the issue of infant carseats in our country - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-23-2005, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon0218
So you mean kind of like you are preaching in this group about circing when in some parts of the world the perspective is completely different???
that couldn't be true, because the US is the ONLY country that does RIC.. so you're all alone there..

It's more like here when you hear that circumcision is so necessary and in the rest of the world people are freaked out when they hear about it. At least I was!! and yet, female genital mutilation is illegal here!! the HYPOCRECY is what I am discussing here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2005, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

ok, I gotta go out now, bbl, but if anyone's interested we can go back on topic- discussing this "are carseats good or bad? thing got a bit old-
Old 05-23-2005, 12:43 PM

NO, not everone who removes their child from a car seat causes their death--but I have yet to hear of a child that dies shortly after a circ. And even if you can find me one--it isn't in anywhere even remotely close to the numbers of children who die while unrestrained in a moving vehicle.

As far as illness rates rising, this is what I was getting at when I said you only respond to the people who say it's fine to remove a crying child from his carseat--we already went over this, the reason for the "brainwashing" campain is that the effects of travelling with a child unrestrained are immediately visible and repeatable. Its also something that can actually be enforced.

And for your information, I was not brainwashed by any campain--I was brainwashed the day I had to put sheets over the faces of a young father and his precious baby who were in at best a "fender bender" because those parents thought that mom could hold onto that baby should something happen. I was also brainwashed the day I had to hose an 18 mos little girl named Kelly's grey matter off the pavement, I was brainwashed again when I had to send my dog to locate a child who flew through the windshield into a pile of a brush because we were so afraid one of us would step on him killing him if he wasn't dead already--he was dead, and my dog didn't eat for a week, so you see, my brainwashing comes from actually seeing the effects, if I saw the effects of children dying horrible, traumatic deaths from formula feeding (BTW-the stats you are quoting apply primarily to people who do not properly mix formula-use less formula to make it last, do not use clean water, etc) I may feel as passionately about that as I do about children in car seats--but no government brainwashed me--I saw it, up close and personal, I held and rocked my depressed dog and fest horribly guilty for putting him through that--then I felt mad because neither one of us should have had to go through it.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving-my-babies
that couldn't be true, because the US is the ONLY country that does RIC.. so you're all alone there..

It's more like here when you hear that circumcision is so necessary and in the rest of the world people are freaked out when they hear about it. At least I was!! and yet, female genital mutilation is illegal here!! the HYPOCRECY is what I am discussing here.
Excuse me, but circumcision is most certainly done in other countries--it is a religous requirement for jews and at least one other religous group. Where do you get this stuff from???
Also, while our circ rates are nowhere near as high as the states--we circ in Canada too--and last I checked, we were a country.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:14 PM

Quote:
also, another point that daisy made above. why do you feel that you can group together and call this other group of people stupid (the ones that don't use carseats all the time and that feel they perhaps, wouldn't let their kids to starve in the carseat like some of you have said you would do) why is it that we allow that, when it is not allowed to say that circumcisers are stupid, for example? or ff'ing by choice moms, or CIO'ers?
I, for one, did not call people who don't put their kids in carseats stupid. I said that it's stupid not to put your kid in a car seat. Very smart people can do very stupid things. And for what it's worth, I wouldn't hesitate to say that it's stupid not to bf your baby because you fear saggy boobs.

Namaste!
Old 05-23-2005, 01:27 PM

Quote:
I don't know what RIC is, but I'm assuming it's circumcision, and I'm also assuming that Israel and all the Muslim countries would object to your assertion that they basically don't exist.

Namaste!
Old 05-23-2005, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmamama
I don't know what RIC is, but I'm assuming it's circumcision, and I'm also assuming that Israel and all the Muslim countries would object to your assertion that they basically don't exist.
Actually, they don't practice RIC.

They have a religous ceremony that involves circumcision.

There is a difference, but I really think this is off topic.

Old 05-23-2005, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma
And so what if you unbuckle yourself to nurse your strapped-in baby? If you have an accident your unrestrained body going 45 mph can crush your baby. If your baby survives the accident, will you? Do you want your baby to grow up without a mommy?
I've never unstrapped L from the carseat, but have occasionally nursed her while unbuckling my seatbelt. I hadn't really thought of the above scenario, and I agree that this sounds like good reasoning to not unbuckle myself! Most of the time, though, we either stop for milk or we both of us just have to endure being buckled in. And then, if I can manage it, it's the "mommy show" with songs and games.

For me it's much more important for us to be as safe as possible in the car (which I think is a very dangerous place to be anyway) than it is to delay milk and the comfort associated with getting milk.

User Tag List