Parent rights and responsibilities - Maryland families especially - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-19-2006, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am the mom of 5 beautiful children and have been happily married for 19 years. Last year our family became the victim of a law in our state that allows judges to override decisions of fit parents as to how they choose to raise their children. This law forces families to submit their children to the company of persons that the parents feel are unacceptable. The reasoning is that the courts feel that they know better than a fit parent what is in the "best interests" of their children.

I'm speaking of the grandparent or third party visitation statutes that exist in every state. Controlling litigating "grandparents" use these laws to force themselves into families where their actions and behavior have made them unwelcome.

I am looking for parents who are interested in learning more to respond to this thread. I'd like to discuss this issue with you all and see if there is something we can do to help parents regain the right to parent without outside influence of the courts. For more stories of this type of legal abuse, please go to www.parentsrights.org

Maryland families, I have the ear of a state delegate. I need your voice added to mine to make this person see how important this issue is to the future of parents and families in Maryland. Contact me at parentinmd@yahoo.com .

Thanks!
#2 of 5 Old 04-19-2006, 12:22 PM

Welcome to MDC! Do a search- there was a thread a week or so back about grandparents rights that was discussing this.

The whole idea horrifies me.

-Angela
#3 of 5 Old 04-19-2006, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I posted there too. I'm looking especailly for Maryland families to hlep me change the legislation, so I posted a sepaarate thread. I hope that's OK...
#4 of 5 Old 04-19-2006, 01:10 PM

Just to cover your bases, I would also post in the "Finding Your Tribe" section that includes Maryland if you haven't yet.
#5 of 5 Old 04-19-2006, 05:51 PM

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page