arguments against preschool? - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 154 Old 06-30-2006, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This thread has gone on for almost 6 months now and had kind of taken on another life of its own. If you really wanted just arguments for why not to send your child to preschool the Education at Home forum would have been a better place for this. Putting it on the general parenting board is going to cause parents who send their kids to preschool to feel kind of hurt that these nightmare scenarios are being promoted about parents who send their kids to preschool and the preschools themselves.

I think some of us who have responded don't believe that that preschool is never right or preschool is always right. I think they just get a little incensed at seeing gross generalizations used to support a decision that aren't actually true. The preschool that we want to send our daughter to is nothing like the preschools you describe. In fact none of the 4 we've looked at are like that. All of us I think have been supportive of the fact that you and your child don't feel like preschool was a good idea for you. And frankly that should be all of the justification any parent needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 of 154 Old 06-30-2006, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalou
This thread has gone on for almost 6 months now and had kind of taken on another life of its own. If you really wanted just arguments for why not to send your child to preschool the Education at Home forum would have been a better place for this. Putting it on the general parenting board is going to cause parents who send their kids to preschool to feel kind of hurt that these nightmare scenarios are being promoted about parents who send their kids to preschool and the preschools themselves.

I think some of us who have responded don't believe that that preschool is never right or preschool is always right. I think they just get a little incensed at seeing gross generalizations used to support a decision that aren't actually true. The preschool that we want to send our daughter to is nothing like the preschools you describe. In fact none of the 4 we've looked at are like that. All of us I think have been supportive of the fact that you and your child don't feel like preschool was a good idea for you. And frankly that should be all of the justification any parent needs.

I think in this and your previous post you have said what I wanted to say better than I could...

Jen, former attorney and now SAHM to 11 yo ds and 8 yo ds

#153 of 154 Old 06-30-2006, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkpmomtoboys
I agree that's a gross generalization. Maybe that's true for your kids but it hasn't been true for mine. I don't think our 4 hour a week preschool has ever taught our kids anything like that. They've learned empathy, kindness, respect for alternative authority figures, etc...

My oldest is now in a Sudbury-like public school that encourages independent thought and respect.

So again, scare tactics are fun but really far from the reality around here...
4 hours a week in another setting is entirely different then several hours a day for a week. And I'm sure the respect, kindness, and empathy that your children "learned" is from their great, loving relationship with you not their same aged peers. That was my point when I provided the research about social development. Many people think that kids "need" preschool for social development, but that is far from the truth. Socialization is learned through interactions with the primary adults in their kid's lives---and hopefully those adults are decent social role models.

I think it's great if settings with other children can be found that parents feel comfortable with. From what I hear, areas in Vermont, along with SanFran are two places where I'd expect there to be progressive, family oriented, close to ideal preschool settings. But those are the exception, not the rule.
#154 of 154 Old 06-30-2006, 09:17 PM

I couldn't even finish reading that article above. it's so heartbreaking, and so true.

I've worked in one terrible daycare, and one average one, I've nannyed three times, and done childcare in my own home once. the daycares were just not right. not for any of the kids. I know some moms have to work, and even want to work, and I support that. but I think hiring a professional, reputable nanny is essential. no child deserves to be trapped within the same walls every day for years on end, only let out once a day like dogs. I offer low-ish cost care in my home and can't even find a family right now, I feel so awful that someone is bringing their baby to a center when it could be with me and dd. I'm not judging, I'm really, really, really not- I wish I were- I wish I was wrong.

I was an assitant preschool teacher. I'd never put my dd in preschool. never.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page