Do you let people/family members take your child out? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 34 Old 06-19-2005, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I let my parents take my kids places- just this morning my Dad took ds with him to the supermarket.

BUT- I live in my parents house (in a separate apt.) I personally installed the carseats in their cars. I don't have a problem with either of them disciplining my kids.

There hasn't been an occasion for other family members to take ds anyplace, and I probably wouldn't allow it if I didn't trust that person. I have much less hesitation with my girls- they have playdates at friends' houses, cousins have taken them to the zoo, etc. It really is different with older kids.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 20, Hannah, 19, and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 34 Old 06-19-2005, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My fear is not discipline, but accidents. My children are 3 and 1 1/2.
My parents are in their 60s, they have no clue about babyproofing, and neither does my brother, who is 37--but his child is a newborn, so he has little experience with walking toddlers.
They wouldn't get the concept of watching the children closely around strange approaching dogs (a friend of mine's child was mauled to death by a neighborhood dog--one that the kids knew), and there are always the fears of running an errand and leaving the children in the car (heat stroke, possible death in the summer--people are more likely to forget kids in the car if they are not used to taking them with them all the time), etc., and foods that others give them that they might choke on (hot dogs cut the wrong way come to mind).
All that being said, I am home with them and they are rarely out of my care (once for a hair appt. and once for an eye exam), so in my particular case, I am not sure what their behavior would be like.
I can say that my parents really drop the ball on many things when *I* am there with the kids--from bathroom doors wide open with the toilet seat up, to hot stoves pans with the handles sticking out, etc.
So for me, safety is the real issue.
#33 of 34 Old 06-19-2005, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
When my kids were 3 we didn't let them go places with other people. Safety was the big issue for us, too. Car seats, holding hands in parking lots, etc were REALLY big deals to me and honestly no one in family or my DH family could understand that.

If you aren't totally comfortable with it, just say no. You need to do what is best for for your child. This shouldn't be about what makes other grown ups happy.

My kids are 7 and 8, have good judgement, and go all sorts of places with trusted adults. It's a lot different when they are older.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#34 of 34 Old 06-19-2005, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yeah..it sounds like you don't trust your mil. so just tell her no.

i have left both kids with my parents and they have taken the kids out for an hour or so. dd (4 in july) has had two overnights w my parents. i trust them. i don't trust my mil and she has asked repeatedly to keep dd but we don't let her. plain and simple.

usamma-mil would try to feed my dd meat, too ! wth.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page