What aspect of your parenting has... - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What do you get the MOST criticism about?
breastfeeding at all 5 1.67%
extended breastfeeding 35 11.67%
co-sleeping 66 22.00%
not doing cry-it-out sleep training 27 9.00%
cloth diapers 5 1.67%
babywearing/holding baby a lot 18 6.00%
vaccination choices 46 15.33%
circumcision choices 10 3.33%
delaying solids 4 1.33%
other food and diet-related issues 27 9.00%
gentle discipline styles 32 10.67%
other (please explain-- I couldn't think of anymore right now!) 25 8.33%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 105 Old 01-17-2006, 03:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our biggest thing is circumcision. We heard the most critisism from friends on this issue and from my husbands side of the family.

The next would be vaccinations, also from friends. We have done three different things when it came to vaccinations: none at all, selective, and on schedule -- and no matter what we choose someone has to put in their 2 Cents.

Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 105 Old 01-17-2006, 09:32 PM

For us, it's cosleeping, hands down. I cannot even estimate the the number of times I've heard, "But you'll never get him out of your bed!" My parents slept with all five of us, and I assure you all, we did eventually get out of their bed.

If I told people about half the stuff we do I'm sure I'd hear all about it. The pediatrician doesn't know about the cosleeping or the selective vaxing (this is much easier with a toddler than with a baby!). When I tell people I never hit (and would never hit) my son I sometimes get negative comments, but cosleeping wins for sheer quantity of stupid people telling me my business.
#93 of 105 Old 01-18-2006, 02:47 AM

breastfeeding at all--nevermind that I nursed one for two years (weaned when I was 5mos pregnant) and the other for three, the issue was that I was doing it, not the pregnancy or the age of the child.

I think it was such a big issue b/c it was the first and most obvious. After I did that, vax and gd and "extended" nursing (and now homeschooling,) were anti-climactic.

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
#94 of 105 Old 01-18-2006, 03:58 PM

I voted vax choices, because that's probably the topic I talk about most since I no longer BF or have an infant for that matter.

But when I was pg I got a lot of flack for homebirthing. Still haven't gotten much about homeschooling but we're still new to it. I got nasty comments about EBF, but only from a person I was telling about it after the fact. While dd was an infant I certainly got crap about CIO, but not vaccinating is something we will always have questions to answer on since it is something that will stick with us for life.

~Sara, WAHSingMomi to girls R and AV, S.O.A.R. Scout Leader and Homeschooling In Detroit Blogger

#95 of 105 Old 02-01-2006, 05:24 PM

I picked vax - people act like I'm denying my children food!

This was really hard, as it seems for a lot of others. I've gotten comments on extended BFing, what we eat, umm co-sleeping, my even just thinking about homeschooling. The list could go on and on. I live in a pretty enlightened area however there are always those who are quick to judge.
#96 of 105 Old 02-01-2006, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cosleeping, definitely. My mom thinks we're making a big mistake still "letting" DS come into our bed when he wakes up in the middle of the night (he starts the night out in his own toddler bed), my friends all seem to think I'm nuts and DH and I get no privacy (though no one has really said anything, I can tell by their mmmmms, and interestings, or lack of response at all )...

...but just last night, DH came to bed after DS had joined us, climbed in and DS snuggled up against him. DH sighed happily and said, "ooh, he's toasty warm, I love when he leans up against me" and fell asleep right away.

We both our middle of the night interloper, and have no intentions of stopping until he's good and ready!

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#97 of 105 Old 02-01-2006, 06:16 PM

I haven't had a lot of negative comments about anything. I get some negativity from my sister (this is what she lives for) about breastfeeding (not extended - 21 months - but extended in her eyes), cloth diapering (it makes her angry because she claims it's too much work and won't even try) and cosleeping. They're not really that critical, for the most part...more of an implication that it's too much work and she's too busy to do all that (she has three small children, while I only have two). She's a bit...odd.

DS1 is in public school, but we're planning to homeschool dd & ds2. My sister doesn't know that yet, but I already know all hell is going to break loose. I've heard her go on about my cousin who homeschools. Fortunately, I don't much care what she says about it.

I don't discuss cosleeping or vax (I've only refused a few) with people I don't know well.

I did have an online acquaintance tell me that uncircumsized men are freaks.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#98 of 105 Old 02-02-2006, 12:00 AM

My vote was 'other'. I haven't really had any criticism about parenting. But then I bought DS (21m) a doll. *horrors* Now I hear it from DH and FIL everytime I engage DS in playing wih his doll. And it's so cute in a little *blue* outfit. DS gives him a bottle, hugs and kisses him, and is learning body part names.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#99 of 105 Old 02-02-2006, 05:55 AM
Banned

People try to criticize me about not vaxing but a simple "When you lose a child to a vaccination, then you can talk to me about it" usually shuts them right up. My family is very supportive of my anti-vax stance.

I guess second are our food and discipline choices. People get freaked out that we eat a lot of organic fruits/veggies, milk, chicken, beef because they organic is weird. I think eating something soaked in pesticides and God knows what else is weird. I stopped spanking over 8 months ago and of course I'm told that I have to spank in order to have a "good kid". He wasn't a "good kid" when he was spanked and he isn't a "good kid" most of the time now. He's 5--they're not "good" at that age because they're 5! Yes, it's frustrating when he ignores me or talks back but I'm not going to hit him for it!

Third is probably baby wearing/cloth diapering. People just seem to think both are strange and that cloth diapers are unsanitary. I think clogging up the Earth with used disposable diapers is unsanitary. I've had people tell me to take my daughter out of the Mei Tai and let her walk--she's not even a year old! It's not like she can walk very far or keep up.

Homeschooling gets us a lot of bizarre looks and comments. It's always, "How are they going to be socialized? They're going to be freaks!" Yeah buddy, and you turned out sooooo well and apparently learned how to talk out of your @ss in public school since you're making these ridiculous comments.
#100 of 105 Old 02-02-2006, 07:43 PM

Until recently - Cosleeping and not CIO.

Recently, I have felt like parenting is more criticized on MDC than IRL because I am not homeschooling.

BJ
Barney & Ben
#101 of 105 Old 02-03-2006, 02:09 PM

I don't get a lot of flack about much but I'd say not CIO/sleep training gets the most comments. Actually, not letting them cry at all. Sheesh.
#102 of 105 Old 02-03-2006, 05:38 PM

cosleeping.. hands down

Jenn: WOHM to a big girl (7/03), a medium girl (8/07), and a little girl (12/10)
#103 of 105 Old 02-03-2006, 11:14 PM

homeschooling, much more than any of those other things, including homebirth
#104 of 105 Old 02-04-2006, 07:09 PM

So hard to choose!

Some things don't get much comment because I'm not very open about it - not vaxing, for example.

I would say no spanking has got to be the big one. We are Christian and we live in the Bible belt - people cannot wrap their minds around the fact that discipline and spanking are two totally different things! We even got into a long debate about it at our Bible study group (I think I had an awesome defense if I do say so myself )

Good poll!
#105 of 105 Old 02-06-2006, 01:09 PM
lab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Okay, my kids are older so most of this poll doesn't apply. I suppose if I had to select, the gentle dis would work best.

Anywho, I get crap from my family/friends for allowing my kids to voice their opinions. My family/friends view this as talking back and disrespect. I'm okay with my kids having the last word or stating out loud that they believe something to be unfair. I'm don't mind explaining my reasoning behind a request.

I've actually had to intervene with family/friends and tell them to leave my kid alone!

When my kids were younger, it was CIO that was the problem

Trying to do the right thing with three kids and a hubby. 
ds20, dd18, ds17

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page