i lost my tempor with someone else's kid! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-12-2005, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynJen
AG, are you serious? You think that shaming a child for behaving like a child is funny? We are talking about a four year old little boy.

JuicyLucy, I have to say that I agree with you. I would have to call on all of my internal resources to be able to be gentle with someone who would ever dare speak to my DS that way.

Okay no, I don't think that shaming a child, or the behavior itself was funny. But yes, when I read the post I almost spit my coffee out. I laughed so hard, at the lunacy of it. When my DP tells the story of how he and a friend stole a car in Las Vegas just to impress 2 girls some 15 plus years ago, I laugh at that too. It was wrong in so many ways, but the way they tell it is freakin' hillarious. Punchline that they never got laid is even funnier.

If I had seen a mom behave this way at the park, I'm sure I would have reacted differently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2005, 03:09 PM

OP, you've gotten plenty of commentary on your own comment, so I won't add to that discussion. I'll go here:
Quote:
even better tell me if you have ever siad something mean to someone else's child
You betcha!

REGULARLY, I mean practically every time we're at the playground/funcenter/park, so almost daily, some 4-5year-old will come to us and start demanding "watch me watch me watch me" or something similar, really insistently and loudly. Often the kid adds, "she [my daughter, whom I'm cheering on] can't do that as well as I can, watch ME!"

I don't know if the kids do this because I'm playing more actively that their moms are, or because it's a stage that all/most older preschoolers go through (to be so demanding of strangers), but it annoys the bejeepers out of me. I refuse to give those kids attention; I don't want to reward their annoying insistence, and it would take away from whatever game I'm playing, one-on-one, with my toddler. (If time and my attention permits, I WILL respond to a non-snotty request by another child.) So I just ignore them, which apparently drives them crazy because they keep up the "look at me" business for quite a while afterward. Oh, well. Not my problem.

So I'm a big meanie who rolls my eyes at the "it takes a village" theory. My kid is well-parented because I choose to give her full attention, including at the playground. The other kids are the responsibility of THEIR parents.

Betcha I get some of the flames intended for OP...

The only thing you owe to others is to behave with integrity.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J.
When I've experienced things like that with other children, I try to look at it from a different perspective.

You said the little boy's mom had a newborn. It could be that he is having difficulty adjusting to life with a new babe and feels left out. He was expressing his anger about "babies" to your child. It really had nothing to do with your child, it was about him and his feelings. I think these things are a good opportunity to remind your child that regardless of what others say or think about us, we need to feel good about ourselves and know who we are inside. None of us will ever be able to stop the entire world from saying or doing hurtful things to us or our children, so the best we can do is give our child the tools to deal with these experiences.

I don't think your comments were as much about the little boy as an expression of something you have felt yourself. Maybe there have been times in your life when you've felt mistreated and didn't know how to deal with it. You may have projected that onto both your daughter and your comments to the little boy. These things happen all the time in playgrounds, playgroups, schools etc. If this is an issue for you, maybe this is an opportunity for you to learn and grow and therefore be able to show your little one a different way to handle things.

As for the "rich and crappy neighbours" maybe they are all scared too. Maybe they don't know how to approach someone new. Maybe they feel inadequate in ways and therefore make choices because they want to fit in.

We are all just trying to find our place in the world and figure out who we are.

If you still have emotion and thoughts about this, I'd suggest looking at it more and use it as an opportunity to heal past wounds and grow.
i think we posted at the same time, i did not read your post until i had written mine,
but i wanted to say
thank you!
what you said was the whole truth of it.
wow!
kind
correct
and well spoken.

it is about me being hurt and not being able to stand up for myself, esp. as a child
wanting her to be protected by me and come out on top, so to speak
THANK YOU
that brings me to tears
and that is why i posted here about it
looking for answers reflections and i guess support.
and i guess i don't feel overwhemingly guilty (yet)
b/c i am still so determined to protect my dd at all costs
as i was not protected...
but i did not realize this until
LJ's post
thank you for your very important insight
Old 05-12-2005, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moma justice
ok
she walked up to him and said his name and smiled and his mom wondered over to another side of the playground and my dd pointed at his toys
and said
can i play?
he said
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
don't touch my stuff you are just a little baby and you will break it all
(and his tone was anger, and he said "baby" like it was an insult)
first of all we are talking about a plastic shovel
so i walked up and said, i will help her and make sure she plays with it nicely and i won't let her be rough with it.

and he looked at me like he hated us and said
don't let that baby touch my things, she is just a dumb baby...now go away!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, but I think this was out of line here. If a stranger came up to you and asked you to lend him your car, you probably wouldn't because you'd be afraid he'd break it or not return it. Right? Why was this kid wrong in not wanting someone else to play with his toys? If they were "community toys" (e.g., toys for everyone to play with), he would have been wrong, but here he wasn't.

To put adult pressure on him was not fair, IMHO. He shouldn't be pressured to give up the use of what is his own. If a police officer came up to you and asked you to give up your car for awhile and said he would drive it nicely and not be rough with it, you might do it -- but feel like you'd been muscled into this moment. Right?

I totally agree that what he said was rude and rudely said too, though.

Quote:
so i snapped
it hurt my dd's feelings so much
she was so sweet and polite
so
i looked at him and said
well you are the one that is still in diapers!
she can pee and poop in the potty and you still pee and poop in your pants, like a baby
and she at least has some manners unlike you.
come on dd, we don't want to play with that mean little boy, he is just acts like a baby!

i can not even tell you why or how it cam eout of my mouth
i know i am hormonal right now, but that was pretty bad.
Yeah, that was pretty bad. What went wrong there, hon? Wow, it sounded like that really touched a nerve in you. I've found with me, that stuff which REALLY touches nerves come from old wounds of mine -- moments in my past where someone (for example) has made me feel like a real baby or has excluded me or made me feel worthless.

Quote:
so tell me what you would have done
or even better tell me if you have ever siad something mean to someone else's child
so that i feel like less of a b*tch
Have you thought about why what this little boy said touched such a nerve? Maybe looking at the causes would help you. FWIW, I have thought about saying mean things to other people's children and have come really, really close to it, especially where protecting my daughter is concerned. The thing is, I can feel rising up in me this fierce anger -- the offending child starts to represent all the tormentors I had to deal with as a kid myself, which isn't really fair to the offending child -- hey, half the time, they don't realize the impact of what they're doing or saying. Sorry this happened...
Old 05-12-2005, 03:21 PM

Quote:
and i guess a big part of my fustration was that i have just moved into a VERY wealthy neighborhood, (we rent a basement apt....)

and i am just sick of these crappy moms
these are the moms who keep their babies in bucket seat all day long, dont' breast feed, have scheduled c sections just b/c, spank, and are obsessed with their kids wearing the most expensive kids clothes ever....

and these crappy moms have crappy kids.

period
Moma j., is there any way you folks can move out of that hood? I know what you're saying -- I used to work and live near the kind of 'hood you're talking about. Lots of McMansions, rude drivers in Lexuses and Hummers pushing people all over the road, general snottiness, et cetera, and it made me very unhappy because I confess to some real problems with class and wealth.

As much as I would like to believe that my approach to material goods is one of serene refusal to become entangled in worldly goods (insert Buddhist temple music here), it's really that I'm not rich and am trying to put a good spin on things, at least in part. Rich people bug the cr*p out of me, basically, and make me feel horridly inadequate and lame -- yeah, like I did when I was a kid and didn't have the cool clothes and goodies other kids did because my mom was going through a divorce and had no money.

Sounds like this may be a similar situation for you. Just a guess.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:22 PM

Quote:
THANK YOU
that brings me to tears
and that is why i posted here about it
looking for answers reflections and i guess support.
and i guess i don't feel overwhemingly guilty (yet)
b/c i am still so determined to protect my dd at all costs
as i was not protected...
but i did not realize this until
LJ's post
thank you for your very important insight
I'm glad that what I wrote helped you. I think part of the "gift" of raising our children is that we get more insight into ourselves and opportunities to heal old wounds.
I hope you find some ways to grow from the experience and offer a better way for your child to handle these situations in her life.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:50 PM

Just another quick thought - do you think maybe the little boy reacted that way to your daughter because his mother has told him to keep his toys away from their baby? Maybe he had a habit of piling all of his toys on top of the baby in the carseat or putting all of his stuffed animals into the baby's crib (my oldest always did things like this - she wanted to "share" with her baby brother). Or maybe mom is looking ahead to the time when baby will be putting everything into his/her mouth, so she is teaching her son now that the baby can't play with big brother's toys....
Old 05-12-2005, 03:58 PM

I have to say, that if I ever heard an adult talk to my kids like that, I would lose it in a big way. Just something to consider. That kind of stuff brings out my Mama bear.

charmarty; who's dd's are 4.7 and are in pull ups still for BM's.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:30 PM

There have been enough flames so I won't go there (even though the lesser part of me would certainly like to flame you) I would just say that it *is* perfectly normal for a 4yo (or 4.5yo) to be in diapers. I know it was in fashion 30yrs ago or so, to browbeat a kid into going on the potty. That lead to all kinds of intestinal and emotional issues.

It is also perfectly normal for a 4yo to nurse. I have one to prove it
Old 05-12-2005, 04:38 PM

I just wanted to add something about "losing your temper"....

I have to admit that I don't always keep my temper well with dd. But, while I may get louder and madder, I *stop* at saying hurtful things: namecalling, insulting, attacking, etc.

What I am saying is, in this situation, there is a big difference between getting angry and saying "You may not call my dd names! She is not a baby and she is not dumb! And you are being rude!" and taunting him for using diapers and calling him a mean little boy who acts like a baby. The former is less than ideal, but it expresses emotion without actually attacking character. The latter is a just an attack.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnmama
What I am saying is, in this situation, there is a big difference between getting angry and saying "You may not call my dd names! She is not a baby and she is not dumb! And you are being rude!" and taunting him for using diapers and calling him a mean little boy who acts like a baby. The former is less than ideal, but it expresses emotion without actually attacking character. The latter is a just an attack.

well said!!

Pardon me while I puke.gif

Old 05-12-2005, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnmama
I just wanted to add something about "losing your temper"....

I have to admit that I don't always keep my temper well with dd. But, while I may get louder and madder, I *stop* at saying hurtful things: namecalling, insulting, attacking, etc.

ITA
Old 05-12-2005, 04:54 PM

This thread is a good example of why I try not to judge the parenting of anyone whose child is older than mine. (Okay I try not to judge anybody's parenting, but yk....)

Really really, moms of toddlers who are annoyed by the "preschoolers" at the park, you're gonna feel mighty silly one day when it's your kid. For all you think they are the "big kids" trust me (mom of 4.5 year old and 10 month old) they are really really little.

I'm so glad the kids at your playground aren't scared of strangers at 4 and 5. Someone is doing a great job parenting them to feel that a mommy-stranger would care enough to speak to them and enjoy their play!

Remember if their parents are following the best advice to protect them, they've told them to go to "a mommy or someone who looks like a mommy" if they are in trouble.

Moma Justice: it looks like you've been given a tremendous opportunity to grow through some old pain. It may give some meaning to the pain you caused that little boy if you use it to heal your pain now.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Chfriend-

It always disturbs me a little when I see AP mamas taking such care with their own dc but feeling so little for the other children. I see so many posts where parents (rightly) demand respect and consideration from others towards their dc but then don't seem model that themselves.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:29 PM

Your assumptions and your actions were wrong on so many different levels.

Several pp noted that new mamas seem to have a warped perspective of older children. As many people have said 4 years old is still little; you expected a child, not much more than a baby himself, to respond with the maturity of an adult. Then you, in turn, responded with the maturity--and impulsive cruelty--of a four-year-old. Difference is, you should be old enough to know better. You should be old enough to control your impulses and to use words appropriately. You're certainly old enough to know that words hurt. And you're obviously old enough to use words to justify yourself...and to convince yourself that what you said wasn't really that bad.

It was that bad.

I do think you were taking out your resentment and frustrations on the child, but that's no excuse. In truth, that's what bullies do. They choose someone smaller and weaker and attack. And in their minds, it's usually justified. Or at least minimized. You have successfully minimized your actions to yourself. You seem to understand at some level that you were wrong, but you don't seem to grasp to what extent.

Maybe when your daughter, the one you feel you were justified in protecting so harshly, is four years old, you'll understand. Maybe when an older child bullies her, or when, heaven forbid, another adult speaks to her with as much venom as you used, you might have some idea what you did.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy
Your assumptions and your actions were wrong on so many different levels.

Several pp noted that new mamas seem to have a warped perspective of older children. As many people have said 4 years old is still little; you expected a child, not much more than a baby himself, to respond with the maturity of an adult. Then you, in turn, responded with the maturity--and impulsive cruelty--of a four-year-old. Difference is, you should be old enough to know better. You should be old enough to control your impulses and to use words appropriately. You're certainly old enough to know that words hurt. And you're obviously old enough to use words to justify yourself...and to convince yourself that what you said wasn't really that bad.

It was that bad.

I do think you were taking out your resentment and frustrations on the child, but that's no excuse. In truth, that's what bullies do. They choose someone smaller and weaker and attack. And in their minds, it's usually justified. Or at least minimized. You have successfully minimized your actions to yourself. You seem to understand at some level that you were wrong, but you don't seem to grasp to what extent.

Maybe when your daughter, the one you feel you were justified in protecting so harshly, is four years old, you'll understand. Maybe when an older child bullies her, or when, heaven forbid, another adult speaks to her with as much venom as you used, you might have some idea what you did.
well said.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:48 PM

what would you do if someone said this to your child when she acted with a bit of an extreme attitude at the park?

I say this because it will happen, someday your dd will likely act inapropriately toward some other child, who may be much smaller than her.
If another parent said something like this to her? how would you react? I know my gut reaction and it isn't very pretty.

I am sorry but all the crap about rich people etc etc just makes me gag. It seems like your personal issues (which hey we all have) are coming through in a major way. I would deal with these before your dd picks up on them. (and yes I have my own issues to work out so...)

It is sure to be interesting the next time you run into that little boy at the park.

lula
Old 05-12-2005, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula

It is sure to be interesting the next time you run into that little boy at the park.

lula

I hope like hell she takes the high road and apologises to the poor kid.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula

lula

I hope like hell she takes the high road and apologizes to the poor kid.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:16 PM

Quote:
so if you are saying things like, if this were my kid etc.....
i will just tell you that this is not your kid, this kid would never be your kid, if it were, you would not be here on MDC thinking about being a good mom
The fact is, this boy *could* be mine. He could be any one of ours. We are not in control of what our children say. I think his behavior was completely NORMAL for a 4 year old. Whether autistic, special needs, or typical.

Quote:
so i am sorry it i hurt anyone's feelings and i should say something to dd about being more polite and graceful even when someone hurts your feelings.

and i swear to you, not that some will be open to hearing this,
but that interaction was not the sum of my parenting or social skills.
I just wondered, if you truly feel that you are sorry, will you apologize to this child if you see him at the park again? Will you own up to your actions and express your sincere apologies to his mother?

Also, you say that this incident is not the sum of your parenting and social skills.....I believe you are being truthful, but don't you also think that what you are seeing from some of these mothers might not be the sum of their parenting as well? You are critisizing mothers who have money as being "crappy" parents, when not one of these mothers acted to a child the way you did.

Quote:
i was just sticking up for my dd and at the end of my rope.
And you made sure there was no one to stick up for this boy on his end of the rope.

I really don't want to flame you. Honestly. But, you are giving excuses to justify the exact behavior of anger that you didn't approve of in this boy. And yet, you are an adult.
I really don't think there was any reason---PMS, adjusting to the move, bad day, etc...that could justify your behavior.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:33 PM

I am just curious why you (the OP) would choose such an area to live in if you knew that you wouldn't be compatible with the environment? It's as if you are setting yourself up for failure if you are already judging others around you and hate your living conditions.

And why is it that you assume that if a person has money that they can't be AP? That really bugs me...and sweet-3 said that best.
There are some of us who have money (and maybe even lots and lots of it) who are AP because the parenting choice feels right--which doesn't mean that we have to give up our bank accounts. Some of us can still be LLL leaders and have our kids' educations already paid for! What on earth is wrong with that?
It just means that we are either older, or have planned longer, or were born into a little money. That's it--it has nothing to do with parenting style. PERIOD. And lots and lots of people with money do really really good things with that money--like host children from third world countries, give generously to shelters and are not wasteful or harmful to the earth or to animals/other living creatures. Money isn't always evil.

While you are glad that a few posters have helped you heal childhood wounds, you have (most likely) created childhood wounds for someone else.
And that makes your injury to that child just as bad as the ones you are healing from.

I think your original post and your own responses say a lot about what you expect from the world moreso than anything else. You seem to have a sense of entitlement (you expected this child to give up his toys for your child, etc., your judgments on the other mothers around you), and that's not the way the world works.

I'm sorry if that makes you feel bad, but no one ever handed out "fair play" books to any of us at birth--and it's our job as adults to do the best we can in all situations to rectify that--which includes when others treat us poorly because of our social status, or are cruel to our children-- or even when the weather doesn't go our way and we've planned for months for an outside wedding. And if we can't do that, then we certainly have no business passing our poor attitudes and our sense of entitlement down to our children because we are just making the world a little harder to live in for them.

I hope you can make this situation right--good luck to you.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

i NEVER said that rich peopel are bad parents
ever
that is your issue not mine
and for all of you who are freaking out like i did some kind of life long damage, i think you need to
take a deep breath
get off the computer.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:38 AM

Quote:
i NEVER said that rich peopel are bad parents
ever
that is your issue not mine
and for all of you who are freaking out like i did some kind of life long damage, i think you need to
take a deep breath
get off the computer.
Wow. Denial is harsh.

Did you not say "well you are the one that is still in diapers!
she can pee and poop in the potty and you still pee and poop in your pants, like a baby" to a 4-year-old?!??!?! And you are the adult?!

You said yourself that you didn't know exactly how wrong you were...and here you have 5 pages telling you exactly how wrong you were and why you were wrong and what you should have done differently...and you're still able to point fingers at everyone else?? You owe that child an apology!
Old 05-13-2005, 01:49 AM

This thread has been closed due to personal attacking

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

User Tag List