Help me jump start my imagination - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-25-2003, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is just beginning to think imaginatively, and I feel so inept. Uh.... how does this part of my brain work? DD will whoosh any item in her hand as a plane and all I can say is, is your spoon a plane? Sometimes I can muster up the imagination to suggest that she is a little mouse eating a piece of cheese, but I really want to enjoy my imagination with dd. I feel like it is something that isn't going to come back easily, or should I just trust that mine will grow as her does? Do you have any suggestions on how to jump start it.
#2 of 4 Old 02-25-2003, 09:08 PM

<furrowing brow, scratching head>

I'm just not sure how to purposely jumpstart that. Just go with the flow, be goofy, ask questions. "Oh, that's your plane?" Yes. "What color is it?"/ "Where is it going?"/ "Is it very high?" Etc.

Today at lunch, my dd said out of nowhere, "I'm a little wolf!" We then had a whole conversation about where wolves live, what they eat, etc. (According to dd, they eat hamburgers and live in "wolf houses", which are like doghouses but for wolves. )
#3 of 4 Old 02-25-2003, 11:11 PM

It will come with hers. One thing that I have observed, both in my own interactions with my children and in watching other families is that it is important to avoid having your interesting, imaginative story overwhelm the imaginative activities of your child. Sometimes it is more important to sit back and relax.
#4 of 4 Old 02-26-2003, 02:08 PM

It's so nice to see that I'm not the only person that worries about this... and my dd is only 7 mos. I want to "get in touch with my inner child" better and be able to play with her as she gets older. I try and stay open to the moment and let her explore things that may not be "toys" but sometimes I feel like I could do a better job. I'd hate to think that dd would ever find me boring and unable to keep up imagination-wise.
I guess following your child's lead is the best advice for this. Relax and go with the flow.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page