Visit from Sherrif's dept from Dept. family services!!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2006, 02:22 AM
 
Houdini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Searching for Jason Bourne
Posts: 3,339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a neighbor who blamed the removal of her kids on me and called CPS several times as well as the police.

CPS caseworkers came on three/four occasions to verify my crew were fine and to ask me questions. They also spoke with my kids on one of the visits.

I never had any issues with them and the file was always closed immediately. They did show up with no prior notice, but I never had any issues at all.

I am guessing LEO is Law Enforcement Officer. The caseworker always came alone. I never saw a LEO with her.

Rebecca wife of Megan...moms to six crazy kiddos! Seth (15), Madison (13), Zachary (12), Trevor (12), Alex (10), and Nicholas (9)
Houdini is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-28-2006, 02:23 AM
 
Tummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In her daddys eyes
Posts: 3,413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryPixie83
Thank you for posting that link, I just put it into the links section of my "crunchy_springfield" yahoo group. So sad that we need a resource like this.:
Pass it on pass it on!!!!

Print it out and hand it to your friends, family.. I have done this!!!.. with the help of a highliter of course

I think I am getting quite the 'post boost' in this thread.
Tummy is offline  
Old 07-28-2006, 02:26 AM
 
Tummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In her daddys eyes
Posts: 3,413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houdini
I never had any issues with them and the file was always closed immediately. They did show up with no prior notice, but I never had any issues at all.
Houdini,

I am glad to hear this!!!
So many other families are not as fortunate. My heart breaks for every mother/father who has ever had the dreaded knock at the door from this type of agency!

Just know your rights mamas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tummy is offline  
Old 07-28-2006, 02:33 AM
 
bobandjess99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Northern IN
Posts: 5,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tummy
I must disagree with this 100%.

CPS does not go to a home to do an investigation with out LEO, for their own protection.

CPS does not go to a home to do an investigation with a warrant.
There is no way any judge could hundreds of warrants just so a CPS investigator could come to your home and "talk to you, look around and take pictures"
I SO have to disagree with this. I don't work FOR CPS, but I'm a social worker, and work *with* cps sometimes and also My best friend was in CPS for the last 5 years (recently got out of it) and (at least here) they do MOST calls by themselves. They almost NEVER got a LEO to go with them, unless they DO have a warrant, and ARE going to do something drastic, like take the kids.
A routine "we got a call i have to investigate" type visit would be a SW alone, no LEO present, no warrant. So i agree with you there, usually, they do not have a warrant.
but again, i have to disagree about having LEO with them....it almost never happens here.

So, I'm not saying you are wrong, just that your information is not necesarily correct everywhere, because it's certainly not true here.

CPST
bobandjess99 is offline  
Old 07-28-2006, 03:09 AM
 
Tummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In her daddys eyes
Posts: 3,413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99

So, I'm not saying you are wrong, just that your information is not necesarily correct everywhere, because it's certainly not true here.
Agreed, I should have been more specific..

IN MY AREA...

I have never seen-heard of- a CPS investigation with out the aid of LEO.

In fact I have seen and heard of workers coming with multipul LEOs
Tummy is offline  
Old 07-29-2006, 06:56 PM
 
skybluepink02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think it depends on the area. If SW are going into a known high-crime area, then they will have a LEO with them. If they are going into the burbs, probably not. Also, they type of crime will probably influence it. If it's a crime about abuse, or extreme anger, or something like that, the will probably take a LEO.

Welcoming our twins :: born February 21, 2009 at 33 weeks! :
C-section due to pre-eclampsia and HELLP:
skybluepink02 is offline  
Old 07-29-2006, 07:01 PM
 
Attila the Honey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: swimming with sharks
Posts: 2,614
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree, it's very area specific. My aunt is a CPS caseworker and she is always complaining about the lack of LEO accompaniment for the 'scary' visits (ie, when visiting ppl she's had altercations with, or even when taking the kids). She works in a large city in upstate NY.

It probably has something to do with budgets or the relationship between law enforcement and CPS in each particular area.

flowersforyou.gif

Attila the Honey is offline  
Old 07-30-2006, 12:44 PM
 
LolaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sitting on my new Vatanai
Posts: 1,314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There seem to be a lot of moms having trouble with CPS around here and I am wondering is it for things that I think are "normal" like extended breastfeeding, not vaxing, co-sleeping? OR is it more things like disgruntled neighbors/MILs who want to interfere and control?

Just curious because I live in MA, a pretty liberal state, and I have never heard of this being a problem.
LolaK is offline  
Old 07-30-2006, 01:00 PM
 
alegna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 42,826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
USUALLY it seems to be a family member or known person who starts the mess. But it is sometimes a neighbor or dr.

-Angela
alegna is offline  
Old 07-30-2006, 02:35 PM
 
Anglyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: state of confusion
Posts: 2,246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First of all, to everyone: I work with kids with disabilites and/or developmental delays and in the course of that, I do work with families who also have CPS involved. Ive never known them to bring LEO's with them.But IM sure in some cases they might. And yes, Ive seen people lose thier kids over petty little things. A single mom who left her nine yr old and 16 yr old alone for a few hours between school being out and her getting home from work. "Lack of adequate supervision". Now, when I was 16 people paid me to babysit thier kids. Ive seen kids taken for SUSPICION of drugs, only going home months later after the parents PASSED seven or eight tests (CPS does not give up, once they take the kids, they want to prove they were right). ANd Ive seen toddlers with nightmares and kids acting out in foster care taken as "proof" of abuse when in fact, its proof of the grief and trauma they are going through having been ripped from thier parents.:

I suggested everyone read "Wounded Innocents" by Richard Wexlar. You will not believe the stories in there and you will see CPS as the enemy. I had a nephew get taken from my sister when he was three, because her infant died and she had a nervous breakdown and was hospitalized, so instead of therapy or anything, CPS swooped in and took her two older children, they let her mother (not mine, we are half sister, same dad) take her oldest, white child but put the three year old mixed boy in fostercare. When I called and BEGGED them to do a homestudy and let me take him, I was told no because he needed to be "with his own kind". So to this day, instead of family, he has remained in fostercare. If I had the money to fight the system I would have, but I didnt. I have a friend right now that CPS took her niece (for good reason) and placed with her, but now that they have terminated rights, they want to take the child from her and let someone else adopt. Her sister signed away her parental rights and no one ever told them that her sister could have signed her rights directly to my friend so that she would have the child and cps would HAVE to back out, because if you put your child with a responsible adult, then they are no longer consider in any danger and therefore not a cps case.

I know there are a lot of fosterparents out there who really have a heart for children and want to help them, but there are also those out there for their own reason and just as Ive seen loving fosterhomes (and yes, sometimes better than what kids who were really abused came out of), I have also kids removed for no good reason and placed with hateful people who treated them like crap and badmouthed thier parents in front of them. I saw a foster mom badmouth the parents the moment the cps worker dropped the two year old back off after a visit and proceed to take everything the mom had sent to the child and throw it in the trash.

Having read and seen what I have, I am TERRIFIED of CPS and they are the main reason I hide the fact that I am EBF and cosleeping.

Whew, sorry, ya'll shouldnt put that soapbox out there, I cant reisist it!!

NOw, to the OP: I would call the sherrifs dept back, because they were "probally" drug enforcement wouldnt be good enough for me. I want to know WHO came to my home and WHY....because even if family services takes leo's WITH them, where was family services? And you said you dont really have neighbors or visitors, so who called? I would just want to make sure it wasnt two guys posing as officers to scope out defensless women. Maybe they were just drug dealers looking for a methlab to raid for themselves? Who knows. But I would definately not feel safe until I verified for a fact it WAS the sherrifs dept. Just my two cents.

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
Anglyn is offline  
Old 07-30-2006, 02:47 PM
 
weetzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,882
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CPS is generally run county by county in bigger states, and by the state government in less populous states.

Different counties have different procedures for using law enforcement.
weetzie is offline  
Old 08-08-2006, 08:44 AM
 
meemee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Norther California
Posts: 12,623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
USUALLY it seems to be a family member or known person who starts the mess. But it is sometimes a neighbor or dr.

-Angela
sad but v. true. in my case it was my exh. in my friend's case it was her own mom. lucky for me i got a v. v. nice worker with whom i have stayed in touch. unlucky for my friend she not only got the worst worker, her kids were taken away. she got the worst foster parent and the worst medical doctor to try to save her premature baby girl and the worst lawyer to boot. luckily she got a v. good judge who was sympathetic to her case and helped get her children back.

 treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
meemee is offline  
Old 08-11-2006, 07:10 PM
 
CerridwenLorelei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: BIG SCARY TEXAS/World of Warcrack
Posts: 5,729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
them to WAIT while you call the sherriffs office and verify that the badge number is legit.
A legit officer will not take offense nor mind while you do that.
Just FYI.
I do that with officers and even repairmen.
Years ago there was a man impersonating an officer and he was doing not nice things to women including a state troopers wife
It took awhile to catch him.
I don't care who gets uppity or put out-I ask for the ID through the door eye and write down and ask them to WAIT while I call to verify they are legit.
SBC now sends out the same repairmen *every* time for the last several years.
Do not be afraid to do this to protect you and yours.
CerridwenLorelei is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off