5 point harness carseat for tall kid - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-01-2005, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm having a hard time trying to figure out the hight limits for various brands of 5 point harness car seats. Can you help?

My tall and thin 3 year old is 39" and 28lbs. He'll outgrow his current car seat at 40" so I'm shopping for a new one. I'd like one that could be used as a 5 point harness for as long as possible. Since he is so thin I have no worries that he will outgrow any seat based on weight - He'll outgrow the height WAY before then.

So far I've found that the BRITAX Marathon will go to 49" height. The BRITAX Husky will go higher (65" I think) but I need one that is airline approved. I'd really like to know the height limits for the Recaro young sport but can't find that info anywhere. Do you know??

Also, are there any other car seats that you know of that can be used as a 5 point harness for over 40" tall kids?

Is there an easy way to find out the height limits for car seats?

Thank you for any info you can give me.

Alie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 10-01-2005, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
I have my 39# 46" DS in the Recaro Young Sport and has about an inch of torso growing room before he is level with the top harness slot, he will be 40# before then. However, it technically only goes to 40", but as you can see it fits a much, much taller kid. The 40" limit is because manufacturers are obligated to put a height limit on a seat, but it really depends on the child's body proportions. A harnessed seat is outgrown when the child's shoulders at above the top harness slots or the tops of their ears are level with the seat's shell. See here for photos of my DS in the Young Sport. I love it!

As for other options for tall kids besides Britax -- the Husky goes to 53" btw, but will fit taller kids, again for the same reason. There are a few new seats coming up very soon which might be of interested to you, all are airline approved.

First there is the SafeGuard. The SafeGuard will be FAA approved it is supposed to fit children up to 65 lbs and 57 inches, but with top harness slots of 18" they are being optimistic about the height I think. It is a super high tech seat with lots of innovations and is made by IMMI which is the company that makes all the harnesses and tethers for other car seat manufacturers. It is going to be very $$$ at $429 though, it begins production and shipping next week.

Then there is the Profile, it is also rated to 65 lbs and the top harness slots are 17.5" so it should accommodate a tall child quite will. It looks like it will be a great travel seat, as it folds and is narrow (14" at the seat). I think it will retail for $200 and is due out in November.

Finally, the Cosco Apex 65 is about to make is debut after much waiting. I hear it is due out this week. I have read a post from one person who has seen it and they say it is wide, but I think it is FAA approved. The Apex is a harnessed seat to 65 lbs and then converts to a bpb to 100 lbs. The poster said it will retail for $165 but I don't know how accurate her info is.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
#3 of 9 Old 10-01-2005, 09:03 PM

I forgot to add the Apex is supposed to have 18" harness slots. But it has taken Cosco forever to get it to pass the tests, so they may have had to lower them.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
#4 of 9 Old 10-01-2005, 10:14 PM

Another vote for Britax- go to a Toys r us or a Babies r us and try the bigger convertible britaxes. All the convertible britax seats are airline approved.

good luck!

-Angela
#5 of 9 Old 10-01-2005, 10:36 PM

We have the Britax Boulevards for our twins and absolutely LOVE them. By guys are about 30 lbs. each and about 36" at 2-and-a-half. They are still rear-facing, and are nowhere close to outgrowing the boulevards. The Boulevard is the same size as the Marathon (and has the same limits), but has a couple of added features. . . side-impact protection "wings," which make excellent head rests, and infinitely adjustable shoulder-strap height. This means that not only do you not have to rethread the straps ever, but you are also able to make your car seat totally custom fit your kid on any day. The knob is very easy to turn.

More important than actual length is how your child fits into the seat. You can continue to use the boulevard until the tops of your child's ears are level with the top of the carseat. It is hard to imagine a five-year-old who wouldn't still fit in the boulevard, especially since kids add a lot of height in their legs (as opposed to their torsos) after the toddler years.

Good luck choosing a seat!

HTH!

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#6 of 9 Old 10-02-2005, 12:17 PM

just don't get one made by Cosco! Their harness slots are incredibly low, not made at all for tall, thin children. I'm going to have to get yet another carseat when DD is too tall for hers, because I am not comfortable switching her to a booster just yet.
#7 of 9 Old 10-02-2005, 01:56 PM

We LOVE our Britax Boulevard! We'll be getting ds3 1 as well when he outgrows his carrier seat.
#8 of 9 Old 10-04-2005, 08:08 PM

Quote:
We have the Britax Boulevards for our twins and absolutely LOVE them. By guys are about 30 lbs. each and about 36" at 2-and-a-half. They are still rear-facing, and are nowhere close to outgrowing the boulevards. The Boulevard is the same size as the Marathon (and has the same limits), but has a couple of added features. . . side-impact protection "wings," which make excellent head rests, and infinitely adjustable shoulder-strap height. This means that not only do you not have to rethread the straps ever, but you are also able to make your car seat totally custom fit your kid on any day. The knob is very easy to turn.
We have a Britax Marathon, and we we just took DD1 out of it at 3 1/2 because her shoulders were getting to be above the top harness slots. She is about 45 lbs and maybe 43 inches (not really sure). Granted, she is long in the torso and short-legged (her shirt size is like 3 sizes higher than her pants size :LOL ). But, I do think Britax may be overly optomistic in their 65lb weight limit. So, if the height limits are the same for the Boulevard, my dd1 would not fit in it.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#9 of 9 Old 10-04-2005, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliabedelia
We have a Britax Marathon, and we we just took DD1 out of it at 3 1/2 because her shoulders were getting to be above the top harness slots. She is about 45 lbs and maybe 43 inches (not really sure). Granted, she is long in the torso and short-legged (her shirt size is like 3 sizes higher than her pants size :LOL ). But, I do think Britax may be overly optomistic in their 65lb weight limit. So, if the height limits are the same for the Boulevard, my dd1 would not fit in it.
Unfortunately the BV top harness adjustment is the same as the Marathon. It is interesting how different kids fit these seats differently, my 5.5 year old (46" tall and 39/40 lbs) has about 1.5" or torso room in the BV, which would probably take him to Britax's max height of 49", but there is no way he would be 65 lbs by then.

t

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page