Visit from Sherrif's dept from Dept. family services!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-25-2006, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So someone knocked at the door this morning, I saw it was a man and opened the door, closed it behind me and went onto the deck. There was another man on the sidewalk. The one on the deck said they were looking for Sara. I said that was me. He said they had come out because the Department of family services(or something like that) has supposidly been out to our place and said that it smelled like there were a lot of cats. : I told him that we had one cat and he's an indoor cat who never goes outside and that I hadn't seen strays running around either(we're out in the country by the way). So he said something about well they have to check things out and make sure things are ok, there's no Meth labs and such. Not sure if Meth labs smell like cats or what.

So then he asks if we have kids, and I said yes, he asked how many, I said 3. He then asked if they were all ok and healthy and everything, and again I said yes. So he said ok that they were just following up on the report/call ??? not sure from family services. He made some comment that he thought that family services had actually been here and talked to me. I told him that no, they've never been to our house at least not where they've come and talked to us so that we would have known they were here.

SO what's up with this?? : Why would dept family services have come out to our house and walked around our property? Would someone have made a call to them and they came out and then called the sheriff's dept? Does the fact that I'm on Medical Assistance mean they have permission to come check up on us? I'm just really confused why they would have been out here in the first place.

Anyone been through this? Did anything come of it? Did they follow up or come back again? Thanks, Sara

Homeschooling Mama to 6. Waiting for baby #7 to arrive mid September.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2006, 11:11 PM

It strikes me that MAYBE they just had the wrong place...? You know, some communication got mixed up somewhere and they ended up visiting the wrong residence.

Scary and invasive either way, and my hugs go out to you!

Meth labs can smell like cats. Some dealers who make it use ammonia. We had a neighbor once who we're sure smoked the stuff, and you could smell a very pungent ammonia/chemical smell.

Is there anyone around you or anyone you know that would have called Family Services? I wouldn't worry too much. As long as your kids are healthy, your house is clean- and by that I mean no piles of garbage, moldy clothing, or dishes that havent been done in a month-and you truly have one cat, they aren't going to do anything else. I do not know if being on medical assistance warrants a visit from the Sheriff. I'd like to hope not, but the government sucks that way.

That does sound strange! Is is possible that they had your adress confused with one of your neighbors? Is there a stinkly meth house with a lot of cats near you? If i were you I would call family services and ask them what the h*** is going on. I might call my lawer as well.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
Old 07-25-2006, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure if they could have had the wrong house. I mean they did know my name. I don't know of anyone's yard around here smelling like cat pee. I mentioned to the officer that we had a bunch of chickens...not sure if that could be the smell.

My DH did call family services and left a message since they were already closed...we'll see if they return the call. He said that they have no right going around our yard peeking in windows sniffing, etc. that all they can do is walk up the sidewalk, knock and leave...(not that he's a laywer...not sure where he got that from or if it's just his opinion).

We only "know" one neighbor, and we haven't talked to her or had her over for months so I don't think it would be anyone we know. We dont' ever have anyone out because everyone thinks we live too far away.

Of course it just had to be that the yard was a mess with toys and there was some dishes on the porch because I had stuck them in the oven to get them out of my way one day, later preheated the oven, forgetting they were in there and some of the junk melted, and we just put it out on the porch to air out and of course were lazy and had left them out there. I tried to clean up the porch tonight.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

So just out of curiosity if they every come back or if the family services people came out, do I have to let them in my house? I thought I've heard from people that unless they have a warrant not to let them in your house because then they can dish more crap up. ??? The officers never asked to come in or if they could actually see my kids to make sure they were indeed healthy, and I sure didn't offer!!

Old 07-26-2006, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saramomofmany
So just out of curiosity if they every come back or if the family services people came out, do I have to let them in my house? I thought I've heard from people that unless they have a warrant not to let them in your house because then they can dish more crap up. ??? The officers never asked to come in or if they could actually see my kids to make sure they were indeed healthy, and I sure didn't offer!!
From what I understand, you don't have to let them in your house without a warrant.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:20 AM

Do you cloth diaper? Maybe that has created an ammonia smell in your house and someone noticed. (I can't seem to get rid of it in our house.)

Other than that, I'd guess they just got the wrong house.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:24 AM

You do not have to agree to anything without a warrant. Do a search here for CPS and your rights.

-Angela
Old 07-26-2006, 12:26 AM

Sadly, meth is becoming a HUGE problem in rural areas. Since it sounds like they were polite and didn't harass you, maybe you could just look at the silver lining in the whole situation -- the local authorities are concerned with with meth labs. They possibly were just doing a door to door canvass (it's certainly not hard to get your name, and their excuse for stopping by sounded vague enough) and after they realized you looked legit they left.

Sounds like a totally shady way to do the check, though.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:27 AM

Parent's Guide to the System
By Cheryl T Barnes.

http://www.geocities.com/family_righ...nts_guide.html

Read this link and know your rights!!! You as a parent have the right to protect your family, but do you know 'your parental rights'?????
Old 07-26-2006, 12:28 AM

Read this link. Memorize it word for word. Exercise your rights. Good luck, mama.

ETA- Tummy beat me

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Old 07-26-2006, 12:28 AM

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling they're not allowed on your property or in your house without a search warrant. Signed. By a judge.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:30 AM

Steph have we done the tango before

I beat you to the post.

Great minds think alike.. or perhaps great mothers protect alike.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Baudelaire
I could be wrong, but I have a feeling they're not allowed on your property or in your house without a search warrant. Signed. By a judge.
This is absolutely 100% correct..

The problem with that is.. many many people do not know this. They see a cop and or a DCF/CPS worker and assume that they do not have any rights..

Hence the reason there has been two people (myself included) who have posted the Parent's Guide to the System!!!
Old 07-26-2006, 12:34 AM

I swear that link needs to be its own sticky!!!
Old 07-26-2006, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tummy
Great minds think alike.. or perhaps great mothers protect alike.
I actually got the link from you, in a pm, a while back. Fortunately I did not need it at the time, but I have it saved and link it often to others

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Old 07-26-2006, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen
I actually got the link from you, in a pm, a while back. Fortunately I did not need it at the time, but I have it saved and link it often to others

I have pasted that link all over MDC.. Every where I can.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:36 AM

you legally dont have to let anyone in your house without a warrent btw.......
Old 07-26-2006, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Search warrant only.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:18 AM

And what does a cat smell like?

Mine don't have a smell to them.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:59 AM

We had a visit from DCF(ya them people) because our dog bit my son(we are getting rid of her don't worry) and they tried to make me look like a worse mama then I feel because I have ppd.

The dr. that called them on us never even seen my son, we took him to the urgent care clinic and they just said that there was no reason he was brought in because it was so little. And animal control came to look at the dog to determain what should be done and she relized that she is just a puppy(she is a 16 wk old Great Dane) so the dog is under (as they call quarentine) I call house arrest, she can go out of her cage(it's a big cage) to go outside on a leash to the bathroom and then right back.

My husband mentioned it to his work(he's military he has too) and they said that the dr had no business calling them because it was just stupid.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:11 AM

There's no mention in the OP of how you knew they were legimate. Were they in uniform? Driving a sheriff's vehicle? Did they show appropriate identification? The whole thing--not your story, the men's approach--sounds vague and a little creepy.

Missy
Old 07-26-2006, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy
There's no mention in the OP of how you knew they were legimate. Were they in uniform? Driving a sheriff's vehicle? Did they show appropriate identification? The whole thing--not your story, the men's approach--sounds vague and a little creepy.

Missy
Missy,

When they mentioned they were from the Sheriff's department, I noticed the one on the porch had a star badge and a gun on his hip(I didn't check the other guy that closely as I was answering the questions the one on the porch was asking). Neither was wearing a uniform. I believe they were wearing jeans and a regular shirt.

I couldn't see the vehicle from the porch, but when they walked away, I went inside and looked out the window facing the driveway and there was a car but there were no markings on it that I could see.

Yeah it is creepy, isn't it!?! I guess I was just figuring that they don't want people to know who they are in advance so that you will open the door. We moved here about 10 months ago, and the house we lived in before that(in a town) I got a knock one day and I was smarter then and just looked out the window on the door and the guy then held up his badge so I could see it then I opened the door. Apparently he was a truancy officer trying to locate a teenager that used to live in the house we were living in because the teenager hadn't been in school...I just explained that we had recently moved in and that it must be the previous residents. From what I remember, he drove an unmarked car also.

But now you've got me thinking, and I'm a little scared. What else could they be if they weren't really from the Sheriff's dept??

Sara

Old 07-26-2006, 11:19 AM

You could call the Sherriff's Dept to make sure it was legitmate. If in fact it was, no harm done. If it wasn't, the Sherriff's Dept needs to know that people are driving around impersonating police officers. Not cool!
Old 07-26-2006, 11:40 AM

Quote:
But now you've got me thinking, and I'm a little scared. What else could they be if they weren't really from the Sheriff's dept??
I would call the Sheriff's dept and verify that some had in fact been sent out there.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:48 AM

Either way, I'd be freaked out. But, your description of their visit just struck me as strange. If they're not from the sheriff's office, they may have been counting on the fact that most people, particularly mothers, would be overwhelmingly intimidated by the mention of family services and wouldn't even think about questioning their presence. I would definitely contact the sheriff's office and/or family services (I know you've already called; if they don't call back this morning, call again). I hope you get some answers very soon!

Missy
Old 07-27-2006, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, so Family Services returned the call this morning and my husband called them back from work. The lady talked to everyone in the office and told my husband that nobody knew a thing about us, and basically that it wasn't them....now I have no idea if they would lie or not. My husband said that they better talk to the Sheriff's dept. and figure out what's going on...she said she knew somebody in the Sheriff's Dept and would call them and if she found out anything call us back. That was this morning, and we never got any more calls from them today(have caller id). We got home kind of late this evening, so I'm guessing my DH will call the Sheriff's Dept. tomorrow when he gets home from work if we haven't heard anything by then.

I asked my DH if he hired those guys to scare me so I would get the house cleaned finally!! He denies those alligations.

Sara

Old 07-27-2006, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Ok, so Family Services returned the call this morning and my husband called them back from work. The lady talked to everyone in the office and told my husband that nobody knew a thing about us, and basically that it wasn't them....now I have no idea if they would lie or not.

Sara
CPS lady talked to everyone in your husband's office?
How and or Why would she talk to everyone in his office, but no one knew a thing?

I HATE THESE PEOPLE!

Are you uncertain if the CPS people would lie or not?
Old 07-27-2006, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tummy
CPS lady talked to everyone in your husband's office?
How and or Why would she talk to everyone in his office, but no one knew a thing?

I HATE THESE PEOPLE!

Are you uncertain if the CPS people would lie or not?
Ok, let me rephrase it(I was tired when I wrote last night so maybe it didn't come out right). The CPS lady said she talked to everyone in her office and none of those people had any information on us(like we didn't have a file nor were they were investigating us).

I was saying I didn't know if the CPS lady would lie and say they didn't know anything about us if they did, or if they would tell us that yes they had sent the Sheriff's Dept out.

Does that make more sense? Sorry I was confusing. Hopefully the lady calls back(but in case she doesn't, I just sent my DH a text message to ask him to call the CPS lady again at his lunch break to see if she found out anything). My DH works in a factory type of place, so he can't get/make calls during work, he has to wait until break, but he should get the text message when his lunch break arrives.

Sara

User Tag List