How do you dress your kids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 130 Old 07-01-2005, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious.
Some moms are all about the kids looking nice in public- outfits matching down to the shoes and socks- hair nicely done( matching hair stuff for the girls) etc.
And some do not give a care- and nothing matches- hair is not brushed- etc.

Where do you fall?
I must say I am somewhere in the middle. I would love it if ds looked put together alot of the time... but I am also pracitcal- and hectic- his hair is never brushed and his socks may not match...and I got him these cute outfits to make it easy- well that would be great if I ever had each peice washed at the same time!
#2 of 130 Old 07-01-2005, 12:32 AM

:

My dd is a fashion plate--matching hair bows and all. She just got two new dresses for $1.75 and $2.00 yesterday at a resale place. They are super cute, but I'll admit to being bugged because neither matches her sandals.
#3 of 130 Old 07-01-2005, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My kids have dressed themselves for a number of years now, but even when I dressed them (or when my role was much bigger at least lol...) I was never the "must be color cordinated and have perfect hair" kind of mom. I dressed them in knits, denim, one piece outfits, mix-n-match cotton seperates, overalls, sandals, hikers, tennis shoes, and just ... whatever we were given or found we liked.

We got dirty and we had many holes & rips over the years. Ds had long hair till he was about 5 and he often wore it in a braid, but sometimes he didn't even brush it lol. Dd wouldn't ever wear the cute hair things in her hair as a toddler, but she likes some of that now (at 11.5). At this point they have their own unique clothing likes and dislikes and other than offering my opinion sometimes I am out of it. Which is good... I have enough trouble deciding what to wear for myself somedays.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#4 of 130 Old 07-01-2005, 12:35 AM

I'm in the middle too. But I must admitt, I love buying clothes for DS. He wears mostly Old Navy and Childrens Place, and I usually buy outfit sets, and I'm pretty obsessive about making sure he wears them together. As for hair, mine doesn't have any...LOL. And he wears white socks no matter what.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#5 of 130 Old 07-01-2005, 12:35 AM

They're 2 & 4 and they're totally on their own. I don't even argue re: pants vs shorts but will bring along some shorts b/c they always change their minds once we're out in the sun.

I do prefer really bright colors so I can spot them easily. :LOL They're quite active and quick little fellers. So, I stock their drawers w/reds and oranges.
#6 of 130 Old 07-01-2005, 12:39 AM

If we're leaving the house or someone is coming over she's dressed up, everything matches, hair in pigtails with cute little bows, and matching shoes ect. She won't wear socks though, she just rips them off, not sure what I'll do about that this winter. But she loves her shoes, she has a serious shoe fetish :LOL not sure where she gets that from since I only have 2 pairs but every time she sees a pair of shoes she wants to look at them and try them on. Most of her outfits are dressy or actual dresses, I buy most of her clothes second hand but don't get anything that's stained or ripped or anything.

I grew up with next to nothing and wearing rags constantly, I was teased because of it and I guess I just don't want her to go through that. Rationally I tell myself we're going to homeschool anyway so it's not as big of an issue but I want her to have more then I did either way and end up going overboard, partly because everything I buy is so cheap(I pay anywhere from a quarter to a couple dollars usually per peice).
#7 of 130 Old 07-01-2005, 12:39 AM

Top and bottoms must match, but hair tends to be wild and I don't bother with socks.

ETA - by match I don't mean every last thing is a matching set, just that I don't put things together that don't coordinate well.
#8 of 130 Old 07-01-2005, 12:42 AM

My boys are 5 & 7 and well.... I usually dress them very nicely and I try not to leave the house without their hair done, including gel for the older one. Sometimes they dress themselves and they look like a horror to me and I say Screw it and out we go.:LOL But most of the time when they pick out their clothes they do ok. My 7 yr old likes to dress nicely and he usually picks something good and if I tell him the shirt does not match ( which is rare since he has mostly jeans and khakis) he will change. Also I only buy them white socks so even if they are not the same white sock no one but I will know. I am a bit of a coordinating freak myself and I admit that I like them to look put together especially if we are going somewhere important, around the house or yard they are ok in whatever they feel like wearing.

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#9 of 130 Old 07-01-2005, 12:43 AM

I am a bit of a stickler for clean and combed.... We don't do matching everything, but the kids have comfortble and cute clothes to choose from. I like Ellie to look like a little girl still, although she will be 10 soon :LOL She likes sundresses and casual things, except for parties, then she likes dresses, too.

My mom used to call unkempt children 'ragamuffins" I guess I absorbed some of that....I am working on it, though

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#10 of 130 Old 07-01-2005, 12:44 AM

same here, I buy a lot of individual peices that coordinate with something else she has. And another thing I just thought of is that I really enjoy dressing her up, I wanted a baby for so long, I just love taking tons of pictures and I like everything to look perfect. I don't like looking at pictures where she's in just a diaper and she's covered in food LOL although it's kind of cute I'm partial to the ones where she's wearing a dress with the cute hairties and frilly socks. My family thinks its weird because I hated wearing dresses when I was a kid, I guess they thought I would have my dd be a tomboy too hehe
#11 of 130 Old 07-01-2005, 12:48 AM

my 4 year old dresses himself and i just go with it. if we are going to a special function or family event, then i'll give hime choices. and, naturally, he picks out the most obnoxious combinations: plaid and stripes, long sleeves in 90 degree weather, etc. he wore a tuxedo to a wedding a while back (found the tux at a yard sale for $5. bargain!) and he totally loved that thing. he would often wear the tux shirt with cotton knit shorts or the tux pants with a cotton tee. lately, he's taken to wearing a batman outfit. i just let him do his own thing.

since dd is just a babe, i have control over what she wears. usually it's just soakers and tees. or cute little comfy knit dresses for church. she doesn't wear shoes. and usually i pull her hair up in a pony tail otherwise it will hang in her face.

i do try to ensure that their faces and clothing are *relatively* clean when in public.
#12 of 130 Old 07-01-2005, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don't dress my kids- they dress themselves!! OK, Jack can't quite dress himself yet, but Hannah dresses him almost as much as I do!!

I let the girls pick out their own clothes, do their own hair, etc. I gently encourage them to match, have brushed hair, and be neat, but I don't insist on it. I do insist on a certain amount of modesty- clothes can't be too tight or too skimpy, but I don't really care if there are seams coming out, stains, small holes, etc, or if Hannah gives up on finding 2 socks that match and just wears mismates.

For the most part, everything in Jack's wardrobe co-ordinates, and I'm equally unconcerned if something is worn or stained, or if he manages to select shorts and a shirt that clash.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#13 of 130 Old 07-01-2005, 01:01 AM

Comfortable. My girls wear a lot of cotton clothing and never wear anything they can't get dirty in. I only brush there hair after a bath and thats it. They don't like having there hair brushed at all!
#14 of 130 Old 07-01-2005, 01:43 AM

K I'm kind of anal about this one, I guess, lol. Since my kids were born, I've always made sure that their clothes match & that they look clean & well kempt. At home when they are playing outside, or when we're fishing or something, I don't care so much, as long as it's seasonally appropriate, & when they are in the house they are usually in the buff or boxer briefs, lol. In public & especially to school or special events, though, they wear nice dressy/casual type clothing. I keep their hair cut short & they like to gel it sometimes. They also wear deoderant. My 5 month old DS doesn't wear shoes usually because it is Summer & he can't walk yet, but I NEVER take my older kids anywhere without at the very least a pair of flip flops on. One of my pet peeves is to see kids out in public wearing nothing but a diaper or in nasty clothes & no shoes, especially if their parents are dressed to the hilt. I also don't like for mine to have dirty hands or faces-I keep baby wipes in my car for quick clean-ups. I think when you're out & about & your children (or you) look like ragamuffins, it reflects badly on you as a parent. Now, I'm not saying I put on a full regalia every time I go somewhere (I DO have four kids, after all), but I do at least make an effort to be clean, neat, & presentable...make-up is optional, lol.
#15 of 130 Old 07-01-2005, 01:45 AM

I've given up on having my girly girl fashion plate. My DD is usually in something comfy. I try to pick out really cute clothes for her when I shop, but I also try to be practical, because nearly everything that she owns has some kind of stain on it. Around the house, we stay comfy, and for the most part, I dress her in comfy clothes when we go out. As far as everything matching, I make sure that what she's wearing goes together, but I don't stress out about coordinating shoes, etc. I also don't worry about hair brushing, because she hates having her hair done, and it's very curly and kind of long, so it's usually just a big mess, but if she doesn't mind, then it's her hair. Sometimes she'll let me put her hair up in pigtails or a ponytail, which I think is so cute, but mostly she just yanks her pigtails out, so why bother?
#16 of 130 Old 07-01-2005, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookClanMama
I think when you're out & about & your children (or you) look like ragamuffins, it reflects badly on you as a parent
Barring neglect, I think it relfects well on a parent that they aren't caught up in the beauty paegent of life. I probably care more than I should.
#17 of 130 Old 07-01-2005, 01:57 AM

Skanda lets me pick his clothes out for the day. He has a lot of input when we go shopping though. He likes yellow and blue. I let him buy a Power Rangers t-shirt He just seemed so thrilled with it that I couldn't say no. I'm not sure he even knew who the Power Rangers were, just liked the shirt.

Nadia dresses herself. Pink from head to toe. Sometimes she'll let me pick her clothes out and I have to point out the pink somewhere in her outfit or she won't wear it. I'm not allowed to put her clothes on her though. She has to dress herself. She usually wears pants and a shirt. Sometimes she wears dresses. But she always has to have pants under her dress. Today it was jeans and a knee length, sleeveless dress (with pink flowers on the dress and pink flowers on the jean pockets).

Amelie is usually in something comfy like a sleeper or a onsie and pants. She does have a few dresses but she's mostly in pants or overalls.

I almost always brush their hair and wipe their faces before we leave the house, but if we are out all day long, you may not know I ever did that. I'd say that my kids usually look mostly put together but not perfect and sometimes they look kinda "funny"
#18 of 130 Old 07-01-2005, 02:13 AM

Quote:
One of my pet peeves is to see kids out in public wearing nothing but a diaper or in nasty clothes & no shoes, especially if their parents are dressed to the hilt. I also don't like for mine to have dirty hands or faces-I keep baby wipes in my car for quick clean-ups. I think when you're out & about & your children (or you) look like ragamuffins, it reflects badly on you as a parent.
I'd much rather have my child look "unpresentable" in public than have her go through life worrying about what other people think of her appearance.

My mom was always so anal about what we looked like when we left the house - everything had to match, be ironed and neat, hair had to be done, etc. We weren't allowed to pick out our own outfits. I almost didn't get to take my SAT's because my mom said that the jeans I picked out were wrinkled and that I needed to iron them or change my clothes before she'd drive me to the SAT's. This was all because she thought that it reflected badly on her if her kids weren't dressed perfectly. All I ever got from it were a lot of self esteem issues that I still deal with to this day.

I'd rather my DD be allowed to have fun and be a kid than worry about what someone thinks of her clothing. If that makes me a bad parent in someone's eyes, then I feel more sorry for them than they probably do for me or my DD.
#19 of 130 Old 07-01-2005, 02:20 AM

If we leave the house ds is fully dressed in clothes that match (I love smocked bubble rompers). He's not a steady walker yet, so I don't bother with shoes and it's too hot around here for socks.

He doesn't have enough hair to bother with brushing. I wipe his hands and feet before we go out and that's about it.
#20 of 130 Old 07-01-2005, 02:21 AM
nym

clothes? My kids are often in diapers and a t-shirt.. if in public I put a pair of wool shorts on them At home my toddler is naked.
#21 of 130 Old 07-01-2005, 02:35 AM

DD picks her own clothes, and, in typical 3yo style, they rarely match. THe only reason my own clothes match is that all I own are jeans shorts and tshirts, and they ALWAYS go together. :LOL DS gets the top t-shirt on the pile, and shorts if he's wearing a velcro diaper cover. Whether my kids' clothes match is so far off of my priority list that I can't even see it. (Of course, I went thru my entire junior year of high school without once wearing a matching pair of socks, so I may have a bit of a bias there.)

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
#22 of 130 Old 07-01-2005, 02:42 AM

I love dressing my kids and my daughter in particular.
My son usually picks his own clothes these days.

They're pretty much always dressed very nicely and for sure always dressed comfortably. So far neither has ever owned sweats as I just don't care for that look at all.

People comment about them being dressed up pretty often. Funny, because they're just dressed in clean, pretty basic, nice quality clothing.
Almost all of their clothing comes from ebay or consignment shops and it all makes its way back there or a donation bin.

~Daednu
#23 of 130 Old 07-01-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookClanMama
One of my pet peeves is to see kids out in public wearing nothing but a diaper or in nasty clothes & no shoes, especially if their parents are dressed to the hilt. I also don't like for mine to have dirty hands or faces-I keep baby wipes in my car for quick clean-ups. I think when you're out & about & your children (or you) look like ragamuffins, it reflects badly on you as a parent.
For me to feel that a kid in a diaper and no shoes, or maybe one with some crumbs or berries on their face, reflects badly upon me as a parent I would first have to believe that diapers, barefeet, and crumbs or berries were negative/bad things that shouldn't be seen and that just isn't the case. Perhaps it's where I live but seeing a barefoot kid in a diaper eating just isn't a biggie.

Quote:
but I do at least make an effort to be clean, neat, & presentable...make-up is optional, lol.
Which is cool by me. I guess the definition of presentable is where we differ

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#24 of 130 Old 07-01-2005, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dechen
Barring neglect, I think it relfects well on a parent that they aren't caught up in the beauty paegent of life. I probably care more than I should.

I couldn't agree more.

#25 of 130 Old 07-01-2005, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleaugustbaby
I'd much rather have my child look "unpresentable" in public than have her go through life worrying about what other people think of her appearance.
AMEN! My dd is 5 and I let her pick out her own clothing. I do have her
put her clothing in her hamper before bed, and she knows not to dig threw
it to find something to wear. But stripes with plaid, or her favorite is to
wear pants with dresses, it's all fine by me. Most of the time she matches
okay, some days not at all. She's happy, and comfortable. So am I.

-Janna, independent mother of dd, Ms. Mattie Sky born on my 25th birthday, 06*23*2000. My Mama Feb.21,1938-Sept.10,2006
#26 of 130 Old 07-01-2005, 05:44 AM

Well, ds is under 2, so I still get to dress him - so he's usually cute and matches! Short curly hair as well - I never brush it, but it looks adorable (and neat!) anyway.

My dds are a different story. Both of them insist on dressing themselves, and dd1 especially is REALLY into clothes being comfortable. So - she rarely matches, but at least SHE feels good, and that's the main thing.

DD2 will be guided by me a little more, so she tends to match. But they'll sometimes wear really weird shoe/sandal choices (i.e., something that really doesn't go with whatever clothes they are wearing).

Hair - well, we brush it in the morning, otherwise the tangles are unbearable at night (both of my girls like to play with their hair). Otherwise, we just go - which could mean lots of frizz. But it just isn't worth the aggro from them to wet their hair down, and if they dont' care, why should I?

(although that said - for special occasions when I'm wanting cute pictures to send to grandparents, I do kind of insist...and if that doesn't work, I bribe! :LOL )
#27 of 130 Old 07-01-2005, 07:43 AM

I love dressing my boys. I thought the novelty would wear off after I had my first, but nope! I like comfy clothes with no noticeable name brands. Love my Hannas....so comfortable and cute for the kids. I really don't mind spending the extra $ because they hold up so much better than your department store name brands. I love catalog shopping, so I buy most of the boys clothes that way. I also love dressing them alike or different colors of the same outfit. Its so much easier and they look adorable!
Around the house, its just play clothes or underwear!
#28 of 130 Old 07-01-2005, 08:08 AM

Generally when we are going somewhere my dd's clothes go together fairly well & are clean... not a stickler for matching shoes, socks or hair accessories. She has one pair of sandals, a pair of tennis shoes and one pair of dressy shoes. So she wears the pink sandals or white tennis shoes with pretty much everything. A lot of her clothes mix and match pretty well to begin with so it isn't a huge issue. If she really insists on an uncoordinated outfit I would let her wear it.

I do insist that my dd have her hair brushed before we go somewhere. It doesn't have to be done up in braids or bows but just be brushed. At home she can wear whatever and go with unbrushed hair if she is so minded.
I do try to keep her as clean as possible because dirty faces and hands are a pet peeve of mine. She still gets to play in dirt or finger paint and have fun. We just wash when done with the activity.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#29 of 130 Old 07-01-2005, 08:23 AM

How do my kids dress?

In a way that indicates I prob would not be posting on MDC. :LOL

My dd's dress what can only be described as "trendy." (Tractor Jeans, Juicy, Churchgirl, Guitar Pick, Lemon, C &C Clothing Co...I bet not that many hear have heard of these brands for kids)

I never had stuff like this, wanted it and buy it for my girls. So far, they have loved it.

We spend alot of time (and $$$) at the local "tween boutique". It's one of my big pleasures to take them shopping there.
#30 of 130 Old 07-01-2005, 08:25 AM

most of what the boys own are hand me downs, the last big pile of clothes they were given was all surfy stuff, very cool : I don't really fret over what they wear and they have chosen what to wear since they were able to dress them selves. I do however like them to wear shoes when we go to town.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page