Carseat Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 03-14-2003, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We drive a Subaru Outback which we fit our two dd's carseats into. My question is are there those of you out there who drive station wagons that can fit 3 carseats across your backseat? I don't think we can. We did not even think about this when we bought the car but now that my older daughter is starting to have playdates, we are faced with this transportation issue. Any suggestions or ideas???? I really love this car and don't really want to get a different one, but I also want to be able to accommodate friends.
#2 of 18 Old 03-14-2003, 06:56 PM

A friend of mine has three kids, and they were determined to stick with a station wagon. According to her, the Volvo wagon is the only wagon out there that is wide enough to accomodate three carseats.

~ Meredith, mom to dd(Jan '02), ds1(May '04) and ds2 (June '07) ~ :
#3 of 18 Old 03-14-2003, 07:05 PM

We have an Audi Allroad and it will fit three. It's a pain in the butt with the way they placed the seat belt holders (for lack of a better word) but they will fit. Awesome car!
#4 of 18 Old 03-14-2003, 07:15 PM

i'm sorry, i dont have a station wagon, and i wasnt sure what you were asking, but fyi...( for someone looking for an affordable smaller car) I have a 97 saturn (lower end model) and it fits 3 car seats across the back seat...and the trunk is so big, I have fit one of those saucers and stroller, plus bags in it at the same time.

i was looking at wagons, but couldnt afford one, so we 'settled' for the regular car, but are soooo happy with its 'hidden' size.

:sinister :sinister :sinister :sinister
#5 of 18 Old 03-14-2003, 07:30 PM

I heard the same thing from a friend who just had twins and has a 2 year old. Only the high end wagons really fit 3 seats across. Some lower end ones will hold 3 infant seats but not toddlers. She tested Saab, Audi, Mercedes and Volvo. She ended up opting out of all of those because of the price. Instead she bought a Chrysler MiniVan She saved alot of $$ and can fit the dog and all the accrutements you need. She found the wagons barely could hold the extra wide stroller, the extra large diaper bag she needs etc, etc. Even when she wear one or 2 of the babies she still needs the big stroller and the diaper bag......

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#6 of 18 Old 03-14-2003, 07:37 PM

I carpool with three preschoolers and one of the moms has a Volvo wagon, and she can fit three carseats - but two of the seats are carseat/boosters, which are a bit narrower than regular car seats.

The two outside ones are definitely a little closer to the door than we would like, and we have to make sure the kids' hands are oout of the way when we shut the doors, but they do fit.
#7 of 18 Old 03-14-2003, 11:13 PM

I have a Honda Accord that fits three car seats in the back.
#8 of 18 Old 03-15-2003, 11:51 AM

I have a Toyota Camry that fits three, and it know it is hard to find a car that does. I have been so happy mine does, especially since we didnt plan that when we bought it
#9 of 18 Old 03-15-2003, 01:23 PM

We don't have a car, but my mom does... she has a Neon and we used to fit 3 carseats across the back -- 1 carseat (i.e. for under 40 lbs) and 2 booster seats. We also used to fit 2 carseats & 1 booster. Now I just have 2 in booster seats & oldest dd sits in the middle.
#10 of 18 Old 03-16-2003, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You just have to have narrow carseats. I had a subaru outback until last year and I could fit 3 Graco Treasured Cargo carseats across the back.

-Heather

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#11 of 18 Old 03-16-2003, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

thanks you guys for all the comments
#12 of 18 Old 03-17-2003, 03:57 AM

We've fit 3 carseats in our 95 Subaru Legacy (a bit smaller than the Outback, I believe). It is tight but can work.
#13 of 18 Old 03-17-2003, 04:28 PM

We have a 95 Subaru Impreza. It's DH's car, so we don't often have all 3 of our kids in it. But we sometimes do. It it tight, but it is doable. We have 2 Britax Roundabouts and a Cosco Eddie Bauer high-back booster.
#14 of 18 Old 03-18-2003, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mere
According to her, the Volvo wagon is the only wagon out there that is wide enough to accomodate three carseats.
i just want to say i dont have a station wagon. i have a little VW golf and i can fit 3 seats across hte back. while my car isnt a station wagon, it is the same measurements as the jetta wagon (except in length) so im sure 3 could fit in a jetta wagon.
#15 of 18 Old 03-18-2003, 03:49 PM

Quote:
According to her, the Volvo wagon is the only wagon out there that is wide enough to accomodate three carseats.
i just want to say i dont have a station wagon. i have a little VW golf and i can fit 3 seats across hte back. while my car isnt a station wagon, it is the same measurements as the jetta wagon (except in length) so im sure 3 could fit in a jetta wagon.
#16 of 18 Old 03-18-2003, 03:49 PM

Quote:
#17 of 18 Old 03-18-2003, 03:50 PM

Quote:
#18 of 18 Old 03-18-2003, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

It must be the type of car seats we have, well, one booster seat and one car seat. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions
Jessie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page