Kids playing with and wasting food + Meal and snack scheduling discussion - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 432 Old 08-25-2005, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mom still uses lard for her pie crusts!
I grew up never knowing it. I kinda still wish I didnt.
#422 of 432 Old 08-25-2005, 07:14 PM

Isn't lard just animal fat?

Forgive me for asking, but I am the person who barely skims the fat off the top of a chicken carcass broth. All the flavor is in the fat!

I mean...unless one is a vegetarian. I respect that.

Is everyone who is saying "It's gross!" a veg?
#423 of 432 Old 08-25-2005, 07:18 PM

I'm not veg.
I dont know why I think lard is so gross.
I mean I eat butter.
But for some reason to me beef fat belongs in meat dishes. (and I still cut if off whenever possible).
It's like the Friends episode where Rachel was trying to make a Trifle and accidentally confused recipes and put ground beef in the lovely layered dessert.
SOme things just dont belong together.
Joline
#424 of 432 Old 08-26-2005, 03:03 AM

Bummer about the lard. I reaaly want to try these hohos now but cant cos I'm veggie.

Sigh.

What about Twinkies? I've never had one of those either.............

I really want some comfort food right now......or maybe I'm just bored..... :LOL
#425 of 432 Old 08-26-2005, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishmum

What about Twinkies? I've never had one of those either.............
All Hostess products have lard.

But the generic Twinkie-esque treats don't!

Namaste!
#426 of 432 Old 08-26-2005, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
twinkies are gross. little debbie has a hoho friend that might be lard free.

caramel hohos . . . mmmmmmmmmm

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#427 of 432 Old 08-26-2005, 12:50 PM

better lard than trans-fats - unless you are a vegetarian of course and then both options are pretty bad

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#428 of 432 Old 08-26-2005, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey's mom
I would be very uncomfortable judging my family members' wants and needs as valid or not. I trust that they are able to discern that for themselves.
Is this in general or just with food? I actually view it as part of my responsibility as a parent to help my kids interpret their wants and needs and such, not to just leave them to discern that on their own. With food as the example, sometimes my daughter will come to me and say, "I'm hungry. I want something chocolate." Because we limit junk food, sometimes I say no because she has already had something chocolate that day. Sometimes I say no because we have nothing chocolate in the house. I always offer an alternative (99% of the time, a healthier alternative). Most of the time, she says no, she doesn't want anything. We talk about cravings and what they are and why we have them and whether we should always follow them. My parents taught me to be a healthy eater, in part by not letting me eat whatever I wanted whenever I wanted but by allowing me to eat whatever I needed whenever I needed it. I am thin and have never had a weight problem or food issues. I think this is, in part, because I was actively taught the difference between a want/craving/urge/desire and a need. I was taught to choose healthy food, and I was taught to recognize the difference between hunger and other things. I was not left to discern it on my own.

Namaste!
#429 of 432 Old 08-26-2005, 04:03 PM

Now you're getting into morality issues and food --whether a craving is justified or not. Whether a craving is gluttony etc. Whether we need to lecture our chidlren on not being gluttonous etc. Sometimes we just want a piece of chocolate and I would consider that no big deal. My only issue would be whether the chocolate is organic or free trade. if there is a bar of chocolate in the house, they can eat. I don't dole things out. Whatever is in the home is free to however wants it.

All these scenarios people keep bringing up just haven't come up for us. We don't have gluttony issues or obssessive cravings pr similar problems that seem to be facing others.
#430 of 432 Old 08-26-2005, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom
Now you're getting into morality issues and food --whether a craving is justified or not. Whether a craving is gluttony etc. Whether we need to lecture our chidlren on not being gluttonous etc.
No, I'm not, not at all. All I'm talking about is *recognizing* the difference between a want (craving) and a need and talking with kids about the difference. Sometimes I have a craving and I indulge it. Sometimes I reflect on my recent eating habits and don't indulge the craving. To me, that's just common sense and a healthy attitude. I
*help* my kids do the same thing, I don't just leave them to figure it out by themselves. Not sure where you picked up some moralistic tone to my post.

I *do* want my kids to know the difference between hunger and whim, nutritional needs and cravings for junk food. In my opinion, indiscriminately indulged cravings for junk can be a big factor in weight and health problems.

Namaste!
#431 of 432 Old 08-26-2005, 06:37 PM

I wrote:
"I would be very uncomfortable judging my family members' wants and needs as valid or not. I trust that they are able to discern that for themselves."

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmamama
Is this in general or just with food? I actually view it as part of my responsibility as a parent to help my kids interpret their wants and needs and such, not to just leave them to discern that on their own.
First, I want to clarify--when I say, "discern that FOR themselves" I don't mean that they do it "ON their own." I totally agree that parents have a huge responsibility to help kids interpret anything and everything. We do a lot of talking here.

And yeah, that's in general. Without choices you can't learn to make choices. Experiential learning is a big thing to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmamama
I was taught to recognize the difference between hunger and other things.
And that's cool. I just think that recognizing that difference is nearly impossible if people aren't allowed to experience it for themselves--but, like you said, definitely not without parental input.
#432 of 432 Old 08-26-2005, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom
if there is a bar of chocolate in the house, they can eat. I don't dole things out. Whatever is in the home is free to however wants it.

All these scenarios people keep bringing up just haven't come up for us. We don't have gluttony issues or obssessive cravings pr similar problems that seem to be facing others.
Ditto. Except my kid doesn't like chocolate.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page