SmartScents Toys - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-08-2003, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do any of ou have one of these. We got one the other day as a baby present and it seemed really fun at first. it is just a little blankie with a duck head to hold onto (that doesn't make much sense in writing but it is cute - just trust me on this) Anyway it is "lightly scented because the theory is that scent helps them learn (whatever I just though it smelled good).

OK here is my question, maybe i am just being over sensitive but the thing smells so strongly!! It makes me a little dizzy. DD doesn't seem to mind. Does anyone know wha effects a too strong smell can have on babies? If anyone has one of these toys does the smell mello pretty quickly?

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2003, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
oh yuck! it sounds awful. i can't stand chemical smells. even scented candles send my sinuses into fits. that said, dd does have a babydoll that smells like babypowder that i had hoped would fade, and maybe it has some, but i can still smell it. i can't take it away from her 'cause it was a christmas gift and she loves it, but i certainly would never go out an purposefully buy a scented toy. ugh!

if your little one doesn't seem overly attached to it i'd try to "lose it" for a few days in an unused closet or something and if she doesn't miss it terribly donate it away.

i think i read something recently -- maybe here -- about phthalates being used in cosmetics to carry scents. those are bad news chemicals so much so that lots of baby toys are marked phthalate free.

i still can't see me taking babydoll away from dd, though...
:

hth

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
Old 02-08-2003, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think stimulating the senses is a great way for a new baby to learn about the world, and develop those all important neuronal connections that get so much discussion these days.

But those chemically scented toys, ick! There are so many natural scents babies can enjoy. Spices, vanilla, baking bread, plants. Why expose kids to more chemicals?

Ack! Anything to sell!

If you really like the item I guess you could wash it in maybe baking soda and vinegar, or maybe washing soda, to lose the scent. Right now I'm trying to get eau de thrift shop (that stuff they spray in every thrift shop I've ever purchased in) out, so far I've only gotten as far as borax and baking soda, with little luck. I think you need hot water, don't know how the duck head will stand up to that.

User Tag List