Mothering Forum banner

Do Britax Marathons really last until 65 lbs?

724 views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  nancy926 
#1 ·
I can't believe I'm even considering one of these for my 3 year old but I need to pass on his Roundabout to his sister and started looking for boosters...he's only 33 lbs so most of the boosters seem a little big for him. Plus, they really seem uncomfortable. Should I just go for it with a Marathon (which I can pass on to dd later) or get a booster?

#2 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TranscendentalMom
I can't believe I'm even considering one of these for my 3 year old but I need to pass on his Roundabout to his sister and started looking for boosters...he's only 33 lbs so most of the boosters seem a little big for him. Plus, they really seem uncomfortable. Should I just go for it with a Marathon (which I can pass on to dd later) or get a booster?
The Marathon rarely fits a 65 lb child unless the are very short and stocky, but it will probably fit your child until his is 6 years old, most kids outgrow it by height between 5 and 7. By 6 he will be fine in a booster and the baby will be able to use the Marathon.

#3 ·
I switched over to a Marathon recently when my DS was 33 lbs. He is 38" tall and almost 3 yrs old. He fits in the Marathon very nicely with plenty of room to grow, I'm happy I bought one

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by uccomama
The Marathon rarely fits a 65 lb child unless the are very short and stocky, but it will probably fit your child until his is 6 years old, most kids outgrow it by height between 5 and 7. By 6 he will be fine in a booster and the baby will be able to use the Marathon.
That's our plan too. When DS2 is ready for the Marathon (and outgrows the Roundabout, which was 3 and some change for DS1), we'll move him to the Marathon, and DS1 should be about 6 some change and ready for a booster.

#5 ·
My dd will be 5 yrs old in March and she still fits comfortably in the marathon. She is 42 lbs and 43 inches and looking at the straps in her seat I'd guess she would fit for about another yr. I think it's a good investment especially if there is a younger sibling to use it as well. Just remember that the seats usually expire in 6 yrs (Britax may be longer?)

#6 ·
When ds was 3 yrs 1 month we were in a fender bender, and upgraded to Marathon's from Roundabouts with the insurance company.

Anyway Ds is now 4.5 (5 in April) and still fits very comfortably with room to grow in his Marathon. With the way he is growing I think I can easily get another year out of the Marathon. I don't see him being in it until 65 pounds but still very worth the investment.

#8 ·
I believe the top harness slots of the Marathon are at 17.5-18". I think the height limit is 47", however the real factor is the length of the child from bottom of the butt to top of the shoulder when sitting down. My dd is only 43", however she outgrew the Marathon because her shoulders were getting to be above the top harness slots (she is now about 18.5" from her bottom to top of her shoulders.

#9 ·
My son lasted in his til he was 5 1/2. He was 49 pounds and about 48". Such a bummer.....he had quite a bit to go before the top of his ears were too tall for the seat, but his shoulders were above the top slot.

We got a recaro booster seat to replace it.

For what it's worth, I still think they are worth it even if you don't buy one from the beginning (we got our's when he was 2ish). I sold mine on craigslist for $85.00 which helped considerably in paying for the Recaro. Not bad for a seat we used every day, in my opinion.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ameliabedelia
I believe the top harness slots of the Marathon are at 17.5-18". I think the height limit is 47", however the real factor is the length of the child from bottom of the butt to top of the shoulder when sitting down. My dd is only 43", however she outgrew the Marathon because her shoulders were getting to be above the top harness slots (she is now about 18.5" from her bottom to top of her shoulders.
Thank you ameliabedelia, I am going to measure him.
The weight limit cracks me up because my ds will probably be in high school before he hits 65 pounds. My sister has a very petite daughter and we always joke that she'll need a seatbelt booster seat to go to her prom.

#11 ·
Just wanted to add you might consider the Wizard (if you haven't already). They have been replaced by another model (not sure which) but are available for a good price on the web. It is a marathon w/ side impact wings. Some kids don't like the wings, though. Just an fyi in case you weren't aware--disregard this if you already knew!

Oh, I have two. One for my 10mo that I have been using since 5 months and one for my 4 1/2 yo who is tall.

#12 ·
The Wizard is being replaced by the Boulevard. I got a Wizard online a couple of months ago for $200, but I don't see them for less than $270 now even though they're being discontinued. ???

DD is 39 inches and 3 years old - she fits in the Marathon but we're already using the top slots (she's very long in the body). I'm hoping for at least another 18 months out of it...then we'll probably put her in some sort of booster (preferably one that's harnessed to a certain weight).

I got the Wizard for DD2 for when she outgrows her infant seat. I figure if she grows up with the side-impact wings, she won't know any different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.