How cold is too cold - inside? (Spin-off) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-01-2005, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How about inside the house. Prior to having kids, DH and I watched our thermostat settings pretty close, but since having kids, we tend to keep the thermostat set higher, especially at night. For example, currently we set 69 when we are awake and 66 when we are asleep, but it used to be more like 66 / 60. How about you? My eldest is finally to a point where he will keep a blanket on, and often gets really sweaty, but my youngest (20 months) doesn't yet have the coordination (for lack of a better word) to keep a blanket on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2005, 05:47 PM

we keep ours at 68. I still get cold at that temp, but we're too cheap to put it any higher. Dd is so different than me though, it's 68 and I'm shivering under a feather comforter and she's over there trying to take her clothes off and sweating in her sleep too.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:01 PM

This year I've decided to live a little and let the house be comfortable. Last year I kept the house at 54-55F at night and maybe 58-60 during the day. It was freezing but I was worried about cost and made everyone wear their moccasins and sweaters. To watch a movie or the TV you would need to wrap up in blankets. But then on crazy cold nights (-45 windchill nights) I would risk freezing the pipes (which did happen a couple of times). So for peace of mind and comfort, despite the cost, this year I'm keeping the house at 64 at night and 67 during the day.

It feels like heaven, lol!
Old 12-01-2005, 06:30 PM

We've been keeping ours at 68 during the day, and put it down to 60 at night, and 58 when we aren't home. Now that DS (21 mos) is moving from our bed into his own room, I have been putting a space heater in his room at night...I do sort of wonder if the extra consumption from the heater makes the lower temp at night a wash financially, but DH and I are comfy enough at 60 anyway.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:46 PM
Banned

We do 66 during the day in the coldest part of the year. (it is 33 outside right now and that is what our therm is at today) and 55 at night. We all use three blankets, top one being wool this time of year. We are used to it and so is dd. I have a friend who's house feels like and oven to me in summer as it gets to 75+ and yet she is comfy. Below 70 is cold for her and her little one is shivering. So, I don't think anything is too cold so long as you are comfortable and healthy.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:55 PM

At night we're at 58, during the day 68. I'm still cold at 68, but everyone else in the fam. seems fine. At night our youngest wears feetie pajamas and despite the fact that he won't go under the covers with me he's always warm. The older kids have two blankets.

Mama to three wonderful boys and a fabulous baby girl.
My heartfelt thanks to all those that have donated milk to others; you are amazing
Old 12-01-2005, 10:40 PM

ah yes! winter temps. we are total cheapskates when it comes to heat. we go for about 64 in the day, but often it's just me at home, so i just turn off the heat and bundle up -- i can't justify heating a whole house for me to work in one room. at night, we turn off the heat unless it's really freezing outside. that means it gets down to about 55. our best discovery was putting ds in two layers of pjs. he wears a one piece cotton layer with a blanket sleeper over that. the blanket sleeper serves as his blanket, so he does ok. i think he's also generally a cooker, so he doesn't really get chilly. i love going to school, where they pump up the heat. it's total luxury!

megin

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
Old 12-01-2005, 11:12 PM

I'm in the minority I guess...we keep our house around 73 and I love it that way. But we keep our gas at 68 and heat with space heaters, we did the same thing last winter and our electric never got over $140...electirc is cheap in my town because we have a hydro electric plant right here in town.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
Old 12-01-2005, 11:24 PM

We generally keep ours at 66 at night and 67-69 during the day. I'm home with ds and sometimes I will jack it up to 70 for a while. I think 70 is ideal, but agree gas prices suck right now too. We have a wall of floor to ceiling windows on the south side of our house that when it's sunny outside, have a solar effect and on sunny days even in super cold weather I can turn off the heat during the day!

Mommy to Emily (16), Cal (12) and Claire Bear (3)
Old 12-02-2005, 12:17 AM

We do 68 during the wake-times and 57 at night.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:26 AM

It's set at 62 during the day and 57 at night. Night time doesn't bother me at all, and day only when I first get up. Once I'm dressed it's fine. It did seem really cold when we first started doing it and I noticed one of my friends is now bringing slippers and a sweater when she visits.

I'm not sure what I'll do when the new babe gets here though -- the day will be fine (sling) but I don't know about night.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:54 AM

I guess I'm opposite. We have it warmer at night. It is about 64-65 during the day when we're active, and up to 68-70 at night. Our kids don't co-sleep with us now, and DD's room is on the corner of the house and pretty cold. I don't want to worry about them being cold. Chalk up lower heating bills to continued co-sleeping, I suppose!

Stacy-- Wife to my DH, mom to three: noodle girl:, Lego boy , little guy :
Old 12-02-2005, 01:48 AM

We keep ours at 72 at night b/c we are wimps. lol! Also because dd2 will not use blankets and does not like to be dressed up in too many layers to stay warm. She was very, very sick all last winter and I'm trying to not stress her immune system with it being too cold. Next year when she's older and hopefully using blankets we'll lower it. During the day I keep it off.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 12-02-2005, 01:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We haven't turned our heater on yet. My DD is a furnace, and we just put her in long sleeved/legged pajamas and socks to sleep (or, like to night, knit pants and a t-shirt). DH and I just huddle under blankets.

But this house retains heat like it's going out of style (not unlike the whole Phoenix metro area). Our electric bills in summer for A/C are killer, but for winter there's really nothing to complain about.

I'm a wimp about cold, but grew up with my mother, who was all about letting it be cold at night (when I visit her house I'm forever turning up the thermostat, lol).

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Old 12-02-2005, 01:59 AM

Interesting thread!

DH and I live in an old house, which is hard to keep warm--thank goodness it is small, or we would NEVER get any heat built up! This year we decided to try to use our woodstove instead of the electric heat with an eye towards saving a bit on the utilities, but have found as the weather gets colder that the woodstove just doesn't cut it. We use blankets when we're on the couch, and the concrete slab beneath the carpet is so cold that it feels like you are sitting on a refrigerator! (We don't wear shoes in the house.) It hasn't been too uncomfortable for us (we just wear an extra layer), but obviously once the baby arrives in the spring we are going to have to keep the house a tad bit warmer!
Old 12-02-2005, 02:04 AM

We use a outside wood furnace that blows hot air into the house for heat. (This is our 1st year using it, prior to this we used oil & cast iron steam radiotors). It's 68-74 inside/downstairs most of the time. Overnight it tends to cool down since we're not feeding the fire all night. Because it blows in downstairs, we rely on "heat rises" to heat the upstairs, so it's much cooler in our bedrooms. My guess would be 62ish. We use warm jammies & extra quilts on dd's bed & our big feather comforter in our room (ds co-sleeps).
Old 12-02-2005, 02:05 AM

Ours is set for 66 during the day, 60 at night. The worst part is that the thermostat switches to night at 10pm, and when I'm not in bed by then (like now!) I get cold and then don't feel warm again 'til morning.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:19 AM

Our is about at 71 day and night. We have to keep it fairly cool during the day because dh sleeps during the day.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 12-02-2005, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
We set our heat to 53 at night (to keep pipes from freezing) and it is between 58 and 60 during the day.

60 is heaven to me, because it is warmer than we have ever kept it. One cold, fussy day in the spring I just couldn't stand the cold any longer and I turned the heat up to 60. The house is small and literally within 10 minutes everyone was more pleasant and the kids weren't so irritable. This winter I will turn it to 60 if it means we have a more pleasant life!

We sleep in homemade fleece blankets (Ds sleeps alone) and I wear slippers during the day. Dd is usually naked during the day except for a T-shirt, and she sleeps completely nude. The rest of us wear jeans, shirt and usually a fleece top. We are warm enough, but get used to it. So that when we visit someone like crunchy_mama's house we are sooooooo hot! And forget the library. We always strip right down once we get there!

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

Old 12-02-2005, 10:33 AM

65 during the day (60 at night), but I think that's more for MY comfort.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:02 PM

68 during the day and 58 during the night. I would prefer it at 70 or 71 at day and 65 at night, I am a whimp when it comes to being cold. This house costs a fortune to heat though, so I just bundle up. Luckily the kids don't seem to be as wussy as me

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
Old 12-02-2005, 02:58 PM

We've got a fancy thermostat, so ours goes up and down all the time. The heat's set at 68 during the day, and 60 at night. The last couple of winters we kept a Vornado heater in DS's room at night because he was too little to cover up. Now he does fine - he thrashes around until he falls asleep, so I have a primary (snuggling) blanket and another light blanket to put over him when he goes down. After he's asleep, I put a thicker flannel blanket and a second, fleece blanket over that. He also wears fleece PJs.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:28 PM

we're about 68-70 during the day and 55 for sleeping.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:40 PM

We have it set at 68 during the day and 55 at night, like cgmom.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "mouse hand." Aaaaaa! That's cold!

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
Old 12-02-2005, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I keep my house too cold for a tshit but just right with some sweaters. I don't keep all of the house heated and we all sleep in my bedroom with the door shut. The living room heat is on during the day but it gets turned off at night.

During the colder nights I will put a heater near the kitchen sink to keep the pipes from bursting, but that is all.

My MIL keeps her house 90 degrees and I really hate going over there. Way too hot for sweaters. And she hates coming to my house because it's too cold for her Good way to keep her out.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Old 12-02-2005, 04:21 PM

62-65 during the day, around55 at night. Although the thermostat is set higher, I think it is way off!! Does anyone know how to test it?? It can be set at 70 and it will be 62 and never run, or run for a minute and turn off.
We dotn mind it at all, although my hands feel like they are going to fall off sometimes!! I love doing the dishes and bathtime!!
Old 12-02-2005, 05:45 PM

We also splurged for a $30 programmable thermostat which keeps our temps changing. So far we have it set at:

58-60 from 830 pm to 430 am
63 from 430 am to 730 am
60 from 730 am to 4 pm
62 from 4 until 830 pm
And that's Monday through Friday since dh and I both work outside the house.

On the weekends:
58-60 over night
63-65 during the day

When dh and I got together he was used to how his ex kept the house at 80 so moving in with me was a shock. I liked the window in the bedroom open in the winter... We compromised and kept the window shut but the temp about 68. When his kids came over they ALWAYS complained about how cold our house was. I bought them blanket sleepers, extra thick comforters and they still would complain

Ds arrived and didn't bat an eye at the cold, never has really. Must get that warm blood from me Plus we cosleep so keeping warm at isn't hard. He wears wool pants with a long sleeved tshirt and slippers. We have a down comforter so we're toasty.

Getting back to dh's kids... They have learned how expensive gas prices are especially this year in 2 ways: 1) their mom moved in with her fiance and she doesn't have control of the temp 2) we told them when they're over, we can't afford to keep the house any warmer than what we have it at.

We have a new/used woodburning fireplace insert to help keep the main floor warm which we're still not sure if it will help keep gas costs down... We haven't seen a bill yet. And secondly, I bought some new/used thick wool blankets for the kids in addition to their annual blanket sleepers. I think they're getting used to being cooler

Rhianna momma to ds #1 - 9 & ds #2 - born 10/22/2012

Old 12-02-2005, 07:02 PM

We like the house in the 50's at night but now that we heat with wood we are having a hard time keeping it that cool. We sllep so much better when its nice and cool.

During the day the house is in the 70 and 80's
Old 12-04-2005, 05:10 PM

Wow, you all are tough! We keep the house at 68-70, day and night. I would swear that it isn't actually that warm, though. It's an old, drafty house and DD doesn't cosleep (and throws off her blankets) or I would turn it down at night. Dh always worried that DD is too cold as it is. We sleep under a blanket, a quilt, and a down comforter ourselves! Yes, at (supposedly) 70...

OTOH, we keep it at 80 in the summer. (We live in a hot part of the country.) I'm totally used to it but we have to turn up the a/c when friends come over or they complain.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

Old 12-04-2005, 06:21 PM

We desperately want to turn the heat down in our apartment at night, but because BeanBean has only one warm PJ outfit (and he only got that last week!) we keep it relatively warm. We're trying to avoid putting oil in the tank before tax season rolls around. Anyway, right now we're keeping it about 60 at night and 65 during the day. I'm *freezing*, but everyone else is comfortable so I wrap blankets around myself and try to stuff my belly into fleecies.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)

User Tag List