Share your birthday traditions! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-16-2002, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're just getting ready to celebrate DS' first birthday next week. We would like to start some new traditions to take the emphasis off gift-giving and place it on ritual and celebration instead. We plan on doing a "blessing", where everyone passes ds around a circle and gives him a special birthday wish. But we're looking for more ideas.

What does your family do to celebrate birthdays? I'd love to hear your traditions and celebration ideas!
#2 of 10 Old 01-16-2002, 02:12 PM

A long-standing tradition in my family, which we continued with Chace, is to put the cake in front of the child on their fist birthday and let them have at it. It's a messy tradition, to be sure, but it's also a lot of fun to see what the baby will do with the cake- eat it, throw it, or both. We have pictures of three generations, my mom, me, and now my son, multilating their first birthday cakes!

If you're looking for a healthier alternative I have a delicious recipie for whole wheat buttermilk chocolate cake. It's sweeted with maple syrup so there's no refined sugar, and it can be made with carob powder too. Very tasty!
#3 of 10 Old 01-16-2002, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Oooh...that cake sound good. I'd love the recipe if it isn't too much of a hassle for you to post it. I've been a little stressed about a cake for him, but that sounds like a healthy solution!

Thanks for sharing that idea! I had forgotten that we did that with all of my sisters and on my first birthday. Definitely something we should do with ds! I'll be standing by with camera in hand!
#4 of 10 Old 01-16-2002, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I would LOVE to get into Birthday Traditions...

I haven't done anything with Owen's birthdays besides have a family party each year, but that article in this months Mothering Mag about Birthday Garland got my mind-a-thinkin!!!

I think that's so sweet!

So, Caleb is turning 1 in 2 months, and I'm going to do it! I'll figure out a way to post a pic on here when I do, so y'all can see...

Looking forward to getting more ideas from all you lovely creative ladies!

Love,
Emily

#5 of 10 Old 01-16-2002, 04:42 PM

We have a hand crank ice-cream maker and homemade ice cream is our favorite birthday traditions- for everybody.
#6 of 10 Old 01-16-2002, 05:22 PM

Our children get to pick out the entire dinner menu on their birthday and all eight of must be there unless you have a note from your DR. LOL!

Of course most one year olds would just prefer "mama" for dinner!

peggy
#7 of 10 Old 01-16-2002, 05:24 PM

We do home-made cakes from scratch for our birthdays. Carrot Cake was fun (dd was three and could help more with the shredding, etc), but the banana cake is definately my ds favorite, he loves mashing the bananas. Also for ds #2 birthday, I made cupcakes instead of a big cake, decorated some of them to make a catapillar and then had a "painting station" at the party for the kids to decorate their own cakes. That was a big hit!

~diana google me: hahamommy. Unschooling Supermama to Hayden :Super Cool Girlfriend to Scotty . Former wife to Mitch & former mama to Hannahbear
#8 of 10 Old 01-16-2002, 09:43 PM

This comes from dh's family - birthday feet! When the birthday person is sleeping, others cut out paper footprints and make a path to the birthday presents or the birthday pancakes or whatever. Don't ask me where my MIL got this idea, it is a little weird, but one year before I had children, dh did this for me! Anyway, we do this for dd each year.

Actaully, I love the wooden birthday ring I saw in the Magic Cabin Dolls catalog, but it is so expensive! I'm thinking of making something like that. I also like the tradition of walking around a candle once for each year.
#9 of 10 Old 01-18-2002, 01:10 AM

Here's the recipie:

2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup buttermilk (vegan alternative: 1 cup soy milk and 1 tsp lemon juice)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup maple syrup
1 Tbsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 375. Mix flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder, and baking soda together in a bowl. Combine liquids separately, then stir into flour mixture. Pour into lightly oiled 8-inch cake pans. Bake 30 min.

The recipie comes from "Feeding the Whole Family", which I highly recommend to all parents. You can buy it at http://www.feedingfamily.com
#10 of 10 Old 01-18-2002, 04:02 PM

We do "Unbirthday" presents. Kinda like in Alice in Wonderland. Started by my dear mil, this is great if you have more than one child. Either the child, or you (when child is young), pick out small gifts for the people at the party that the child wraps. They are to be opened before the child's last present. That way it keeps the kids focused until the end of the gift giving, and is a great way for the birthday child to "think of others" even on his/her birthday. For the adults it could be a drawing the birthday child made, or a poem, or a picture of him/herself glued on a piece of paper and decorated...

Karen

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page