Do you let your children wear clothes with holes? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Do your children wear clothes with holes in them?
Yes 110 70.97%
No 45 29.03%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 52 Old 06-05-2005, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you let your children wear clothes that have holes or rips in them, or that are torn or frayed?
#2 of 52 Old 06-05-2005, 02:15 PM

Tonight I put my son's holey sweat pants on when he was going to help me make pizzas.

Also, he has a couple of holey shirts we use for painting.

I have no problem with it, heck the shirt I'm wearing right now has a little holein the front.
#3 of 52 Old 06-05-2005, 02:17 PM

Yes. I have issues with wasting clothes just because they have a little hole or are frayed. I do usually patch them if possble, though. If it is a huge hole or in the crotch and not repairable, then I will pitch them.
#4 of 52 Old 06-05-2005, 02:20 PM

it depends. If he's outside playing in mud and dirt, doing something crafty that is messy like painting.. yes. If he's going to a family gathering, or a get together, or school. No.
#5 of 52 Old 06-05-2005, 02:21 PM

Yes, but not to school or elsewhere in "public" - I don't count playing in the neighborhood or visiting friends as "public", though.
#6 of 52 Old 06-05-2005, 02:21 PM

Yep. Back when I was still dressing them (infant/young toddler) I didn't really care about a hole or loose thread.

Since they've dressed themselves (preschooler-ish?) they've often wore holey clothes, but as they get older I see them not doing it so often.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#7 of 52 Old 06-05-2005, 02:26 PM

I don't think any of my dd's clothes have holes, rips, or are frayed.
If I saw an item in that condition I would try to fix it before she wore it. If it were unfixable I would probably relegate it to a rag bag or get rid of it.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#8 of 52 Old 06-05-2005, 02:43 PM

I have a few clothing items with holes myself. One is an old pair of sweatpants from my Navy days I wear around the house, and the other is one of my favorite skirts. It got a tear in it and I patched it with an iron-on patch.

If DD gets attached to any particular item of clothing, I'll let her have it/wear it as long as she wants.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#9 of 52 Old 06-05-2005, 08:57 PM

My 3-year-old only has one pair of jeans because I've had a hard time finding any that fit her. She's tall and thin. She fell in these jeans and ripped the knee, but since that's the only pair she has she still wears them.
Besides, aren't people paying big bucks for jeans with holes in them? :LOL
#10 of 52 Old 06-05-2005, 09:00 PM

No....it is a pet peeve of mine.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#11 of 52 Old 06-05-2005, 10:01 PM

My oldest dd is really into the jeans with the ripped knee thing.
#12 of 52 Old 06-05-2005, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes, but only jeans.
#13 of 52 Old 06-05-2005, 10:13 PM

sure. i do too.
#14 of 52 Old 06-05-2005, 11:09 PM

Of course.

If she's going to the park, playing around the backyard or the neighborhood, I am more than happy to put her in clothes that are already "ruined."
#15 of 52 Old 06-05-2005, 11:27 PM

Sure, why not? Not that any of them really do, but I don't really take issue with it.
#16 of 52 Old 06-06-2005, 12:11 AM

I voted yes, but like PP said...not to school or when we go away somewhere. For play clothes around here, yes. Of course, DD they're getting to the age (the older two) where they wouldn't be caught dead in holey clothes though.
#17 of 52 Old 06-06-2005, 12:19 AM

Yes, if they want to....their clothes...their bodies...

THey are older now(20, 18, 16 and 11) When dd2(now 16) was 9 or 10 she had this little tye-dye dress that had been her dd1's It had multiple holes(some I did repair) She wore it 2-3 times per week(we homeschooled) We laugh about it now!!!

Granolamom
#18 of 52 Old 06-06-2005, 12:50 AM

I do try to mend clothes but if a hole was the only reason I threw something out my kids would have to go naked.

I am on a budget, so this means some holes will happen.

I do have outfits that are for "dress up"/mall wear that are hole free but if it is not completely worn out or grown out it keeps getting used.
#19 of 52 Old 06-06-2005, 01:04 AM

Yep, we all wear clothes that have holes in them, no big deal here. I hardly ever buy new clothes most of my kids clothes are hand-me-downs and i try to only buy things that are fair-trade products which are more expensive so new clothes in our house are a rare thing.
We are all warm in winter and cool in summer, thats what clothes are for aren't they??
#20 of 52 Old 06-06-2005, 07:43 AM

Yep. DH and I also wear "holey clothes" from time to time. Of course there is a time and place for everything. For instance, DD wore a dress to her Auntie's wedding a couple of weeks ago.
But we're pretty casual around here!
#21 of 52 Old 06-06-2005, 11:23 AM

No. Not even stains. I have issues. :
#22 of 52 Old 06-06-2005, 11:29 AM

If I insisted that Elliott wear hole-free clothing, he'd be pantless. Honestly, we keep one pair of 'good' jeans per season, rotating a pair in if necessary, but other than that, they're all shredded at the knees. With his new denim jacket (worn on all but the hottest of days) and his beat up chuck taylors he really does have a joey ramone vibe---my little punk rocker
#23 of 52 Old 06-06-2005, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Technically, ALL of their clothes have holes in them- all of their shirts and dresses have at least 4- one for the head, two for arms, and one for the waist :LOL Pants have at least 3 holes and skirts have at least 2.

Serioiusly,I won't let my kids out of the house with, say, a huge hole near the crotch of their pants that shows their undies or inner thigh, but I don't have a problem with a tiny hole in the shoulder, knee, elbow, etc.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#24 of 52 Old 06-06-2005, 12:55 PM

DS has 3 sets of clothes "nice" "normal" and "grandma's"

Grandma's house clothes are either beat up and-me-downs or really worn out clothes we paid 25c or less for. Often they are missing buttons or have worn out knees within the week.

"normal" are well-fitting casual clothes and I try to weed out the beat up and too small clothing as I do laundry. Sometimes stuff slips past me, like the camo shirt that DS loves but is 2 sizes too small. He chooses his own clothes from the closet, and there is no convincing him to change if something has a hole. A huge hold in the crotch would be hard to miss, and it would go into mending to get a big patch and be sent to grandma's.

"Nice" clothes are reserved for visiting great grandmas, going out to dinner etc. They are generally a size or 2 too big because they have not been lived in enough yet to be relegated to "normal"
#25 of 52 Old 06-06-2005, 01:12 PM

I've taken ds1 out of the house in a pair of jeans with a hole in the knee. I've been known to wear jeans like that. I mean, it's not a regular occurance; it's more of an oversight. He had one pair of jeans that I kept trying to patch and the patch didn't take. He outgrew them, before I worked up the ambition to sew the patch on (it was an iron-on). If they were pants that still fit him and he liked, I would sew a patch on. When we were kids, we had very patchy jeans. I'm not sure if it was a money issue or the 70s or maybe a little of both.

Anyway, if he leaves the house in holey jeans, it's just for errands or something. I keep some "nice" pants/shirts separate from the play stuff. Dh is not always up on this kind of thing. One day, he took ds1 out in a nice pair of khaki brand-name cargo pants and proceeded to let him roll on the grass. I couldn't get the red dirt stains out. Since then, we've put a separate pile aside for outdoor play clothes and it includes the holey ones.
#26 of 52 Old 06-06-2005, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee
Do you let your children wear clothes that have holes or rips in them, or that are torn or frayed?
Nope, unless they were purposely bought that way or cut that way by me.
I think its tacky, and I want my kids to feel good in what they wear and take pride in their appearance.
#27 of 52 Old 06-06-2005, 03:11 PM

Yes, but if I know we're going out, somewhere other than our neighbor's house, I'll put them in nicer, more intact clothes. No sense in tossing a perfectly good pair of play pants if all they've got is rips in the knees.
#28 of 52 Old 06-06-2005, 03:19 PM

We let them wear clothes w/holes and stains, lol! Obvioulsy, if we're going somewhere nice they put on nice clothes, but otherwise they can wear what they want.

Tearing isn't really an issue for us, I think 12yo ds1 has some jeans w/holes in them, but none of the other kids do. My 3yo's have lots of stained clothes, though!

Kristi

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#29 of 52 Old 06-07-2005, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence
Nope, unless they were purposely bought that way or cut that way by me.
I think its tacky, and I want my kids to feel good in what they wear and take pride in their appearance.

:

even our play clothes are in decent shape.. play clothes are normally cheep $3-$4 cotton shirts, shorts... for winter Ill buy used jeans off ebay.. but they are good, just a little fade condition

I like them to have nice clothes when we go places.. & they have fair sized wardrobes..
I dont spend alot though.. I buy sale items or used in like new condition on ebay
#30 of 52 Old 06-07-2005, 08:02 PM

Depends on the size of the hole.... :LOL

My dss wears through socks like nothing else. OMG, seriously, once a month this boy needs new socks, because he literally wears the entire bottoms out THAT quickly! We don't know how he does it, but he does...

Small holes, I don't mind. Huge, back-of-shirt-wide holes, yeah, time to go! lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page