What do your kids call their grandparents - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 03-09-2003, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok so for grandparents ds has on my side my mother and father, my mother's mother who is pretty senile and doesn't even know who I am, let alone my kids. On dh's side there is dh's mom and step father, dh's mom's mom and dh's father. My mother is Grandma Maggie and my father is Papa Jim. I always called my grandmother Gram or Grandma Crisci. Dh's grandmother is Granny and MIL and her husband are Mamaw and Papaw. Dh's father also wants to be called Papaw. And here is the problem. Ds rarely sees dh's father even though he only lives 1 1/2 hours away. He sees MIL and FIL pretty often so he knows them very well. But whenever dh's father comes to visit he calls himself Papaw, which really confuses ds. Ds actually starts looking around for his real Papaw and often starts crying. I don't want to hurt dh's father's feelings, even though I don't particularly care for him. I have tried a few times to call him Grandpa Dave but he hasn't taken to it yet. So what do I do? Continue to let my ds be confused and upset until he is old enough to realize that he can have 2 papaws or say something to dh's father next time he decides to grace us with his presence again?
#2 of 19 Old 03-09-2003, 10:27 PM

My kids call all grandparents and great-grandparents "Grandma/Grandpa first name" as in "Grandma Kate" or "Grandpa Steve". Since my kids are fortunate enough to have several great-grandparents, and dh has a mom, dad, and stepmom, it keeps everyone straight. Also, I think they all appreciate each having their very own name, not sharing just plain "grandpa" with anyone else.
#3 of 19 Old 03-09-2003, 10:37 PM

Dh's parents are Grandma and Papa, my parents are Grandpa and Tutu (my mom lives in Hawai'i). I used to call my great grandma GG and V calls her great grandma Grandma Great.

Jesse
#4 of 19 Old 03-09-2003, 10:46 PM

Maybe call them both pawpaw but w/the addition of their first names - for instance my mom is Gma Rose and dh's mom is Gma Paula.

So Pawpaw Dave and just have dh explain to his dad why it's important to add the name b/c otherwise it upsets ds.

HTH

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#5 of 19 Old 03-09-2003, 11:41 PM

we use grandma and grandpa.

however, my MIL seems to dislike grandma. TOO Bad for her. She lives several states away and does'nt bother to call....so she is lucky she is even named anything at all

sorry, did i just rant and rave
#6 of 19 Old 03-09-2003, 11:45 PM

my parents are "nana" and "grand-daddy" and my husbands parents are "grandma terri" and "grand-dad"
#7 of 19 Old 03-10-2003, 09:11 AM

Jamie's parents are Nan and Grampy.

We had intended for my kids to call my parents Grandmama and Granddaddy. However, the "grand" part was just too cumbersome for Ani and she added an "s" onto the end and calls them Mommis and Daddies.
#8 of 19 Old 03-10-2003, 10:28 AM

mY PARENTS ARE grANDMA AND gRANDPA. MY gRANDMA IS "bIG gRANDMA" B/C ME, dd, AND MY mOM (gRANDMA) SHARE THE SAME NAME AND WE OFTEN SAY BIG SHO, LITTLE SHO, BABY SHO. sO dd ASSUMED gRANDMA'S mOM HAD TO BE "bIG gRANDMA"!

My caps lock button is messed up, sorry, it is going on and off on it's own-please forgive as I retyped that twice...

Looks fixed now-anyway, the ycall Dh's parents "Daddys Mom and Daddys Dad" The ycall their stepgrandparents nothing. Kinda fits his familiesunloving attitude!
#9 of 19 Old 03-10-2003, 11:12 AM

My mom is Nony, a name she carefully picked out for herself while I was pregnant with my first baby. My dad is granddad.

DH has 2 sets of parents. His mom and stepdad are Grammie and Grampa. His father and stepmom are Grampy and Grandma. I met my DH whan my first DS was 6, and it took a while for both of us to remember who to call what :

Kristina; wife to Max, Mom to Tristan (17) and Zackariah (7) and Lillian (5)
#10 of 19 Old 03-10-2003, 12:24 PM

My girls have a bunch of grandparents... this is what they call them all:

My parents: Oma & Opa

ExDh's parents: Papa and Grandma

ExDh's grandparents: Great-Papa LastName & Great-Grandma LastName (they have 2 great grandmothers and one great grandpa alive on his side)

Dh's parents: Nana and Papa

Dh's grandparents: Granny & Grampy, and Grandpa and Grandma LastName

Whew.

They don't get confused really by having more than one Papa or Grandma etc, it all sorts itself out
#11 of 19 Old 03-10-2003, 01:40 PM
Banned

Maeve calls my Mom "Grandmum", and her husband (my step father) is Jim.

She calls my father "Mr. Bill", which is really odd but that's what he wanted so, ok....she calls my step mother "Grand-mère"

She calls her father's father "Grandfather", her grandmother on that side "has gone to be a faerie on a rainbow".

She has an adopted grandmother type person, my best friend's mother, whom she calls "Nana".

I called my grandparents "Nana and Papa".
#12 of 19 Old 03-10-2003, 01:47 PM

Oma and Papa for DH's mom and stepdad.

Grandma _____(first name) for DH's stepmom.

Papa ____(last name) for my dad.

Nana for my stepmother (that's what her bioloical grandkids call her, but lately they've been signing cards with "Grandma _____(first name), so hm...

My mom and DH's dad are dead, so we refer to them as Grandma ____(first name) and Grandpa _____(first name).
#13 of 19 Old 03-10-2003, 02:21 PM

Our parents have insisted that each have a unique name.

My dad: Grandbaba
My mom: Grandma
My grandmother: Nona
DH's mom & stepdad: Omi & Pap
DH's dad & stepmom: Poppyseed and Grammy
DH's grandparents: Mom-mom and Pop (what everyone calls them anyway)

I expect this will all be confusing to my DS when he's old enough to call them anything. I would much prefer "Grandma Margo" and so on, but the folks have to be so particular! Luckily we don't see them often so it probably won't be much of an issue.
#14 of 19 Old 03-10-2003, 08:18 PM

Dd calls my dad Grandpa and his wife is her first name since it's not my mother. I don't consider her a stepmother because she's practically my age and they just got married recently. My mom is not our lives so she's not called anything.

Dh's parents are from Tamil Nadu, India and are called the traditional "Paati" for Grandma, and "Thatha" for Grandpa. The only thing is is dd is confused about Paati vs. Potty. lol!

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#15 of 19 Old 03-10-2003, 08:30 PM

We have a lot of grandparents here too (I believe they have 9 grandma's of some degree (one is a great great)).
Most are just grandma/grandpa and thier name, these have chosen these names.

My stepmom- Grammy
My grandma- Granny

Dh's mom- Nana,
Dh's dad/stepmom- Papaw, Grandmother:
#16 of 19 Old 03-11-2003, 12:15 AM

For the longest time DH parents were:

Grandpa and Grandpa :LOL (he can say GRANDMA now)

My dad is Granddad

Chelly
#17 of 19 Old 03-11-2003, 08:28 PM

I have only one grandparent and that is my mother's mom. I have alway's called her Grandmommy and ever since I was 11 I have HATED it. I do not use that name anymore except when I am speaking to my mother. I refer to her as my grandmother when talking about her with anyone else, and I don't address her at all when I see her.

I explained this to my mother, that I don't want dd to call her Grandmommy, but she hates Grandma and none of my alternatives inspired her, so so far she is refering to herself as Grandmommy. I am hoping that dd will come up with something. Thus far it has been Damma, but my mom doesn't seem taken with that one either.

My neice and nephew call my grandmother Greatma. I don't particularly care for that one either.
#18 of 19 Old 03-11-2003, 11:04 PM

double post
#19 of 19 Old 03-11-2003, 11:12 PM

Trish we went thru the same dilemma with my mil wanting to call her dh Poppa for the grandkids and my DS calls my DH poppa. So we right away did what you did and started caling mil's dh Grandpa Bob and not Poppa...they just kinda of took it and knew we would not bend on that one...He is your child do what you need to do.....
My dh's mom is Nana and his dad is GrandDad
My mom is Mam-mal
My grandparents are Great Grandma/pa
I like the idea of using first names with grandparents..we have always used the last name.... (except for mils dh..wonder why we did that?...lol...)but the first name thing makes more sense.....thanks you guys for sharing!

Free To Be~
Traci
"Living is learning and when kids are living fully and energetically and happily they are learning a lot, even if we don't always know what it is."
~John Holt 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page