Are you taking your child to a candlelight vigil for World Peace - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-14-2003, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
Liz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am considering taking my almost 3 year old son to a candle light vigil for world peace this Sunday night but I really don't know how I would explain it to him. We have never touched on any of these topics before. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2003, 06:00 PM

Liz-
I am taking my dd to the vigil, but as she is 5 mo. the meaning is not yet an issue.
However, as a preschool teacher, I have had to deal with these types of explanations before (like after 9-11). What we would do in school is hold hands in a cicle and i would explain how we need to send our love all over the world and to Mother Earth to help people to be kind to each other, just like we are wiyh our friends. you could get more specific with exactly who needs to be kind, or instead say that the love is for people to stop hurting each other, etc.
good luck with the conversation, I think its important for kids to experience things like th vigil.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:46 PM
Banned

Hi
DD is only 13 months but she's been going to demonstrations since she was 4 months. I am an animal rights activist. She does great.

I will be taking her to the candle light vigil Sunday night with some other people and probably another baby or two.

I think you can definitely talk ot your 3 year old about peace. Keep it simple and just tell him/her that you feel it is very important that people be kind and gentle to each other and not hurt each other.
Old 03-14-2003, 07:13 PM

Our children have been attending rallies their entire lives. I can't remember ever sitting down and explaining what we were doing. They just knew becasue it is how the lived at what was around them. My dd who is nine easily stated what and how she feels on a banner I helped her make the other day.

" War is for people who would rather hit than hug"

I think telling a child something as simple as that may be enough. Then as the child becomes older they will be able to absorb information on their own and develop theri own reasons for being anti war.

Ds who is 18 has been somewhat anti government for ahile. He is opposed to this was on many different grounds

DD1 who is now 16 is anti war mainly because she is so concerend for the children and young people of Iraq

DD2 is feels the USA should not play the role of "government of the world" she wants the UN to be able to do their work with out worring about the US leading an attack on a nation with out a strong military

DD3 just thinks its "mean and sad"

I have let the kids develop their own opposition and I just "beam" as a mama when I hear them argue their
point and their words are all their own.

Maybe explaining to your son that Iraq is very far away and their is a man there named Saddam Hussien who most likely is not a very kind man. The USA thinks this man should leave or be taken away. And maybe he does but the really bad thing is that in trying to get him away little children like you and your friends could be hurt or worse. And mommies and daddies and grandmas and grandpas could also be hurt. And that is very sad. That is why we are going to light a candle and stand with a lot of other people who are doing the same thing. Because we think there may be a better way to get rid of this man. A way that doesn't hurt anyone.

It is wonderful you are goingto let your ds light a candle and stand with otehr saround the world.

Blessings to you,

Granolamom
Old 03-14-2003, 07:17 PM

We've kept in very simple with our 3 year old who has been going to demos since she was a baby. This year at Take Back the Night I told her that we were marching because hurting people isn't ok. Same with peace march a few weeks ago. On our way to the march she told her friend who was with us we were going because "we don't hit our friends." I think she can only hear it in relation to her own life, and that's fine with me! Good luck
Old 03-14-2003, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
Liz

Mamajenn - your daughter summed it up beautifully, I will quote her verbatim!

Peace
Old 03-15-2003, 01:01 AM

This will be my dd's first demonstration and I'm so happy to have found one in my area, which is generally rather conservative.

I think I will keep it very, very simple... just, "we are telling the world that we want peace." If she asks questions, I'll answer them, as simply as I can.

User Tag List