Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From family members:
" put a stop to him (age 2) touching himself or it will damage him"
" make sure you cover yourself when breastfeeding.No one wants to see that"
"when he bites you during breastfeeding, pinch his ear and he will stop"
"If he bites you, bite him back so he will learn. Same with hitting."
" if you really want to get some housework done, just set him in front of the TV."
"when he starts teething, put some whiskey on his gums to numb the pain"
"why are you still breastfeeding? He is old enough now for a bottle. (7months). The formula has more nutrients anyways."

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 89 Old 07-29-2006, 03:04 PM

There was the wean-when-pregnant one, from my OB (my mom is the lactation consultant at her hospital, she bombarded her with literature and the OB backed off...for ME, but still gives the same advice).

There was the doctor who pushed the "herd immunity" myth re: not getting the Hep B shot at birth (WTF?)

Hasn't happened to me, but a friend I know had it suggested to her that her 3 week old baby was intentionally misbehaving when he cried, and he should be spanked a la the Pearls. :vomit

My mother-in-law just can't believe I wouldn't give my kids water in bottles while they were EBF. Wouldn't they get *gasp* too FAT? They were, BTW, always normal or slightly low BMI and are pretty slender now.

"But he's so big, how can you know that your milk is enough?" from my gMIL. She was pushing me to supplement with formula, because of course, even though my milk grew him that big, it couldn't possibly be ENOUGH...right?

"But she's so small, how can you know your milk is enough?" from same gMIL about the next child. You think she'd learn eh?

Basically, it seems like the solution to everything is "give him some formula!" Which completely, totally SUCKS. There needs to be at least one person saying "nurse him as often as he wants!" for every "give him some formula!". Doctors count for at least two.

Gotta love the "don't pick them up" advice. They aren't television sets, you don't turn babies off when they are inconvenient. Why can't people recommend nice easy ways to carry babies around, instead of pushing you always to get rid of them?

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#63 of 89 Old 07-29-2006, 04:15 PM

From dd's former pediatrician:
"You don't need to brush a child's teeth at all until age three."

From the nurse at the same pediatrician's office:
"You shouldn't be breastfeeding your daughter [who was 9 months old at the time] because you are vegetarian and your breastmilk is inadequate. Formula is nutritionally superior for children of vegetarians."

That second one was the final straw that had us change peds.
#64 of 89 Old 07-29-2006, 04:21 PM

My MIL told me that breastfeeding my son would give him leukemia. :
#65 of 89 Old 07-29-2006, 04:27 PM

I think the worst advice I've gotten was from a nurse. She told me that if you didn't circ that you HAD to make sure that you "retract the foreskin and clean the head of the glans" :
I informed her that the head WAS the glans, and told her that no, actually that causes more problems as the foreskin is adhered to the glans like your fingenail is attached to your finger.

I sure hope she listened to me!
#66 of 89 Old 07-29-2006, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't have any, because I never discuss my parenting with my doctor (I only use a family physician, not a ped).

But, I do have to wonder at all this "only using the breast as a pacifier" stuff. My comment is...."SO WHAT". If my baby is getting comfort, in addition to nutrition, by nursing, what's wrong with her/him getting that comfort? I'm sure that babies sometimes "comfort nurse". I just don't see what the problem with that is...

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#67 of 89 Old 07-29-2006, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenenlightened
Why do so many people find "don't look" to be so far beyond their mental capabilities???

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#68 of 89 Old 07-30-2006, 07:37 PM

I heard the old standby of rice cereal in the bottle (followed by a smug smile and a comment about me being a first-time mom when I refused).

My mom insisted that DS must be a midget when his weight gain levelled out at 8 months.

I know there are more...

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#69 of 89 Old 07-30-2006, 08:38 PM

I had a pretty good ped when DS was a newborn. His only advice to us when we stood there with our 10 day old baby, completely clueless was...

Nothing but breastmilk for the first 6 months.
Read to him everyday.
Don't listen to your mother.
#70 of 89 Old 07-30-2006, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess
I had a pretty good ped when DS was a newborn. His only advice to us when we stood there with our 10 day old baby, completely clueless was...

Read to him everyday.
I want your ped!
#71 of 89 Old 07-30-2006, 10:22 PM

"What are you doing? You can't let him keep napping on you, it's not normal!"

*sigh*

This was from someone on my meager support system. And I was calling because I just needed to freakin' vent about not getting lunch that day.

An introvert and ain't ashamed of it!  love.gif
#72 of 89 Old 07-30-2006, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess

Read to him everyday.
That is F*in' awesome!
#73 of 89 Old 07-30-2006, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzensclan
My MIL told me that breastfeeding my son would give him leukemia. :
What the...????

I seriously want to hear the logic that lead to that conclusion. Could you ask her and report back?
#74 of 89 Old 08-01-2006, 03:29 AM

That eczema was completely hereditary and not related to allergies in foods - "here put this cancer causing poison, i.e. elidel, on your son's skin to make it go away."

The baby in the other room at night is also classic. Must admit I thought that too until my son was born then I realized it was STUPID. Don't know why anybody else can look at a completely helpless newborn and think "here, make me happy and go lay by yourself for the next 8 hours."
#75 of 89 Old 08-01-2006, 04:19 AM

My partner's grandma told him how her first daughter (his mom) "cried so much at night when she was first born, we had to move her crib to the other end of the house and shut the door so we could sleep!" This story is particularly weird to me because it's like, they were planning on letting her stay with them (contrary to the style at the time), but then...she cried. Who'd have thunk it? A crying newborn? Weird.

It makes me wonder if some people just don't *have* parenting instincts. Like the occassional rabbit that eats its young, you know? How out of touch would you have to be before you found a newborn crying at night to be a weird, wacky situation worthy of bemused anecdotes, and decided the natural remedy would be to blockade yourself on the other end of the house???
#76 of 89 Old 08-01-2006, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*SugarMama*~
Our first ped with DD advised me to quit nursing her at 12 months. Why? Because BM holds absolutely no nutritional value after that age and I would be scarring her for life by "abusing her" by "forcing her on the breast".
My sister's ped told her she might as well wean at THREE MONTHS (which she did) because there were no benefits to bfing longer than that.

BTW, our ped is awesome (in many ways). We had 8 weeks of *horrific* bfing problems, and she never once suggested supplementing (I brought it up myself at around 8 weeks, but didn't actually do it).
#77 of 89 Old 08-01-2006, 09:40 AM

I haven't read through this thread yet so I don't know if this has been mentioned but there is a similar thread here which also might help you.
#78 of 89 Old 08-01-2006, 05:29 PM

On a mainstream board I visit said by her obgyn

You have to stop nursing your ds (can't remember how old, but not even a year yet) otherwise there won't be enough nutrients left over for the fetus.
#79 of 89 Old 08-01-2006, 07:24 PM

My jaw dropped a little bit lower after each quote...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenenlightened
From family members:
" put a stop to him (age 2) touching himself or it will damage him"
"when he bites you during breastfeeding, pinch his ear and he will stop"
"If he bites you, bite him back so he will learn. Same with hitting."
" if you really want to get some housework done, just set him in front of the TV."
"when he starts teething, put some whiskey on his gums to numb the pain"
"why are you still breastfeeding? He is old enough now for a bottle. (7months). The formula has more nutrients anyways."
#80 of 89 Old 08-01-2006, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A
From a physician: That my breastfed 2 mo. was "too fat" and needed to be given water instead and not fed as often. (I ignored that advice, obviously)
I was given this exact same advice when my son was 3 months old. The pediatrician told me to only feed every four hours and give him a bottle of water if he was hungry in between.

My son is 10 now and thin as a rail.
#81 of 89 Old 08-02-2006, 01:37 AM

Our family doc is actually pretty good on most of these things but when DD was just a couple of weeks old I was pretty sure she had a food allergy. She was spitting EVERYTHING back up, rash, etc. She really had like four classic symptoms of food sensitivies. Our doc. told me at the 2 week visit that she as fine unless she was "projectile vomiting" and not to worry. I called again at 4 weeks because it was such a problem. At the 6 week visit she was still vomiting, rashey, etc. and he still blew it off as "worrying too much, sometimes too much knowledge is a bad thing." To this day I have to love DD for what happened next, she turned and puked (not on him unfortunatly) but all over the place. Doc said, "Oh, yeah, that is alot. I guess maybe she does. Cut out milk first." Luckily, it was dairy and we were fine but he neglected to tell me anything of importance and I had to research it all myself. It really annoys me when docs don't trust a parents intuition that something is wrong.

The other was at the 9 month visit when he said that I would "have to put her down eventually" and should "really stop slinging soon."

We have been very fortunate that our parents are very supportive of our choices. So no bad advice there

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#82 of 89 Old 08-02-2006, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyavery
...she was still vomiting, rashey, etc. and he still blew it off as "worrying too much, sometimes too much knowledge is a bad thing."... she turned and puked (not on him unfortunatly) but all over the place. Doc said, "Oh, yeah, that is alot. I guess maybe she does. Cut out milk first."..
Jeez I hate it when docs do this.

My dd had severe asthma attacks at nighttime, but by the next morning when we dutifully scheduled our appointment and went in to the peds, of course they would be entirely gone and she'd look like a happy, healthy kid with a paranoid mom. In each case I described her symptoms perfectly (and I AM a doc), and for three straight visist got blown off.

Finally she ended up in the ER in the middle of the night, in respiratory failure.

Oh yeah, NOW she has asthma.
#83 of 89 Old 08-04-2006, 05:47 PM

Shame on me as I can't remember the book (Dr. Dobson's "Focus on the Family" pops out in my head but I could be wrong here). It suggested that SAHMs needed to better take care of their husbands (and breadwinners) in order to keep them faithful, and that they don't want to see exhausted wives when they come home, but would rather see us dressed up, with makeup, happy children, and a warm dinner. Published in the 1950's you ask...nope...only five or six years ago!
#84 of 89 Old 08-04-2006, 06:14 PM

An old man advised us to shave our daughter's head because the hair would grow in thicker. He also suggested we take a piece of cloth, dunk it in beer and give it to her instead of a pacifier. We decided against both.
#85 of 89 Old 08-05-2006, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by key_issue
An old man advised us to shave our daughter's head because the hair would grow in thicker. He also suggested we take a piece of cloth, dunk it in beer and give it to her instead of a pacifier. We decided against both.
I think the head shaving thing is very common in China, but I have no idea about the beer pacifier. Yikes!
#86 of 89 Old 08-05-2006, 03:07 AM

About a month or two ago a young guy that works in our local grocery store said the exact same thing to me. He said both his sisters shaved their dd's head and now it grows in thickly. I thanked him, but in my head I was thinking--if that were true, wouldn't all the guys who shave their heads never go bald?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkar
Shame on me as I can't remember the book (Dr. Dobson's "Focus on the Family" pops out in my head but I could be wrong here). It suggested that SAHMs needed to better take care of their husbands (and breadwinners) in order to keep them faithful, and that they don't want to see exhausted wives when they come home, but would rather see us dressed up, with makeup, happy children, and a warm dinner. Published in the 1950's you ask...nope...only five or six years ago!

VBAC mamma of two little Vikings
#87 of 89 Old 08-05-2006, 08:10 PM

My BIL graduated from Central Michigan University a few years ago with a 4 year degree (forgot what it was called) in nursing. He informed my brother that his professor had told him that "there is no real nutritional benefit to nursing after the first few weeks, but we encourage it as it helps with mother/infant bonding."

Now I know why nurses are telling us this crap...it's what they are taught. :Puke

My nurse after ds2's birth told me that when you breastfeed you are basically starving your baby for the first several days of his life. (She said while I was calling to ask why he was screaming bloody murder for hours...nothing was said about a possible reaction to the PERCOCET they prescribed me after my c-section.)
#88 of 89 Old 08-07-2006, 12:45 AM

Well, I have quite a few, but here are my favorites.

I declined the Hep B vaccine for my dd at her birth. My dd was born in the afternoon after a grueling 33 hour labor/homebirth transfer. I was awoken at 11:00 pm that night by a nurse and told that they couldn't find the results of my hep b test, and that if I couldn't provide the results in an hour they were going to vaccinate dd for hep b against my wishes. And, this is the part that gets me, she told me if we didn't vaccinate I'd have to be very careful with dd in public bathrooms because she could catch hep b from the counters When I told her that you contract hep b via blood/body fluid like you would contract AIDS she told me I was thinking of Hep C. I told her she was thinking of Hep A and there was no way in he** they were vaccinating my dd. She came back later and back-peddled a bit about how Hep B was contracted, but never apologized. I couldn't believe it! (oh, and they had "found" my negative hep b test results.)

The other was our ped who visited dd before we left the hospital. He told me that she was so huge (8 lbs 14 oz) that we would have to give her formula or she would be starving waiting for my milk to come in. I was so exhausted and overwhelmed by this point I let my dh and mom give her some formula when we got home because she was crying and they were sure she was starved. I still feel sick when I think of the wonderful colostrum she missed out on.
#89 of 89 Old 08-07-2006, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2zoe
Well, I have quite a few, but here are my favorites.

I declined the Hep B vaccine for my dd at her birth. My dd was born in the afternoon after a grueling 33 hour labor/homebirth transfer. I was awoken at 11:00 pm that night by a nurse and told that they couldn't find the results of my hep b test, and that if I couldn't provide the results in an hour they were going to vaccinate dd for hep b against my wishes. And, this is the part that gets me, she told me if we didn't vaccinate I'd have to be very careful with dd in public bathrooms because she could catch hep b from the counters When I told her that you contract hep b via blood/body fluid like you would contract AIDS she told me I was thinking of Hep C. I told her she was thinking of Hep A and there was no way in he** they were vaccinating my dd. She came back later and back-peddled a bit about how Hep B was contracted, but never apologized. I couldn't believe it! (oh, and they had "found" my negative hep b test results.)

The other was our ped who visited dd before we left the hospital. He told me that she was so huge (8 lbs 14 oz) that we would have to give her formula or she would be starving waiting for my milk to come in. I was so exhausted and overwhelmed by this point I let my dh and mom give her some formula when we got home because she was crying and they were sure she was starved. I still feel sick when I think of the wonderful colostrum she missed out on.

HUGe???? My daughter was 9lbs 5oz...wonder what they would have thought of that! :

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page