making moving easier for kids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-04-2006, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have any advice or experience moving with kids that you could share? We are going to put our house up for sale soon, after we make some repairs, and I am not sure what would be best for dd. We actually have to move in two stages. First, we have to pack up all the clutter and send it to a storage facility in the town we are moving to so that our house will look better to potential buyers. This will mean packing up a lot of dd's toys. I am thinking it would just be best to do this while she is away from the house for a few hours. I think if I try to get her involved it will just be too frustrating and scary for her. I am not sure she would understand. She won't even share her toys yet; how is she going to be able to say goodbye to them for a few months?

Also, when the actual moving day comes, I am again, thinking it would be best to send her away for a few hours. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Kathy
#2 of 6 Old 06-04-2006, 01:21 AM

We moved to our house when our ds was 2. We also packed up alot of things for storage to make the house easier to sell ( it really works btw we sold for a huge profit in 3 days! ) and that meant some toys.

What we did was keep out the things that he really loved and made a place that we could stash them when ppl came to look at the house. He didn't even know things were gone, so I agree to get her out of the house when you do that part.

As for the moving. We just told him that we were going to a new house and he would have a bigger yard with more room to run. That all of his favorite things would be there. Of couse it helps that he slept with us, I think it might be more scary for kids that sleep alone in their own rooms, kwim? He also helped us to unpack his things and put them away. Plus we decorated a new "room" for him, which makes me laugh he is now 8 and sleeping in my bed right now. He only uses his room when he has a sleepover :

I think she will be ok as long as you let her know what is going on, talk about how exciting and fun it's going to be and let her be a part of the unpacking and things like that. I hope that is a help to you. How old is she?

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#3 of 6 Old 06-04-2006, 01:28 AM

How old is your dd? I've moved several times with my ds. When he was 1.5, 3 and 5. I did end up packing most of his things when he was asleep or away. I did spend a lot of time talking with him, especially with the lst move about what would stay and what would go. "All your toys will be in the new house, the couch we cuddle on will come with us, the toilet and bath tub will stay but there will be new ones at the new house" that sort of thing. I also let him help me pack some of the other household things so he could feel involved and helped him put together a suitcase of things he wanted to have during the move that would stay with us and not go into the moving van. When we got to the new house, his room was the first thing I set up.

Is is possible for you dd to see your new house before you move. She might feel better if she knows what to expect.

Right after the move, my ds found it comforting to be told that our old house was still there. That it haddn't just vanished or anything.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#4 of 6 Old 06-04-2006, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

She is 3 and she does cosleep, so that will be good. I am not so worried about the actual move (maybe I should be) but the packing. I am hoping my mom and dad will come to help when we sell the house but the prepacking is going to be the big job for me, staying at home and all. I am going to be packing all the clutter to get ready for putting the house on the market.
#5 of 6 Old 06-05-2006, 01:12 PM

We just moved across the country, my kids were 2 and 4.5 years old. First we had to "stage" the house so everything was packed up. I kept out some toys for them that could fit into a storage bin and kept that in their bedroom closet. It was the end of summer so we were out at playgrounds, biking, sidewalk chalk and play doh, pool or with neighbor kids. It's good to do some crafts, coloring, painting, cutting, pasting, and even baking cookies or helping in the kitchen. And we did weekly trips to the library (I had an excellent library near our last home).

My husband relocated a month before us, I was the one doing all the packing, removal of junk and cleaning. I'd like to never do that again! Way too much for one person.

My girls watched a heck of a lot more movies/tv and pc games than I liked but I had to keep them busy while I packed.

We also did a few trips to the toy store to pick out a new toys since they were so good about it all.

You'll manage, and you'll be happy when it's all done! One thing I wish I did was pack a few presents for myself so when I unpacked there were a few nice surprises for me and not just the same ole stuff ;-)

Been quietly hanging around here for over 10 years.  

#6 of 6 Old 06-05-2006, 05:27 PM

I have not yet moved with my little ones, but I do recall our move when I was four and my sister two. We stayed at Nana's for a week, then my parents came and got us and took us to the new house....

They had a surprise for us...a nice big wooden swingset/slide/castle thingy in the back yard, and our separate bedrooms set up with new furniture. I remember being absolutely thrilled

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page