Cheerleading...ugh - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-04-2005, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradoc

Now that I'm *grown up* I find myself hoping my daughter will want to be on the team instead of cheering for the team.
Competition cheer teams ARE a real sport and require just as much dedication, and athletisism as any other sport
As far as the booty shaking goes I am so glad that you were able to vocalize your concerns and have them listened to, as a long time cheer mom here are my suggestions if anything like this comes up again:

1. Check with the cheer division they are competing with- many in our area are now banning sexually provacative moves- if your team competes with American National Cheer and Dance for instance they could use points if the judges find parts of their routine innappropriate.
2. Talk with the coach- let her (or him) know what you found out about the organizations that you compete with- if they are not docking points now- the trend may catch up and everyone hates to change a routine mid year.
3. Talk with other moms- maybe they have the same concerns- having a group go to the coach may be more effective.
4. If these tips aren't effective I would think about looking for another group. I know you said there are not many around you- I drove to the next town to keep my daughter in a cheer program that was age appropriate.

Have fun- I find I have to keep my head on my shoulders dealing with some of the parents and people involved in cheer. Our group is great and our coach sets the tone wonderfully- but I decided to be team mom this year in order to keep a close eye on my little flyer girl- (by doing this I was able to say no- way to some uniforms the other mom's were pushing on the coach) since I help so much the coach takes my 2 cents seriously.

(btw- it was my love of musical theater that brought dd to cheer- as a toddler she loved Grease and when she saw it live on stage there was a cheer number after that day at age 3 she has said she wanted to be a cheerleader like Sandy, I gave in at 4 when I let her join a little park and rec program, at 7 she joined the competition team she is on now.)

Punk, hippy, mama to 4 amazing kiddos, Boy#1 (18), TheGirl (13), Boy#2 (11- PBD) and Boy#3 (6)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2005, 06:54 PM

She didn't understand the lyrics?! :LOL A bit clueless, but I'm glad things seem to be working out okay. She may want to try being a tad more astute in the future.

Too funny....
Old 08-04-2005, 07:02 PM

More likely she *couldn't* understand the lyrics. I know I can't always make out the words to a lot of songs.

Glad it all worked out!
Old 08-04-2005, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am really glad you were able to come to a solution that your family could agree on!

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    

User Tag List