Is it REALLY gross, or are people just uptight? - Page 6 - Mothering Forums
First ... 4  5  6
Parenting > Is it REALLY gross, or are people just uptight?
amanda2b2's Avatar amanda2b2 10:18 PM 09-04-2005
Head lice are more attracted to clean hair than dirty. Lice have nothing to do with how dirty or clean you are.

Kids should be allowed to get dirty!!!!

captain crunchy 10:43 PM 09-04-2005
our daughter is only 3 months old, but bring on the dirt!! When she is old enough to crawl/explore etc...she will have free reign unless it is dangerous/toxic etc... weonly clean with vinegar and baking soda so I probably won't even babyproof the cabinets they are kept in -- call me "neglectful" but I am all about dirt -- it is a natural immune system builder... I had her at home, didn't "sanitize" or any crap like that beforehand, just cleaned with my regular ol' vinegar ... we don't wash our hands when we hold her unless we have just used the bathroom or something (that is just common sense)...sometimes her paci will be stuck in the crook of the chair and I will kind of wipe in on my shirt and pop it back in her mouth.... guess I am a terrible mother but for 3 months she is healthier than ever (never been vaxxed etc)....

This obsession with cleanliness in our society is creepy to me -- of course, I am not about to let her knaw on the side of the cat's litter box or go days without bathing if there is an inch of crust all over her --- and if we were going to a wedding/funeral/party/pictures etc I would make sure she was squeaky clean and cute as a button... but for every day living, I am more concerned with her happiness (and mine) than with following her around with a can of Lysol or something...

And about lice, for your info lady, my mom was kind of like you are (but not so anal!!) and we got bathed EVERY SINGLE NIGHT even if we didn't even get dirty... hair washed, the whole deal, and guess who got lice in the second grade? Yup, Miss clean, me.... and everyone is talking about lice like it will freaking kill you and is the most disgusting thing to ever happen... of course it is kind of yucky, no one wants it, but shit happens.... it was just very unpleasant combing my hair out with that crap in it (the stuff to kill them) as my hair was very long and thick ... but I never got it again so it was just luck of the draw (or un-luck as it were)...

As far as the grocery store thing... yeah I might swipe her face and hands with a baby wipe or something before going but I am not about to do a wardrobe change and a bath just to pick up some friggin soy milk....

Some people are WAY uptight....
westernmamomma's Avatar westernmamomma 01:05 AM 09-05-2005
You should see people when I let my 2yo dd splash in puddles! "What do you do she gets wet?" mmmm..... let me see.....dry her off? That's why we're made washable!
Crunchier's Avatar Crunchier 01:00 AM 09-06-2005
I'm ok with safe dirt, no throwing, no eating. I do let him go shopping with cheesy, crackery clothes, but not actually dirty.
FreeRangeMama's Avatar FreeRangeMama 02:11 AM 09-06-2005
Quote:
I don't think i would want to offer up how often my young children (don't) bathe.
Glad I'm not the only one :LOL I won't even go into the long list of yucky stuff my 2 year old has eaten. He's curious about things, he feels it, smells it, tastes it, and just explores it in general. He also has never really been sick and is very bright. Both boys roll around the sandbox (usually after spitting hose water at each other) or shimmy around the garden on their bellies chasing bugs and worms. They love puddles and throw grass and leaves at each other for fun. My 2 year old doesn't even wear pants anymore, they just get wet and slow him down. He spent his morning crawling through the IL's garden eating whatever fruits and veggies he could find (not sprayed).

As for stores, I would be more worried about the chemicals in the soaps and baby wipes than I would be about a little dirt. My kids are frequently dirty in stores. I try to wash their hands and faces so they don't get merchandise dirty, but usually we just grab them and go (and quite often any trip in the van requires a detour to the sandbox or flower bed). Dh can't resist a mudpuddle splash-fest in any parking lot we happen to be in (just watered plants at the garden centers provide many), I just ask him to try to refrain splashing with the boys until AFTER we shop because I don't always enjoy carrying a wet and muddy child around the store.

FWIW my ds1 has a lot of sensory issues. It has taken all of his 4 years to overcome freaking out about dirt and grass on him, but we have worked a lot on it just slowly encouraging him to try new things. He used to scream and freak out at the smallest amount of dirt, but now he rolls around in the sandbox. He enjoys so many more things now (like looking for bugs) that he never would have done before. It took a lot of time and patience, but I really believe playing in the muck has so much value to children.

And no, I don't bathe them every day, or even every other day. We go far too long between baths sometimes. Ah well, they are dirty. Not the end of the world. The friction of tomorrows play will rub off the dirt from today right :LOL And horror of horrors, we don't use soap OR shampoo. I do hate sleeping in a pile of sand though.......
Shann's Avatar Shann 12:57 AM 09-15-2005
When my boys were younger, I never saw the extreme importance of bathing them every day. So they often went 2, 3,4 days without a bath, and we didn't worry how dirty they OR their clothes got. They got baths eventually and were none the worse for wear. Now that they are older, they are allowed to choose their own schedule for bathing, and they also don't necessarily see a need for the daily routine. But that's up to them now, and I still don't worry about it .
Wabi Sabi's Avatar Wabi Sabi 07:14 PM 09-15-2005
I thought of this thread while my 11 mo. old baby was getting delightfully dirty at the park today.

He got filthy rolling in the sand, crawling in the grass, and chewing on sticks. I turned my attention away for just a second and in the meantime he dumped out my yogurt into the sand. He had a blast playing in the sand/yogurt mess. A while later, my friend's dd set her container of bubbles down on the ground and you guessed it- ds found them, dumped them out, then had a grand time splashing and rolling the liquid. And oh yeah, he also has a runny nose. Let me tell you, snot is a dirt magnet!

By the time we left, ds was literally caked in dirt, sand, grass stains, yogurt, snot, and bubble solution. His hair was crusted with dried goo. You would have never guessed that he'd bathed with me this morning.

We came straight home, but if I had needed to run a quick errand I wouldn't have hesitated. Maybe I would have gotten some dirty looks in the grocery store, but frankly, I don't give a damn because my filthy little boy couldn't have been happier!
tyedyedeyes's Avatar tyedyedeyes 07:47 PM 09-15-2005
DS LOVES getting filthy. I have no problems with it. If we're outside playing, chances are at least one of us is dirty. I'll get right down in the dirt with him. Monday afternoon we spent over at my moms house (They're out of the country in GREECE!!! <jealous> ) and DS loves to play in their huge backyard and garden, (and I love doing laundry and hanging it out on the line :LOL )
and gets really dirty. It was rather warm outside, so he's out there naked, covered in sand from the sandbox, dirt/mud from the garden, blackberry juices (he just eats 'em off the vine of course) and snot.

<sigh> I love my dirty little boy....
mommy73's Avatar mommy73 04:37 PM 09-17-2005
I have allways belived that there nothing wrong with a child being dirty, as long as it's not day old dirt

Two years ago we took our children to Mighty Mud Mania, in St Louis see
http://www.co.st-louis.mo.us/parks/mud-mania.html The Children LOVED IT!
It is the ultimate place for parents to take your children to have some good clean dirty fun.

I am allso a strong beliver that going barefoot should be a part of childhood, i wish that children could go to school barefoot, there is no good reason why this should not be allowed, up to the last half of the 20th century it was very common for children to go to school barefoot.

Please see my fav web site Parents for Barefoot Children at, www.unshod.org/pfbc

God Bless you all............Beth.

Beth Chandler... [email protected]
RedWine's Avatar RedWine 04:45 PM 09-17-2005
Mommy73,

That mud party looks like fun!!

And, slightly OT, my dd1 goes barefoot as much as possible. I get SO many sideways looks at the playground. :LOL

By the way,

trinity6232000's Avatar trinity6232000 05:19 PM 09-17-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy73
Two years ago we took our children to Mighty Mud Mania, in St Louis see
http://www.co.st-louis.mo.us/parks/mud-mania.html The Children LOVED IT!
It is the ultimate place for parents to take your children to have some good clean dirty fun.

I am allso a strong beliver that going barefoot should be a part of childhood, i wish that children could go to school barefoot, there is no good reason why this should not be allowed, up to the last half of the 20th century it was very common for children to go to school barefoot.
How much fun does that look!?!?! I love it! We're big bare footers
here. Actually I go barefoot so often that my feet are permanently off color.
I shower and scrub them everyday. I guess the dirt has become a part of
me. My dd is not at all like me. She demands socks on her feet at all times.
So if she wants to take her shoes off I get muddy little socks, but she's
happy, I'm happy, and the oxy clean company is happy.
its_our_family's Avatar its_our_family 06:00 PM 09-17-2005
My kids get dirty. But when we go out I take a washcloth to their faces, hands and knees. But if I forget about it, oh well.

I have a friend that everytime we see takes T to the bathroom to wash his hands and face. It pisses me off.

Just wanted to add that being judgemental about dirty kids is just as bad about being judgemental about those that don't get dirty.

Oh, and I am an adult that gets dirty at the drop of a hat. I can just sit in a room alone with nothing around and be filthy in 10 minutes....
BrooklynDoula's Avatar BrooklynDoula 06:08 PM 09-17-2005
My ds is always dirty. i swear hi is only clean while he is actually in the bath. Who cares? There are lots of things one could be concerned about - like maybe I don't like having to put my kid in the cart after your clean kid because you use a toxic laundry soap or you put lotions on your child that I find offensive or any number of equally crazy assertions. It's not like you have a right to a shopping cart for your kid, it is a convinence you don't have to use.

If someone saw me at the store and thought my kid was dirty and said something to me I would not only be terribly offended, I would think they were clearly a very small minded, petty person.

Dirty is good. You should have seen our friend painting with mud on the kids bellies yesterday!
Kathryn's Avatar Kathryn 06:40 PM 09-17-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWine
Umm..I've been that mama. My youngest (5 months) went through a one week phase of spitting up a LOT. I got tired of changing her shirt every ten minutes. Also, it was HOT here. So I just stopped putting clothes on her for a while. I thought she was very cute! Never would have crossed my mind that I might be annoying someone! I think all naked babies are adorable.
The only reason it bothers me to see a baby in just a diaper (which I've done many times with my dd) is cause the ones I've seen are practicly purple cause they're so cold in the freezer section. I usually offer up a baby blanket or something to them.
annettemarie's Avatar annettemarie 09:13 PM 09-17-2005
In my purely unprofessional opinion, anyone who is so utterly obsessed with "dirt" and cleanliness should seriously consider exploring those feelings with a trained counselor. Jeesh.
hipumpkins's Avatar hipumpkins 11:17 PM 09-17-2005
DD gets dirty as often as she likes. She doesn't aways want to but when she does she gets good and filthy.
Mommy73 I just checked out your barefoot website and loved it. My DD loves to be barefoot (as does her father) .
We were at a birthday party last week and DD was playing outside without shoes. Another mom was scolding her daughter about not having shoes on and she turned to my DD and said, "You should probably have shoes on too" My DD said, "I have tough feet" and continued on her way.
Boobiemama's Avatar Boobiemama 11:24 PM 09-17-2005
LOL If its gross, then my kids are gross too. And besides the dirt and mud, mine also run through chicken crap barefoot. Although they are required to take a bath after being in the chicken coop....
Shann's Avatar Shann 02:04 AM 09-27-2005
I am very happy to see that this thread shows that the VAST majority of parents in here don't mind having dirty kids...and in most cases, just like my kids, VERY D-I-R-T-Y kids! I have always enjoyed letting my kids get dirty and stay dirty for a long while, and this thread has redeemed my faith in that! Thanks, all you mommas of dirty kids! Keep up the dirty work!
westernmamomma's Avatar westernmamomma 10:36 AM 09-27-2005
It rained here yesterday, and you should have seen the looks I got for the puddle jumping I encouraged. It's only water, and actually washed off some of the dirt that had accumulated on dd's feet. I'm all for that!
MtBikeLover's Avatar MtBikeLover 04:15 PM 09-27-2005
We are all for rolling in the dirt as well. And if someone ever tapped me on the shoulder in the grocery store and asked me if I knew what soap was, I'd tell my kids to close their ears while I told that parent to "Go to Hell". One thing I have learned is to never judge a parent because I have no idea what their day has been like. Unless, of course, I see a child being neglected or abused. Then I judge away because there is absolutely no excuse for that. And another note on this topic, sometimes there are medical reasons for not being able to bathe. My son had surgery and had stitches and was told no bath for 5 days. Sure we tried to wash him with a washcloth, but I know that didn't get him anywhere clean enough. I sure am glad that none of his friends decided he was too dirty to play with. and I sure hope that no one thought I was being neglectful for my son looking a little dirty.

At the park behind our house, there is a puddle that fills up under the slide. My son (2.5 yo) loves to slide down and land right in the puddle. Sure he gets filthy but boy does he love it. I actually had a parent tell him not to play in there because he would get dirty and I said "No, its ok if he plays there" and I turned around and told him it was ok to get dirty.

DD is 8 months and we went to the Beach the other day and she loved crawling around in the sand. She also loved it when her brother poured sand all over her body (until he did it to her hair!). They had so much fun and I didn't worry for a second about how dirty she got.
ToniaStarr's Avatar ToniaStarr 05:06 PM 09-27-2005
I have two very active boys who seem to be always filthy. They are outdoor lovers and I couldn't keep em clean if I tried. And I do. They are washed everytime they eat and after and before snacks and meals. And before bed. It can be tough though...please do not assume a parent is lazy or bad if you see a child dirty. Just recently our family was living in tents and I tried my best but we were too broke to get them hair cuts. I kept them as clean as I could but living outdoors meant they had access to dirt and I certainly could not keep them in the tents all day long. I washed them OFTEN with baby wipes and sponge baths but had to rush out a couple times to the store for something (had to grab a ride when I could) and was very self conciese by the LOOKS.
I am fairly open minded about them playing outdoors. I am a barefoot walkin in the grass type myself so I have few qualms about that unless we are somewhere I am not comfy with like a public park or such. In their own backyard is another story.
Tonia :
Sharlla's Avatar Sharlla 08:14 PM 09-27-2005
Call me crazy but my ds has never gotten dirty playing outside.
annettemarie's Avatar annettemarie 08:15 PM 09-27-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla
Is your yard a concrete lot?
Earth Angel's Avatar Earth Angel 08:52 PM 09-27-2005
My boys get dirty...and they LOVE it!! Just the other day Dh had them undressing on the proch cause the 3 (2 boys and Dh) of them had gotten really into playing in the mud puddles.

I actually think it is really important for all children to play with the earth. Climbing trees, making mud pies, playing with water outside, all of these things connect them to the earth from which they came.

I can't imagine not allowing my children to get dirty. That would cause them so many hang ups in the end. I do understand if children don't want to get down and dirty outside, but I'd still encourage that type of play creatively if I could.

I remember really enjoying myself when I was a kid, outside playing with rocks, dirt etc with my friends. I still like to get outside and play in the dirt....but now that I'm older it has to be in the form of "gardening" so that I'm not considered a freak :LOL

Quote:
I'm assuming that your joking, and if not, WOW....just WOW.
ShadowMom's Avatar ShadowMom 09:33 PM 09-27-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Angel
I actually think it is really important for all children to play with the earth. Climbing trees, making mud pies, playing with water outside, all of these things connect them to the earth from which they came...

I remember really enjoying myself when I was a kid, outside playing with rocks, dirt etc with my friends.

ITA!
annettemarie's Avatar annettemarie 09:41 PM 09-27-2005
Do you know that the more unique sensory experiences a child has, the more the sensory and motor neurons interact, forming inter-neurons, which connect one type of neuron to another. Sensory play (including playing in the mud, dirt, snow, water, etc!!!) are important for development.
tayndrewsmama's Avatar tayndrewsmama 09:43 PM 09-27-2005
Oh I have no problems with my kids being dirty or playing in the dirt and such. What I cannot understand is why the same people who freak out about dirt are the same ones who don't think twice about their kids sitting in a restaraunt high chair, or licking a shopping cart handle, or playing with all the toys in the waiting room at a Children's Hospital. What they should be worried about is what they can't see, not some dirt and grime.

But, I know I have issues with that myself. Dh thinks that hand sanitizer commercial with the lady and her kids waiting for someone to open the door so they don't have to touch it is hilarious and eerily similar to me. I pull my hand in my sleeve to open the door. :
octobermom's Avatar octobermom 10:47 PM 09-27-2005
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla

Is your yard a concrete lot?
:LOL Gosh I hope so if not please throw some dirt on your child
Wait do you mean your not yet 4 month old? Well umm okay I'm assumming hes not mobile yet :nana:

Deanna
First ... 4  5  6

Up