Is it just me or is this REALLY rude? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-23-2003, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I might send her some facts on polio and strengthening the immune system. Oh and possibly the homeopathic remedy for polio.

Below is an excerpt from "The Vaccine Guide" :

"Most cases (90 to 98 percent) of illness associated with poliovirus remain either inapparent or characterized by sore throat, nausea, and abdominal pain.

It is usually diagnosed as a cold or flu.

Only one percent of infections results in paralytic disease.

Only a small percentage of these cases have residual paralysis."

Randall Neustaedter, OMD also says the following about polio:

"No epidemics have occurred in the United States since 1954."

"The risk of acquiring wild polio in the United States is zero."

Randall Neustaedter also quotes the following references:

"During the period 1980-1985, 55 cases of paralytic polio were reported. Of these cases, 51 were caused by the vaccine and 4 occurred in people returning from developing countries (Centers for Disease Control, 1986)."

"An average of 8 cases of vaccine-associated paralytic poliomyelitis (VAPP) occur each year in the United States(Institute of Medicine, 1988)."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2003, 04:09 PM

from what I can tell, 3 1/2 months into AP, research based parenting, it involves a constant attack from other people -- either direct or passive. From the HMO doctor making me feel like I"m screwing it up for everyone and jeopardizing my child's health by not vaccing, to my mother's telling me the story of why she weaned me for the umpteenth time (her passive agressive way of letting me know she thinks it's wrong that I plan on breastfeeding as long as possible. She weaned me at 7 months after her doctor told her that it might be embarassing for her to b/f me after dropping me off for preschool.

when you question something that most of society just goes along with, you either tick people off OR you educate them. I never knew vaccines were a hot issue until it was mentioned repeatedly at a prenatal yoga class I took. The AP stuff just made sense to me before I even knew it had a name.

The idea of sending this intrusive woman articles informing her of why vaccines are bad is a good one -- maybe you'll save her next child the chemical assault. Otherwise, just chalk it up to another person who is uninformed or is simply more comfortable doing what every one else is doing, and wants you to do the same.

from a mommy at last
Old 01-23-2003, 11:58 PM

I posted a long reply on this last night and lost it because of that dang database error page. Hmmph. Anyway, suffice to say, I don't think it's bad or wrong for you to discuss your POV with your sister, or for her to discuss it with others. It's only human. When someone is going along with the status quo and another person does something different it causes cognitive dissonance and gets their back up. Their first reaction is to discuss it with someone they know will validate them, but hopefully they will keep questioning and thinking. When I first encountered non-vaxing folks, I thought it was wrong, bad for society, selfish, dangerous, etc. etc. and I talked it over with folks I knew would back me up. Eventually, I started asking more questions of my non-vaxing friends who referred me to stuff to read and now I can see both sides of it. And, btw, decided not to vaccinate my kids.

SMC to Sophia, age 15, and Eleanor, age 9, and mother hen to too many nursing students to count!

Old 01-24-2003, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gretasmommy
I would be angry as well! As mom, I always have my DD's best interests in mind when making any parenting decision. We do vax, but that is our choice.
I think I would probably not reply to this woman, as I doubt you could possibly change her mind. It sounds as though she is capable of finding pro and con- vaxing info on her own . . .
I wouldn't waste my energies.

Andrea
mommy to Greta 3/14/02

I agree completely. I wouldn't waste my time trying to change her mind. She obviously feels so strong about her views to invade your privacy this way. There's always going to be someone that does not agree with the parenting choices you make.

Terri, sewing mama to 4 beautiful girls and the boy, Finn. We novaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifh20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gifsewmachine.gif since 1996!
Old 01-26-2003, 04:06 AM

amazes me that some ppl have nothng better to do than talk about others.Arent these women supposed to be watching children??I would be more angry with my sister than the stranger.I guess in a way it is good to get awareness out there about the dangers of vaccinations,but why cant ppl mind there own business??Maybe they are just jealous because they are not strong enough to challenge mainstream thinking and do whats best for their child??

Linda
Old 01-26-2003, 04:42 AM

What about all the kids they are influencing?

Little ears hear a LOT LOT LOT more than anyone gives them credit for!

Ack!

Katie

User Tag List