Note: This is an archived topic. It is read-only. Mothering Boards
Parenting Issues Archive
backpack carriers

This topic is 2 pages long: 1 2
This topic was originally posted in this forum: Parenting Issues
Author Topic: backpack carriers
elimarie
Member posted 07-20-2001 01:50 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does anyone have any advice on what to look for in a backpack carrier? There seem to be a lot of features on the different styles, and I am seeking some help on what to look for. Thanks!

Peggy
unregistered posted 07-20-2001 02:41 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We have a borrowed Kelty. We like it because it is sturdy, has a harness system that keeps you from worrying about falls, and for all that it looks cumbersome, is really light weight and easy to wear.
We use it for my four year old who has a genetic condition called achondroplasia, which is a common form of dwarfism. She has many orthopedic problems and this is the only carrier her Doctors approve of.
It is very pricey, so we were very lucky to be able to borrow one, but I'd buy it out right if I had to. I like it that much!
Peggy

madison
Member posted 07-20-2001 03:17 PM
Here's what I'll be looking for and pricing eventually for my mommy dearest to buy me:
Easy on, easy off.

Hip belts to take the weight off your shoulders and put it on your hips.

Safety belts for the baby so he/she cannot get out or slip through the leg holes.

A ventilated back with mesh that holds the baby part off of my back.

A kickstand to set baby down on while still in the pack.

A detachable zippered bag for goodies and water, housekeys and such.

Something that fits in the trunk of my car.

Bells and whistles that are detachable like a weather hood.

The back has to come up high enough so that when babe falls asleap, his head doesn't loll to the side or back too much.

A 30-day fully refundable trial period!

Registration forms so that if it's recalled for safety reasons, I'll be notified.

Blue

mountain momma
Member posted 07-21-2001 12:54 AM
check out Tough Traveler, 1 800 go tough... that one has seemed to work great for me.. I did alot of research to find a really good one and it got top scores in product testing... I hiked every day with #1ds and it was always comfortable.. and I could take ALL of the weight off my shoulders and put it on my hips. It has all of the features you were looking for...

Becca
Moderator posted 07-21-2001 09:23 AM
I have a Tough Traveller too, which I still use for my 3yo. It's really comfortable and has a big pouch underneath for storing stuff.
Blessings, Becca

rebamama
Member posted 07-21-2001 10:14 AM
I currently have a Kelty and an REI backpack.The REI is great for just around the house and such but the Kelty is the best outdoorsy one.Tough Traveler is my absolute favorite though.I had two stolen from my cars in a one year period.The first time they stole my whole car and took that with them.A year later with a different car they just broke in and took it!Needless to say i couldn't afford another one so a friend gave me the Kelty and i got the REI from a thrift store.They sell the Tough Traveler's here from time to time at the thrift/consignment stores.

swimmingmama
Member posted 07-21-2001 11:42 AM
I too have the Tough Traveller and LOVE it! I got as a hand-me-down so I have no idea how much they cost.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page