nude recreation with kiddos? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-11-2005, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think this thread got onto a bad tangent, but I wanted to jump in here with my thoughts on the topic.

My dh and I enjoy nude recreation and have joined a club with great facilities in New Jersey. One of our favorite parts about the club (other than the freedom of swimming nude and no tan lines!) is seeing all the kids that go. If you can find a truly family-friendly place (and some are not) - I highly recommend it for kids!

My dh and I have talked A LOT about kids and nudism (we're TTC#1) amongst ourselves and with the parents who bring their kids to the club. We see several benefits for bringing your children to a clothing optional resort or club:

- It seems that it gives kids such a good sense of body image...I know it has helped ME tremendously to see what bodies are SUPPOSED to look like! At the club, there are bodies of every shape, size, color and age (I've even met a woman who had a masectomy). It is a good counter to the unrealistic images that we are bombarded with in the media.

- It teaches them that bodies are not something to be ashamed of or hidden, and that nudity doesn't equal sexuality. I would think this group with so many BF advocates could appreciate anything that de-sexualizes breasts.

I know that once kids get to a certain age that modesty or embarrasment naturally develops - however at the club we go to there is a 11-12 year old girl who is just starting to go through puberty (the point in my life where I would have LEAST wanted to be naked around other people) and she's out there swimming with the rest of us with no sense of shame or embarrasment. I love that! How cool would it be to have a teenager that felt that way about their body, rather than one who started dieting at 10?

My dh and I plan to bring our kids to places like that so they have a better chance of avoiding body issues, so they are less mesmerized by ads that sell with sex, and so they know what 'normal' really is.

In addition, the people that we have met at the club have been so nice and genuine. I would trust my kids around any of them! I definitely think it depends on the club/resort though...I've been to a few that I will never go back to, nor would I take children to. Good ones can be found though! There are lots of resources online (which is how we found the place in NJ).

I must say it's good for adults too...everyone sags, wrinkles, gets cottage-cheese (even men!), balds, and grows hair where they don't want it. Nudism helps you realize that you are beautiful just the way you are!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2005, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless Wonder
I assume because she was fat, it was *SO* much worse?

How do you feel about Jews farting? What about black people?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lckrause

They stink too, but not as bad as fat people.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

[ETA: That was a joke. Before anyone goes apeshit. :LOL ]
Your post is many, many things lckrause, but one thing it is not is a joke.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle
Your post is many, many things lckrause, but one thing it is not is a joke.
Actually, it was a joke. Specifically, silliness in reply to the IMHO over-the-top reactions of the PPs (plural). Honestly, what does it matter how fat or what color the person is who just farted in your face. :LOL And why turn a thread about trying to find nudist resorts into a size discrimination/racism one?

to you too, Periwinkle.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunintheOven
I've done it (without children)
But one fat woman farted in my face, I was pretty grossed out by that, I never went back. Nothing worse than a fart from someone without pants on.

It wasn't just a "poof" it was a full out FART, ok!

I do not want my kids around that nasty stuff.

~L
Why would you have your face near someone's butt? Clothed or otherwise?
Old 08-13-2005, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy
okay, the word "clubs" just threw me off.

but all the same.
Actually, it is illegal to bring a minor to a strip club. Nude family recreation is legal. You should follow the aanr link and educate yourself before making judgements.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:05 AM

I'd do it! No problem at all. I wonder if DH would? Around the house he's been more comfortable with his body than me, but I've caught up since I've been married to him.

20/20 or something had a special on it. They featured this nude grandmother and her teenage grandchildren. She was at a place where they live 24/7 nude. The g'ma said that her teenage daughter had become SO much more comfortable with her developing self since she started visiting at the place. They showed a backshot of the g-ma and teenage boy and girl. Seemed quite healthy to me.

As for modesty being a "natural state." No - I don't think that's true. It's cultrually imposed. Just look at all of the tribes that go nude. The children don't develop modesty some magic age. They learn to hide their bodies from their culture.

The only problem now though is that if my 2 yo saw my breasts 24/7 she'd never get off them. :LOL

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:29 PM

Ladies, sorry to be off topic, but (quoting from Max)

"lots of the mamas here are pretty sensitive right now do to the diaper picture crisis,"

What does this mean? I am sort of afraid to ask...
Old 08-16-2005, 03:44 PM

I *believe* it was found that some weird-o sex site was stealing cloth diaper pictures and putting them up for sickos to get their jollies with. And the sick-os would trade personal info like "Do you know if there is a family website? Where can I get more pictures of this kid."

Terrifying eh?

Old 08-16-2005, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellien C
I *believe* it was found that some weird-o sex site was stealing cloth diaper pictures and putting them up for sickos to get their jollies with. And the sick-os would trade personal info like "Do you know if there is a family website? Where can I get more pictures of this kid."

Terrifying eh?

Omg! That is just disgusting.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:40 PM

For the record, DH and I are TTC #1, so we haven't hit this yet. But, while we were in Europe this summer, this came up because its just a part of life over there. You don't have to seek out places, you just go to the public beach where there will most likely be quite a few topless and every once and a while completely nude adult and A LOT of completely naked children. (On a side note, one of the cutest things I saw in Europe was this little 2 year old girl, naked except for her shoes, running along the promenade in front of her parents who were taking a break from the beach to get an ice cream! So cute... would have loved a picture for cuteness sake, but that is inappropriate, so I didn't). In fact, the majority of pre puberty girls are just in little bikini bottems.

I went with the topless thing and would do so again in front of my future kids without thinking twice. In fact, we will purposely try to include beach vacations in Europe just to allow our children to be comfortable either way... its a nice mix and wonderful to see soo many natural bodies instead of the sexed up stuff we see on American beaches. I'd like them to be able to see a man in a speedo (or completely nude) and not go "yuuuuccckkk". (On another side note, I was amazed how few augmented breasts were in Europe... even though US public beaches aren't nude, man alive, I'd be embarressed to let my kids see some of the women in their tiny "tops" all augmented to timbuckto...talk about giving the wrong impression.)

I'm not sure I would seek out a nudist club only because I'm not sure its worth the effort seeing as we do frequently travel to Europe and I would be a little concerned about pressuring my kids to be nude. I think the whole point is to allow them to be tolerant and to be themselves... so to go to a nudist club where it is mandatory may be to pushy for me. A mixed club would be perfect, but I'm not sure how available those are in the US.

And for all you naysayers... how do you think you allow breasts to be less sexual and more about breastfeeding? There are many that believe seeing them as natural instead of covering them up is a big step towards that.

As far as tips: bring sunscreen and lots of it.

Oh, and taking them in Europe where it really isn't a choice is a nice way to avoid the whole "seeking it out" think w/ my conservative family... but I realize not everyone has those options (or a conservative extended family!)
Old 08-16-2005, 06:24 PM

I haven't been to any nudist clubs, although I've looked into them. My aunt lives a few miles from Avalon, in West Va.
Anyway, I wanted to say that I wouldn't hesitate to bring my kids if they wanted to go. I'd explain that people don't waer their clothes at this place, but that it was fun and they were welcome to come along if they wanted.

Now, I grew up in Japan (after age 10), and spend many evening at the hot baths there, and some were co-ed. When I was first invited, I declined, out of embarrassment, but all my friends went with their families... After awhile, I got curious, and started going. It's not a big deal. It's common there to go, even if you're just staying the night a friend's house. About 8 o'clock, everyone ups and goes to the hot bath, where you shower and then soak in nice hot baths together. When I was in high school, I even once had a slumber party where we all went to the hot baths together.

Nude recreation (and bathing) together is not new, and it's not wierd.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:26 PM

I would like to do something like that with my little ones I think my 8 year olds would be embaressed. I like to give my younger children the idea that God made our bodies and they are nothing to be ashamed of.

I have so many issues with my IL's and their ideas of sexuality and how our bodies should be hidden, kept secret. I am trying to combat the ideas my IL's put in my kids heads like only older girls can change baby girls diapers and boys changed by men. No one can be changed in front of anyone and no one should ever investigate their own body. I am nude alot in my own house and my kids are ok with that. they come into the bathroom while I shower and talk to me as I get dried and dressed. we have had an open door in our bathrooms since the kids we...born really. I would like to have my kids see at a small age that a body is natural and not something to be hidden and ashamed of. I don't think this is a SEX "thing" but rather a self confidence 'thing".
Old 08-18-2005, 07:09 PM

Well - I talked to DH. His reply was

no how, no way, nada, but:

Have fun honey if you want to go. You mistake how I am in private (nude!) with how I would be in public.

I wonder if my mom would go with me....

Old 08-18-2005, 08:12 PM
Dar

I took my daughter to Harbin Hot Springs when she was 5 or so. She wore her swimsuit some of the time, as I recall. It wasn't an issue - about half of the kids did, especially the older ones, and an occasional adult wore one as well.

At that time, her eye-level was at the average adult's crotch-level, so crowds were somewhat overwhelming... but it was basically okay.

The worst thing was that it's just not a kid-friendly place, even though kids are permitted. Kids were restricted to two of the 5 pools, for example, and if adulst were in the pool with kids they were expected to keep their voices low, and the adults were into this thing where one would sort of cradle-hold another and walk around the pool, some weird therapy thing. Lots of odd people. Oh, and we camped, and some idiot came over when we first got there and asked me to ask my daughter not to use her "big outside voice" when she wasn't being any louder than the rest of us, she was just talking... and then they stayed up really late talking outside and kept us up.

Anyway, I would check and make sure the place was actually *welcoming* to kids, rather than just allowing them... there's a place near Santa Cruz that's much nicer, something like Blackberry?

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

Old 08-20-2005, 12:30 AM

I think this a very cool idea. But I wanted to jump in quick to say that we once treated a mentally ill man in the ER (i am an ER nurse) who was picked up at a nudist "family resort". His sole purpose of being there was to oogle young children. I'm sure you thought about this and the pros and cons. I just feel it would irresponsible of me not to share.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole
As far as tips: bring sunscreen and lots of it.
Sadly, this isn't enought to protect against skin cancer. It might actually be worse because it gives people a false sense of security. A beach umbrella and limiting exposure between 10am- 4pm would be more effective.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Pants do serve as fart filters, now don't they. Oh, my. Don't eat beans before going to a nudist resort.
:LOL

You know, I would think this is a pretty fun idea but the pedophile issue scares me. Of course, they're out there anywhere but I bet this would be a magnet. We had an article this summer about how many sex offenders the police have found hiding in the bushes by our local lake.

Would a private beach be an option? Maybe hard to find but I know we vacation on private beaches here. And when we visit inlaws, their backyard and pool area is completely private. I bet you could find some resorts that have private villas, etc.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:57 PM

I am so very surprised and disturbed that so many mamas here at MDC are so judgmental these days. Thank goodness not every post is but come on I feel like I am reading at Babycenter or some other mainstream junk site.

To the OP, I am so sorry you have gotten a lot of flack. I swear this place is not always like this.

I don't know a thing about nudism, though I was at a naked beach once on my honeymoon.

I'd go with my kids if I were into it though. I wouldn't let them out of my sight on any vacation- naked or otherwise.

Have fun!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
Old 08-21-2005, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMommy
:LOL

You know, I would think this is a pretty fun idea but the pedophile issue scares me.
The club we joined in NJ had a strict screening process. We were interviewed twice on the phone before we were allowed to visit. They checked our IDs when we first showed up (to make sure we were who we said we were). Then we had to interview with several people throughout the day before they'd agreen to let us join. They don't allow singles (only couples) and are pretty tight on who they invite. They didn't do a background check, but I felt fairly secure with the screening process.

Not all places are like this. Some let anyone in if they're willing to pay the entrance fee. If you're worried about it, try to find a place with a good screening policy. Beaches and places open to the public do not feel nearly as safe and reliable as private clubs.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy
Thank goodness not every post is but come on I feel like I am reading at Babycenter or some other mainstream junk site. [/b]
I see your point, to an extent... but it might be time to revisit Babycenter. This place will seem like heaven when you come back. :LOL

And about giving the OP "flack" - it's called questioning a decision and perhaps offering a differing opinion. That's generally a positive thing. I don't remember anyone personally attacking the OP. (Of course, I also haven't re-visited the entire thread).
Old 03-04-2014, 02:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

PLEASE SE MY POST REPLY TO POST<DO YOURUN AROUND THE HOUSE "NEKKIED"....MY AND MINE LIVE IN THE TROPICS.............AND I HAVE SEVERAL KIDS.........PLEASE SEE POST

Old 03-04-2014, 02:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

PLEASE SEE MY REPLY POST TO THE MOMS POST,"DO YOU RUN AROUND THE HOUSE "NAKKID"...I THINK THAT THIS WILL ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS.IF YOU HAVE MORE QUESTIONS,PLEASE CONTACT ME,I TEACH YOGA,VEGAN HOMESCHOOL AND WE KNOW THAT THE BODY IS NOT NASTY,BUT BEAUTIFUL,AND WE SHOULD TECH OUR CHILDREN SUCH...BUT SE MY POST,IT IS SEVERAL BELOW YOURS

User Tag List