Help! She won't let go-to a tooth!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-04-2003, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need some help! DD will be 6 this month She lost her first bottom tooth in late January and a few days later the other was hanging by a thread-AND STILL IS! this is over a month later. She is "afraid" to let it go but not sure why. The first jus tcame out-uneventful. This one is barely attached and possibly has a new tooth sprouting. The subject alone freaks DD out. It has caused herspeech toi become garbled and she is not eating well (tiny bites, side of her mouth, til she gives up, she is eating half what she normally eats). I plan to call the dentist but non-emergencies are about a month wait and they already dislike me so I doubt special treatment.

I promised her I would NOT take it out, this was done to me by my Dad when I was little after he promised not too. I have spoken to hernicely, even tried bribery-no luck. I am most concerned by its affects on her eating and weight.

Any ideas on convincing her to let the tooth go?
#2 of 7 Old 03-04-2003, 01:50 PM

I remember doing that once when I was a kid. I did it just to see what would happen. Once it got to the point that it was just hanging by a thread, it wasn't long before it fell out on its own. The tooth was loose enough that I could move it just by breathing, but I refused to yank it! It eventually fell out in my sleep one night and I woke up with the tooth in my hand.

As far as the new tooth growing in behind it - that's what makes the baby teeth loosen and fall out. They are pushed out by the new teeth.

It shouldn't be too much longer. I'm surprised its been hanging on for a month already! I don't know that the dentist would do anything other than yank it out or tell you to yank it.

I guess if your dd is having a hard time with regular foods, you could feed her softer stuff until the tooth finally gets old or she gets tired of it.

HTH!
#3 of 7 Old 03-04-2003, 10:29 PM

We went through this with dd1. I so feel for you! Hers was not really hanging by a thread but just about - she could push it to the back or the front til it was parallel to the ground (does that make sense?) Like your dd, it was greatly affecting what and how much she could eat. And it hurt her to eat. So three times a day at meals (plus snacks on top of that) there would be tears and great sadness due to the pain it caused. I (like you) was worried about her weight after a while as she is a skinny minnie to start with.
I am not as AP as some (though would not pull it out without her being ready and OKing it) but it had to go. It was affecting her life (and our lives!) too much. I told her she had three choices - she could pull it out, I could pull it out, or the dentist could pull it out. She had me do it. It took a couple of tries but it did come out pretty easily. I called the dentist and they told me how to do it. Trick is you put a paper towel around it (it is too slick to just use your fingers) and kind of twist as you pull up. It did bleed but did not seem to hurt her. She was actually very excited when it came out.
Second tooth - same deal but she chose to pull that one out. I give her a week or two now (of all the hullabulloo) then she has to make the choice of who pulls it if it doesn't come out on its' own.
Bigger teeth coming in will not neccessarily cause the baby tooth to fall out! A good friend just had to have her 7 year olds baby teeth pulled as four or five of the permanent teeth had all come in behind the baby teeth. Her dd had baby teeth that had been loose for over a year! Not coming out alone... I would rather pull a stubborn loose tooth than deal with the orthodontia issues that leaving them may cause. (Though with my history, she will have braces anyway!)
Kirsten
#4 of 7 Old 03-04-2003, 11:23 PM

I can't believe you posted this! I am at my wits end as to what to do with dd....she has already lost her two bottom front teeth, one came out on it's own after hanging for about a week....second one I pulled out at dds request. Now her two top teeth are very loose and hanging way down...she actually looks goofy with them like this....which isn't our issue of course...but it hangs so low it has effected her smile,laugh.speech(which already isn't that great) and eating....just tonight she avoided dinner! And I served soup!

She won't even let us look at it,she refuses to even wiggle it, and of course she goes psycho if I suggest me pulling it. I've threatened to have it pulled at the dentist figurinbg that would convince her to let me pull it! Nope!

A good friend told me of someone she knew whose kid lost his tooth in his sleep, and they never did find it! Ugh! I am fearful that she will choke on it at night now!

I think I might do what Kirsten did-give dd the same 3 choices....

Anyway..thanks for posting this...and Goodluck with your dd!!!!!!!

mamapoppins
#5 of 7 Old 03-05-2003, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

OMG Mamapoppins, do we have the same DD?!?! She will not let us see it either, and I had given her the same 3 choices-she hid until it was time for school. Tonight she only ate my overcooked broccolli for dinner, slowly and on the side. If I mention it while eating, she stops. She is due for the dentist and I am sure she will let him take it out, but getting an appointment is the issue, I shall call tomorrow!

BTW, I still have baby teeth but with none underneath. One was actually pulled a little over a week ago (decay) and this sight traumatized her more.
#6 of 7 Old 03-19-2003, 04:57 PM

The pediodontist(sp?) we contacted said to try ora-gel!!! IT WORKED!!!!!
I put it on the gum in front and behind the loose tooth..pulled with a dry washcloth..and it came out!
Dd said it didn't hurt either! It has also allowed her to work at wiggling the other one!!

Funny thing is...we never have used ora-gel for teething!!

Still off to the dentist this Friday for a checkup!!!!

mamapoppins
#7 of 7 Old 03-19-2003, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

I meant to update myself! Friday DD went to the Dentist and in about 2 seconds it was out! She was so proud and has LITERALLY not stopped smiling since!! She shows her mouth off to EVERYONE and was shocked it doesn't hurt. What a change in attitude!

So by keeping my word and taking her to the Dentist (thankfully we have full dental for her-no charge!) she has trust and realizes she was being silly! She said it was the best day ever!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page