Ballet is not for boys so sad, wwyd? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-30-2006, 05:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Heck, if my son wants to learn to dance ballet and wants to wear a pink tutu I will support him all the way! If there are people who make fun - fellow students or parents - it is a good way to educate. As PP said, what about Mikael Barishnakov (SP?)? Billy Elliott? If this is the biggest "problem" I have with DS when he is four I will be counting my blessings
-Susannah

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2006, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If there are people who make fun - fellow students or parents - it is a good way to educate.
Yep not a nice way, but I think he's learned more gotten more self esteem by allowing himself to love something people don't want him too....he's a rebel in a tutu (lol okay minus the tutu

8 might be enough
Old 01-31-2006, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Two boys showed up today for ballet class,
one was almost certainly not 4 (missing 4 front teeth and had adults popping in...total off the wall kid) and the other gone in 60 seconds!

8 might be enough
Old 02-01-2006, 10:22 AM

Well hopefully he will have a comrade in arms so to speak! You should be proud that he is willing to fight for his right to party!!. Can we see the outfit you made?

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
Old 02-01-2006, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been following this thread, and I'm so glad to see the outcome!

Also wanted to add my own little moment from last night.

I danced from 6 yrs -21 yrs old, and it was just such a wonderful addition to my life, I will always treasure it. WHen we had DS, I started concocting in my mind ways to get DH to agree to let him try it - DH is a weird guy, sometimes very open and sensitive about typically gender-sterotyped things, sometimes not...and the guys at work get great joy out of teasing him about DS taking piano, singing, listening to classical music, etc : (DH is in a very "manly" industry) but DH has great comebacks, like - 'Whatever, we'll see who's kid is more well adjusted and successful in 30 years', or something like that.

So out of the blue last night, at dinner, he's telling me about one of their customers (a guy) who came in that day, who owns a local dance studio, and one of his coworkers was 'teasing' him and said, "so I suppose you'd be OK with DS taking ballet, too?" and DH said, "Of course, why wouldn't I?" Then, when the customer came back to pick up, he had 3 or 4 girls (cute teenagers) from the studio with him, and after they left, DH said to the guy, "Did you see that?" and the guy said "yeah?..." and DH said, "THAT'S why I'm OK with him taking ballet. While your son is showering with a bunch of sweaty guys after football practice, MY son is gonna be hanging out with cute girls." YAY DH!!!

Soo, I had to ask him if he was serious - like, really, it's OK for me to start scoping out schools for DS in the next couple years (cause I will be choosy)...and he said, 'of course! - I want him to be as well rounded as possilbe.'

SO, I guess we're hoping to have a hockey-playing, piano-playing, ballet-dancing, singing, martial arts master son - HA! We just want him to experience everything, and then decide himself what's right for him. and I am SO glad that we seem to be much more on the same page than I thought!!

I am !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
Old 02-01-2006, 11:20 PM

in the past, ds (5) has said, 'ballet is for girls' which made me sad- he didn't get that here; the library had a program with the nashville ballet awhile ago (when he was 2) & he & all the other little boys had a great time...

anyway, last night a channel had on prokofiev's 'cinderella' & the boys were *enchanted*. they couldn't believe how strong the prince had to be, to lift cinderella so much & make it look so easy! so now they are asking for more ballet (they were so disappointed when it turned to cecilia bartoli's 'cinderella' - the appeal of opera has eluded them so far. they loved the p-funk special on pbs after though, they decided they'd break dance & yiu know? ds #1 is not bad at all.)

i have no idea where to begin looking for dance classes around here locally; i fear most are of the frou-frou variety, & more than i can afford (after i just paid for soccer season & priced tae kwon do ) if they are more than 'free', sigh, but i am curious enough to see if his interest continues...

more than movies about dance, are there some ballets (i know nothing, nada) on dvd that young boys would especially appreciate? fight scenes and strong male role models would be nice. i might as well see if they keep up and interest & if they do, work it into the budget for future (i dread seeing what is available here; i'll read that book, thanks for the recommendation, but it is hard to imagine knowing less about a subject than dance, clumsy moi. i was definately more chaps & boots than tutu in my youth. if i would've puked having to wear a tutu, i don't expect boy #1 to get all het up about it either- even if he did like him a good feather boa at two.)
Old 02-02-2006, 12:28 AM

I don't have much advice to offer, but I just was happy to see so many with boys in ballet. My DS (almost 4) loves his ballet class. The girls wear pink leotards and pink or white tights, pink shoes. The boys, yes boys, there are two total, wear white tucked in shirts, black pants (leggings style).

No one at his ballet school has said ballet is only for girls, but the other day at our AP playgroup one of the older boys said that it was. DS chimed right in with 'No it is not, boys dance too' and the subject was changed right away. LOL

DS's teacher is excellent and perfect for my son's temperment. She is very gentle and loves having the boys in the class, she has already started teaching the boys some of their different moves, like bowing, hand position, etc.

I am so proud of him
Old 02-02-2006, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTail
more than movies about dance, are there some ballets (i know nothing, nada) on dvd that young boys would especially appreciate? fight scenes and strong male role models would be nice.
Off the top of my head, here are a few old standards that have fight scenes or are a bit more lighthearted than others (some classic ballets deal a lot with death/suicide for love, and I don't know if you want to get into that or not even though deaths in ballets are still graceful and not real gory - don't wanna make that call for you)

The Nutcracker
Le Corsaire (about Pirates)
The Sleeping Beauty (I own an old Royal Ballet production, and love it - some good male roles in this one)
Coppelia (about a toy maker who tries to trick a kid to put him into a doll, but his girlfriend saves him....that's a VERY simplified synopsis )

I'm sure if you Google those, you can find out the plots and decide if they're appropriate or not....also, if you Google "famous ballets" or somethign like that you'd probably get a list to pick from.

If you're OK with a little death (gee, that sounds real good ), some standards to check out are:
Romeo and Juliet (need I say more?)
Giselle
Swan Lake
Les Sylphides

Also, many professional companies are doing 'guy only' performances (albeit more modern than ballet), recognizing that men have a lot more to offer to ballet than just standing there holding a girl.

AND, for those who might be up for something a ittle "different" there's a great comapny called Les Ballets Trokadero de Monte Carlo - it's all men, and they do ALL the roles...and do it in a kind of tongue-in-cheek tribute to classical ballets, so yes, there's guys on their toes, big hulking men in long tutus...but you cannot deny that they are technically superb and have a great sense of humor and love for dance. I saw their production of the Nutcracker and it was amazing, with men playing all roles including little Clara The website is even funnier, giving "bios" of the guy's various "characters"... From their website:
Quote:
The original concept of LES BALLETS TROCKADERO DE MONTE CARLO has not changed since its inception. It is a Company of professional male dancers performing the full range of the ballet and modern dance repertoire, including classical and original works in faithful renditions of the manners and conceits of those dance styles. The comedy is achieved by incorporating and exaggerating the foibles, accidents, and underlying incongruities of serious dance. The fact that men dance all the parts--heavy bodies delicately balancing on toes as swans, sylphs, water sprites, romantic princesses, angst-ridden Victorian ladies--enhances rather than mocks the spirit of dance as an art form, delighting and amusing the most knowledgeable, as well as novices, in the audiences. For the future, there are plans for new works in the repertoire: new cities, states and countries to perform in; and for the continuation of the TROCKs' original purpose: to bring the pleasure of dance to the widest possible audience. They will, as they have done for thirty years, “Keep on Trockin'.”
and here's their website The Trocks And no, I don't know any of them, I just really tihnk it's a fresh idea in dance.

Old 02-02-2006, 03:42 PM

thank you! stylized death, drag, i don't censor much . i forgot about the trocks.

sleeping beauty would be great, ds knows princess aurora personally. and le corsaire, pirates? they love pirates! great ideas!

edit: oh good, along with the 1000 angelina ballerina & 'barbie does swan lake' dvds at the library, i found the nureyev 'sleeping beauty', not just the mats ek modernized one. yay! we're on hold. no corsairs, though, sadly; on to netflix...
Old 02-02-2006, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTail
thank you! stylized death, drag, i don't censor much . i forgot about the trocks.
: I love it!!

Glad to be of service, and glad you found a decent SB production!

Old 02-02-2006, 10:56 PM

I just found this thread and wanted to say that my 6yo takes Intro to Dance, and yes he is the only boy. He was sick one day and saw his sister's class and was fascinated, has been going ever since.

We are very fortunate that the studio director really wants boys and goes out of her way to support him. Gives him good roles in the recitals and shows the strong side of male dancing whenever she can. Do you have access to another studio that emphasizes Dance Training over Ballerina Fantasy?

I am also fortunate that my FIL was a pro dancer for many years, he supports him in many ways also. He was also a semi-pro athlete and always says that the dancing helps with ANY sport. I don't know how long ds will last with this, because of societal pressures, but I know that every minute he does get is really valuable, so I don't look too far ahead.

I would be cautious about Billy Elliot, it was pretty scary for our little kids and I think it would work better on an older kid. BUT I highly recommend Gene Kelly movies!! He had a lot of ballet training and it shows. Our kids really like Singing in the Rain. They think Make Em Laugh is the best...

Good luck! I think you might find good dance out there - or at worst, you can attend performances, watch movies, and set up a music and dance place at home.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:55 AM

Boys most certainly do ballet! Here's a picture of my ds in his Christmas performance costume "La Boutique Fantastique". There are two male dancers in the background. They are some of the strongest men I have ever encountered and OMG the attention that they get from the ballerina's!

Dancers
Old 02-08-2006, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi, I just remembered a good DVD to recommend. We rented Royal Ballet School: Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf for my boys and they loved it so much we bought it for them. Here's a link to the DVD at Amazon . Of course the main character is Peter and he's played by I'm guessing a 10 - 12 year old boy. Plus there's the wolf, the grandfather and the hunters.

Kate - Mama to Max (13), Noah (11), James (9) and Isabelle (6)
Old 02-08-2006, 02:29 PM

I'm lucky enough to live near Saratoga, NY where the NYC ballet spends the summer (i'm not a dancer, had a little bit of training in college). I saw a performance there, called the Union Jack I think, where there was a boatload of male dancers in Kilts. It was way cool.

When DS is a little older we may have to go to some matinees again.

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:
Old 04-11-2006, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Ds's ballet teacher is writing up his recommendation for the national ballet school's junior associate programme.... she said she's only ever recommened one student who did get in but she thinks ds is scholarship material....lol

Its kinda funny journey, she thinks he's great and (I think he's a great little guy but honest I don't know a dancer from a great dancer)....but its a weird thing I mean if he's really 'that' good....then what do I do?

I mean most parents of girls would be calling people to brag...me I am just still giggling, dh and I are both dumbfounded. like if our kid was into hockey and good it would be power skate, house leagues, try out leagues select special ice time....we know that drill....but?

He's only doing a community dance class now (so the teacher is volunteer and doesn't teach for money anywhere) she's not motivated or has any personal gain in saying my school produced this kid (its the YMCA for goodness sake)..... should I look at getting him more dance instruction?

I love kids, they are so full of surprises! Being a parent is an amazing journey. And I am happy I not one of those my kids gonna play hockey and be an engineer.... but how do I nurture a gift I know nothing about?

HELP!!!

8 might be enough
Old 04-11-2006, 10:48 PM

First let me say that is just AWESOME!!!!! I wish my ds were into ballet! But here is my advice:

It's simple you do it just like we did, only with hockey instead of ballet. We knew almost nothing about hockey and my ds is a goalie and we knew even less about that.

We got books on the subject, watched training videos and watched lots of games on TV and in person. We also talked to lots of ppl who knew more then we did. We still don't know everything but we're getting there.

I think it is wonderful that he seems to have a gift for this. So now you need to know if he has the desire. I don't know about these kinds of schools but I am guessing the time committment in and out of class would be alot more then he is used to now. So check all of that out first. I don't think there is any harm in letting him try out, who knows he may be the next big thing. Congrats and good luck.

And btw we never did get to see that costume you were working on! I for one am still interested!

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
Old 04-12-2006, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
We got books on the subject, watched training videos and watched lots of games on TV and in person. We also talked to lots of ppl who knew more then we did. We still don't know everything but we're getting there.
lol see being cannucks we all know hockey but that's a good idea getting some books and getting him interested in the 'game' by taking him to performances, open houses at the ballet places.

I am just so hesitant to be thrust into that pagent dance recital mommy crap. I just want my son to dance not be made up like a taco and dance with enchiladas....bad memories of being chosen to be Bert as in bert and ernie...I know its cause I was a better figure skater...but still that darn ugly costume and yellow face paint....

Quote:
I think it is wonderful that he seems to have a gift for this. So now you need to know if he has the desire.
I asked him if he wanted another type of dance class today while he was just playing and he said he'd love it....so I am off to find a good dance school with hopefully boys...

Quote:
And btw we never did get to see that costume you were working on! I for one am still interested!
brought my new camera today....and was told pictures even of only my child were not allowed! So I will have to make him dress up at home!

8 might be enough
Old 04-12-2006, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL
I would make a good outfit that he loves, and I would rent/borrow from the library Baryshnikov videos. Talk about a man who can make ballet seem coool!!! And he is a real guy, who really made a living at it and who clearly loved it. And there is a lot of solo stuff that he did...so he can see ballet without the girls in tutus! Might be good for him.

I mean look at him!!!
http://www.masters-of-photography.co...aryshnikov.jpg

I love that man. Love, love, love him.

And this is SUCH a good idea. Ds (5) started with the "Ballet is for GIRLS!" thing a few months ago. I rented "The Nutcracker" with Baryshnikov and we watched the whole thing and talked about how strong he is, how high he can jump, etc. He was absolutely enthralled and now he likes to pretend to be the Nutcracker, dance moves and all.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

hmm maybe I should get him a tshirt
Superheros wear tights
ballet is for boys...

8 might be enough
Old 04-13-2006, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh
I am just so hesitant to be thrust into that pagent dance recital mommy crap. I just want my son to dance not be made up like a taco and dance with enchiladas....bad memories of being chosen to be Bert as in bert and ernie...I know its cause I was a better figure skater...but still that darn ugly costume and yellow face paint....

I asked him if he wanted another type of dance class today while he was just playing and he said he'd love it....so I am off to find a good dance school with hopefully boys...
I took ballet from ages 3 to 15 and I was taught by a Royal Academy of Dance certified teacher. There were absolutely no tutus or recitals, only year-end examinations that allowed us to pass from level to level. Some might think this is too rigid an environment for young children... but it does provide excellent discipline, and if your son truly loves ballet (as I did - I was *obsessed*)than it might be a good choice for you.

http://www.radcanada.org/studiodirec...dios/t.htm#tor
- a list of R.A.D. studios in TO.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Just an update
DS had his first 'real' ballet class russian style...darn he's a natural!!
I bucked up the money (OUCH) and took a deep breath.
(the school said they'd offer me a full refund if he backed out at any time!)

I was so proud as he's really good not just a token Y chromasome
The teachers mind you were really stumbling to remember to include him..
the secretary was instructing us on no tutus, pink leotards and I just giggled until she saw my handsome little dude lol oh not for him

I am so proud of my little man for sticking with what he loves.
and for all the sexist stuff he had half the girls following him around!
parents were shocked as well 'he's in this class?'
YES sir watch him go

and he really liked the structure and learning new moves.

8 might be enough
Old 09-16-2006, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh
Just an update
DS had his first 'real' ballet class russian style...darn he's a natural!!
I bucked up the money (OUCH) and took a deep breath.
(the school said they'd offer me a full refund if he backed out at any time!)

I was so proud as he's really good not just a token Y chromasome
The teachers mind you were really stumbling to remember to include him..
the secretary was instructing us on no tutus, pink leotards and I just giggled until she saw my handsome little dude lol oh not for him

I am so proud of my little man for sticking with what he loves.
and for all the sexist stuff he had half the girls following him around!
parents were shocked as well 'he's in this class?'
YES sir watch him go

and he really liked the structure and learning new moves.
Love this post and KUDOS to you!!!! When my DS was 4 he asked if he could take ballet after going to see the Alvin Ailey Dance Company. I said sure because I don't need my DS telling his college friends how his mom was not supportive EVER. His first day at class, this man says to him that his interest in ballet won't last long - as if I'm pushing it on him. His paternal gmom says he needs to get into basketball. I said he needs to get into whatever he's interested in. Sadly, he told his dad about class becaue he was so excited and dad said I don't want to hear about ballet. What a #$%#!!! Anyway, he finished the year but didn't take dance for a year. We went to a tap performance and he decided to take tap. Still the only boy in the class but he LOVES to dance!!! LOVES IT!!! I just wish our homophobic society would leave our boys alone. At least those are the kinds of responses I got, he's going to be gay because he dances.

Mom to DS (16), DD (7), DS (5), and excitedenergy.gif about my final baby due October 2014. Love fluffy mailheartbeat.gif, appreciate midwives, and can't wait to wear a baby againjoy.gif!
Old 09-17-2006, 12:56 PM
Banned

Yeah, tutus would be obscuring the kids' and teacher's ability to observe their form-- you're only supposed to wear them for performances anyway. I love your ideas!
Old 09-17-2006, 06:36 PM

My son is 5.5 and just started dance lessons. My children are attending a real dance school with a strict dress code and a professional dance company. They do not do competitions. My son is the only boy in his class and we warned him in advance that he probably would be but talked on and on about how that doesn't matter. Well he had his first class last week (the boy uniform for this age is a white t-shirt, black shorts, white socks and white full sole ballet slippers) and he got a completely positive reception. A lot of the parents were congratulating me on letting my son do dance. I just said that my kids can do what they want to do in life and if my son becomes a ballet dancer and my daughter becomes a mechanic then that's just fine with me. The other little girls in the class were a bit confused. One little girl said, "Is HE is this class?" And I said, "Yes and don't you think he has nice white shoes?" and then all the little girls were crowding around looking at his nice white shoes because they all had to have the same pink ones.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Old 09-17-2006, 09:14 PM

Good for your son for sicking with what he loves!

Mama of three.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9Jz6liH6og

have you guys seen that video...
ballet is not for sissies

going to be gay... lol this kid has more moves and more lines at four than my dh... he takes after my dad that smoothe operator

8 might be enough
Old 09-18-2006, 09:20 PM

That is a GREAT video!

Mama of three.

Old 09-24-2006, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

ahh now its the kids in his kindergarten class with the ballet is not for boys take hockey instead!!!ahhhh going to speak to the teacher

8 might be enough

User Tag List