poll: What level of formal education do you have? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: what level of formal education do you have?
didn't graduate high school 9 2.74%
high school diploma 8 2.43%
some college 61 18.54%
bachelor's degree 131 39.82%
post-graduate degree 120 36.47%
Voters: 329. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 84 Old 03-21-2003, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I ask because it seems to me that in general people here are pretty well educated, more so than on other sites. I think most green, AP folk are. Strange - you would think that the less educated you are, the more likely you would be to follow your instincts and intuition. Maybe with less education you are more inclined to follow the herd because you lack the critical thinking skills to find out what your instincts actually are?

Anyway, just wondering -
#2 of 84 Old 03-21-2003, 11:51 PM

What about some graduate school? I did a few semesters...
#3 of 84 Old 03-21-2003, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I was going to include that as a choice, but for some reason I didn't. Sorry, no credit for your semester of graduate school here! ag

What can I say, I am only "some college" after all.
#4 of 84 Old 03-22-2003, 12:38 AM

I have a law degree (Juris Doctor). Fat lot of good t does me now!! Ever try arguing with an 11 month old? - LOL

thistle
#5 of 84 Old 03-22-2003, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by thistle
I have a law degree (Juris Doctor). Fat lot of good t does me now!! Ever try arguing with an 11 month old? - LOL

thistle
:LOL :LOL :LOL

I have a Masters. In comparative literature ~ weird, how the big buck world is just not that interested... :
#6 of 84 Old 03-22-2003, 01:07 AM

I voted graduated high school. I have completed quite a few military schools that count as college credit but I don't see myself getting a job in cryptology out in these parts.
#7 of 84 Old 03-22-2003, 01:11 AM

I've got a Bachelor's Degree in English Lit & Writing, and an Associates Degree in Court Reporting. Okay, that's a slight brag. But I am very proud of them. I did work very hard in school.

HOWEVER, I think I've learned more from being a mom to dd in the last 9 months than I've ever learned in all my time in school.
Yes, I learned lots in school...book stuff, but from dd I learned more of life, the universe, and everything. More of what matters: like watching your babe sleep, snuggles, hugs, and tummy razzberries.

Loon

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**
#8 of 84 Old 03-22-2003, 01:44 AM

I went to college for one year... then I realized that what makes me happy is Art (for which I don't need a degree) and that I really just wanted to be a wife and a mom and didn't care about a career so I saved my money.

I read a lot and feel like I am pretty well educated even without the documentation to prove it. I'm only 22 so somedays it dawns on me that most people my age are just getting ready to graduate college and I'm already married and a mother. I wouldn't change it for the world!
#9 of 84 Old 03-22-2003, 01:48 AM

Bachelors in Nursing - one of the smartest thing I have done as far navigating the medical culture in this country! Was a public health nurse until Ds was born, now thinking the I will someday take the necessary steps to become a lactation consultant - but want to raise my babies first.
#10 of 84 Old 03-22-2003, 01:54 AM

I have a BA in German & Western European Studies, which I saw more as liberal arts education than as a career starter. Now I am going for an Associates in Massage Therapy. I finally figured out what I want to do when I grow up. Well, it is a start anyway.
#11 of 84 Old 03-22-2003, 02:29 AM

Bachelor of Fine Arts in Theatre and Masters of Education.

I'm very proud of both. I just wish I went to a cheaper school (90K in debt at least)

Jesse
#12 of 84 Old 03-22-2003, 09:20 AM

I have a BA in theatre and now i'm a bookseller.
go figure???
#13 of 84 Old 03-22-2003, 09:53 AM

I have a master's degree in reproductive physiology of dairy cows.

Weird, I Kknow. I used to want to go to vet school.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#14 of 84 Old 03-22-2003, 10:58 AM

I have a BS in chemistry and more than 20 hours of post-grad credit in cell and molecular biology. I'll probably go back to school one day, but to study what I don't know.

Carrie
Mama to Nate (11/02) and due 4/12/11
#15 of 84 Old 03-22-2003, 11:07 AM

I think I would have a degree, I just think all the classes look so interesting and change my major every few semesters.

I went to school mostly full time for 3 years and scince ds was born I have taken a class or two most semesters. Currently I am working on Acct., before that was education, then anthroplogy, then chemistry. They all just sound so fun!

I know I should just get done! But for my current major, I have at least two years of full time left, not too many of my chem or education credits are much help:
#16 of 84 Old 03-22-2003, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Bachelor of Fine Arts in Technical Theatre - Emphasis in Stage Management, Set Design and Sound Design. Yes that is actually what my degree is.

I actually do use it right now. I work for the university sort of pinch hitting for the theatre department. Pays pretty good and it is fun.

THinking about going to grad school....but not sure what I want to do. Probably get my Master's in Education so I can teach. I dunno. right now I am just trying to get pregnant!!!

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#17 of 84 Old 03-22-2003, 01:09 PM

BS is microbiology/chemistry minor. I also have an aa in history and some other stuff like doula training and 3rd degree reiki.

I love my job now (hsing ap mama!) but I truely feel a calling to be a naturopath. I plan to go back to school in about 3 years.
#18 of 84 Old 03-22-2003, 01:16 PM

I have my bachelors in nursing. I have taken post graduate courses in human lactation. Will test for LC this summer!!
#19 of 84 Old 03-22-2003, 01:21 PM

#20 of 84 Old 03-22-2003, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

mom2connor - do you have an open store or are you an online bookseller? In my former life I worked in several bookstores, the last one a rare and antiquarian store in which I was the only employee! That was fun - I was there for 3 years until I got preggo. I actually technically still work for him - I supposedly catalog books at home for sale on our internet sites. Not as much as I should, though. I LOVE books, especially old books. I want to start selling books online myself but I'm waiting until I move out of state - I don't want to go into competition with my current boss while I can still work for him. He's a really great guy.
#21 of 84 Old 03-22-2003, 02:43 PM

I graduated from highschool, barely. Then I wisely chose to not go to college. Iwas NOT ready to go then, and I do not even know if I consider myself ready to go now.

My sister went and she was not ready..and it was a terrible experiance that cost her a lot of money in debt and she still has to pay it off..plus she ended up quitting school with out ever getting ANY degree what so ever.

My little brother is graduating from highschool this spring..and we are all trying to be pretty relaxed about him going to college or getting a job...If he goes to school, great.If he chooses to go to work somewhere,great..not sweating this one!

I am also not really all that concerned if my children go to college or not.If they want to go, great.We shall see to it they can go. If they do not, great too.They have the right to live thier lives as they choose..and I really do not think a college education is the only way to amount to something in the world.

My husband did take some classes at the local community college for things like carpentry and mechanics. He is a truck driver.He makes about 45k a year, and we have our own home, and we are ok.

oops, starting to sound defensive and snooty..sorry. I do not intend to be..I just get so tired of hearing how EVERYONE should go to college or ELSE they will not amount to anything and will be poverty striken and forced to live in a cardboard box and never be capable of intelligent thought.

I have a good life , and I read and think and etc...all with out a degree on my wall.I wish people in the universe where more aware of the fact that paper does not equal reality at all times, you know?

I think we have ALL met the College educated idiot with no common sense? Have we not...just the same as we have all met the uneducated,back woods, hick type who is ignorant and has no interest in learning anyhting except how to drink beer and beat his family.

there is a LOT more in between...is there not?
#22 of 84 Old 03-22-2003, 03:10 PM

A\
#23 of 84 Old 03-22-2003, 03:21 PM

I have a PH.D.

Interesting post. I think some people can think critically at an early age, but most don't. Hopefully, that is what education does for a person - makes them better at thinking and analyzing things for themselves. We all know exceptions to this, of course! But I think that is true, in general.
#24 of 84 Old 03-22-2003, 04:38 PM

My undergrad and Master's degrees are in Music Performance. I was in a doctoral program for 4 years, but never with the intention of finishing that degree.

I still have fantasies about going back for an Artist's Diploma. I love studying with inspiring teachers.

No time or money for that now, though.
#25 of 84 Old 03-22-2003, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Strange - you would think that the less educated you are, the more likely you would be to follow your instincts and intuition
The majority of folks here at MDC are skilled at critical thinking. One would have to be to be able to digest all the information thrown at us everyday by the mainstream and otherwise and make informed, educated decisions.

Whether that is a result of the quantity of education a person receives I cannot say. Education often teaches critical thinking, but not always. I don't think the 2 directly correlate. However, education can be be one of several factors that empower people to think criticaly.

Karen Mommy of McKenna 2003 & Alysson 2004 homebirth.jpg Expecting stork-girl.gif an early Christmas Present
#26 of 84 Old 03-22-2003, 07:04 PM

I have a B.A. in Humanities and some gradute work in Social Studies Education. I "took a break" from grad school near the middle of my pregnancy and now DD is 6 months old and I don't intend to go back and finish. I still want to be an educator, but at home for my children rather than in a school where I'd have to deal with standardized testing, overcrowding, lack of resources, etc. I am already starting to gather resources for our homeschooling days and we have several years before we start. DH thinks I'm a nut, but I'm just so excited about it.
#27 of 84 Old 03-22-2003, 08:03 PM

I have a Master's degree, and worked in my field for years, but only very part time since having kids, and now - not working in my field at all (well, occasional guest lecturer at a University).

I love being home with my kids - wouldn't change it.

And, yeah...I know plenty of people with degrees who seem to have no common sense, and people with no degrees who are brilliant. I don't think "level" of education and intelligence/success/compassion/good decision making are correlated.

Laura
#28 of 84 Old 03-22-2003, 09:37 PM

I have a Masters Degree in Special Ed - moderate and severe disabilities with a focus on Autism.
#29 of 84 Old 03-22-2003, 10:30 PM

I have a PhD in pharmacology and completed a post-doctoral fellowship in cardiac electrophysiology right before DD was born.

In total, I have devoted myself to research for the past 10 years. I have loved it, it kept my mind busy, it was interesting work, and rewarding. But now I'm so into being a mother and thinking about homeschooling my child (and future children), so really not sure if I'll go back into research. I used to worry about it all being "a waste" but now I realize that I had to do *something* all those years, and why not something I loved doing?

And that's just what I'm doing now being a mother: doing something I love doing!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#30 of 84 Old 03-22-2003, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Piglet68

I used to worry about it all being "a waste" but now I realize that I had to do *something* all those years, and why not something I loved doing?

Right on, Piglet -

Education is never "wasted" - you don't have to be using something to make money in order for it to be valuable!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page