How do you "night wean"??!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-05-2003, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd is almost 6 mos. and still nurses almost every three hours day and night... How do you night wean? Just not nurse her when she wakes at night?? But isn't she hungry? How will she get enough food? Make up for it during the day?? You can tell that I'm new to this, but someone please explain....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2003, 02:03 PM

Personally, I would wait until you can talk with her and know she can understand and look foward to a plan. This is what I did. Nightweaning after about 18 months seems much kinder to me.
Old 02-05-2003, 02:55 PM

I would agree that 6 months is too young. I would wait until at least 18 months or so. My ds is 20 months old, and I still don't think he is entirely ready. I am going to give him a few more months before considering it.

If nightwaking is still an issue when she is older, you can check out www.drjaygordon.com. He discusses compassionate nightweaning, but is adamant that it not be applied to a young child. A lot of moms here have used his approach.
Old 02-05-2003, 03:03 PM

My DD is 6.5 mos and I agree it's definitely too young to nightwean. DD has recently begun teething heavily, and added a night feed b/c of this. I think they have a real need for it at this age, and gentle child-led weaning advocates stress the need to wait until the child is much older.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Old 02-05-2003, 03:11 PM

I agree. I don't think too many six-month-old babies are ready to stop nursing at night. I do differ a bit from some of the mamas above, though - I did "night wean" dd at about a year, but it wasn't much of a struggle (if it had been, I would have assumed that she wasn't ready). She was only waking once a night and would literally fall asleep about twenty seconds after latching on, and since we did not co-sleep, it was pretty disruptive, I have to admit...I was never able to get myself back to sleep and I was exhausted all the time during the day.

At that age, I found that after a few nights of comforting her back to sleep without nursing, she actually stopped waking up. But like I said, I wouldn't do this at six months.
Old 02-05-2003, 05:57 PM

I've not been there yet but I can say that I have not tried to night wean dd yet because I am trying to delay mensus. Also she sleeps better when she has full access to the milkies.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 02-05-2003, 06:21 PM

Hi,
Although I agree that 6 months might be too young to night wean, I don't think you need to wait until 18 months to night wean. It really depends on your situation, your baby and how much she is getting up at night. IMO, if she gets in the habit of nursing for comfort ALL of the time, it will fragment both her sleep and yours and neither of you will be well rested.

My dd, 12 12 months old was starting to wake up ever 1 1/2 -2 hours to nurse for comfort. We decided to try Elizabeth Pantely's Nighttime approach to reduce the nursings. I began doing this when dd was about 11 months old. I didn't want to wean all together, just to reduce the wakings. Now, we are trying Dr. Jay Gordon's approach, because, again, I want her to get a longer period of consolidated sleep. Basically, she goes to bed at about 7 p.m. and I nurse on demand until about 11:30 p.m. From 11:30 to about 6:00 a.m., I try to comfort her to sleep with other methods...back rubbing, dh holding, singing... We did this method a few weeks back and it was working but then we got side tracked with other things. We are now starting it again. If you are serious about doing some form of night weaning, I would suggest taking a look at the No Cry Sleep Solution Book by Pantely and Dr. Gordon's site at www.drjaygordon.com. Again, I wouldn't really recommend doing this until dd is a little older In fact, Dr. Gordon doesn't recommend any change until the baby is at least 12 months old. Use your own best judgment where that is concerned. Good Luck!!

Libby
Old 02-05-2003, 07:08 PM

Sounds to me like maybe you don't actually want to totally night wean, just cut down? If so, I have some suggestions, as my dd is 7 months old and has wanted to nurse ALL night long, but for the last week, I've tried a couple of things, and she only nursed 2 times last night! God, I feel good.

When she nurses, and starts to fall asleep, I pop her off my boob so that she's falling asleep without it in her mouth. This gets her used to falling asleep with out ACTUALLY nursing at that moment.

Second, you can start to space out her feedings by 15 minutes a night, until you reach you desired time amount. Say, start the first night not feeding her more often than every three hours. If she wakes up, just pick her up and rock her back to sleep, pat her on the back, etc. I thought my dd would have a hard time with this, but surprisingly, not at all. Next night, do 3 h. 15 m. My goal was for her to get down to 2 feedings a night and it took me about a week to accomplish this, with no CRYING.

Maybe try this and see if it works for you. I just decided I was going to do it, so I went to bed early every night so that I had to energy at 4 am to actually wake up enough to rock her rather than plop a boob in her mouth like I usually did. Good luck!

Elise-mama to Zoe Lea
Old 02-05-2003, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for all the input,
you're right waterabee, I wasn't really thinking of night-weaning right now... I just wasn't sure how it was done. How to tell the difference between hunger and comfort. Although, maybe that's something I'll know better as dd gets older. Like last night, she woke up after about 2 hours and I fed her just to make sure she went back to sleep. Its tiredness on my part... but I don't want to have to get up at 3 a.m. and try to put her back to sleep some other way. I kindof assumed that dd would gradually extend the periods between nursing on her own but she's been a steady 3 hour baby since about 2 months. Every once in awhile she'll throw a 4 hour interval in on me but not as often as I'd like.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:05 PM

i think you HAVE to feed them if they are hungry.

i suppose what I would do is, I would TRY other things first, diaper, rocking chair, dancing, patting back..hugging...

if all else fails, then nurse.

that is how we did "bottle night weaning". i'd just try other stuff first and feed last.

but, i think you HAVE to feed them if nothting else makes them happy.
Old 02-07-2003, 02:20 AM

I just wanted to mention that night weaning doesn't mean the end to night waking. 6 mos is a prominent time for teething and nursing will help soothe the pain and comfort her. Personally I would rather roll over and nurse then have to get up every 3 hours to rock or walk around with DD to soothe her back to sleep. It's very normal and natural for a 6 mos to wake this often. How about changing your expectations and try covering up the clock and just focusing on the smell of her hair and the sweetness of her suckle when she awakes. I too felt very desperate at about 8 mos with DS until a LLL leader helped me to look at things in a different light. Hope this helps.

User Tag List