Considering Triple/Quad Stroller - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-24-2003, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 3 girls - 4 months to 4 years. We live 3/4 mile from a downtown area and walk the 1.5 miles round trip every chance we get (usually just me w/all 3 girls). I also frequently take them to the mall (mostly to play) and the zoo.

I have a double stroller and we have used it a lot. I think I need a triple or a quad b/c we will definitely use it. I do like to wear the baby in and front or backpack, but in the summer it does get a little warm to do so and also, my MIL has one day of the week as "her" day w/the girls and she likes to walk as well. She's tiny and not comfortable wearing the baby so I know she'd like a triple/quad stroller and would use the heck out of it too.

I've been looking at the J Mason triples and quads b/c we can get one for under $250 shipped. Any feedback on these? I like the triple b/c it's thin enough to go thru a standard doorway. However, the quad appeals to me b/c if I have another... and it makes all the kids that much closer to me, but it will obviously not fit thru a standard doorway. What to do?

Help me mamas!

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#2 of 8 Old 03-24-2003, 04:03 PM

I would strongly suggest going to www.parentsplace.com/messageboards in the middle column about 1/3 the way down there is a bulletin board dedicated to strollers. These gals are experts and know WAY too much about strollers - many of them own 3-5 strollers. That is where I would start. I am sure they can give you recommendations.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#3 of 8 Old 03-24-2003, 04:22 PM

I've heard really good things about those strollers from my Mothers of Multiples group!

We are looking at the Peg Perego Triplette package though, since it comes with two infant car seats (and three toddler seats for the stroller, though you can take two out and replace them with the car seat carrier).

The J Mason strollers are supposed to be much more lightweight and easily foldable, from what I've heard, though the Peg Perego tend to retain their value when you sell them.

You could poke around on some twins and supertwins sites too, I'm sure a lot of people there have lots of experience with triple-or-more strollers!
#4 of 8 Old 03-25-2003, 12:48 AM

Hi Leighanne,
The J. Mason stroller is not worth the money. Once your babe is over a year you will have trouble with them fitting into the stroller. I've also read how people have had the frame bend on the stroller, once their children are older. ( go to the triplet connection website & read all about it). I used the J. Mason for 2 months after my triplets were born & ended up taking it back to BRU & getting my money back. The front seat has only a waist strap & whoever was in the front kept sliding down. My then 3 yr old would fit only (barely) into the front seat of the stroller. I bought a Peg Perego triplet stroller secondhand from a fellow triplet mom for $200. It has been well worth the money. I have the older model. The only disadvantage is that I have to partially take it apart to fit into my van, but it takes me less than 2 minutes to put it together. On occasion my older dd has sat in it (plenty of room for her). The Runabout is another triplet/quad stroller. It steers a lot easier than the peg ( it is the stroller i wish that I had gotten, but the price was right for the other). You can find these strollers either through local Mother's of Multiples clubs (used) or online at the Triplet Connection site- they have used stroller listings by state.
BTW my triplets are now 2 yrs & we rarely use the stroller anymore, they just don't want to sit in it. When we go for walks they love to sit in their Choo-choo wagon. Each child has their own compartment to sit in-you can attach up to 7 cars. The first car has storage space under the seat & each car is a different color. I pull my 4 around the neighborhood everyday. It's made by step2 & you can even get seatbelts for it. I think I paid less than $100 for it.
HTH (probably way more info than you needed!)
Beth Mom to Megan-almost 5, Rachel,Zach, & Ashley- 2 yrs
#5 of 8 Old 03-25-2003, 12:52 AM

I have a triple Baby Jogger and so does Stephanie. They are worth every penny! I have a single, double, and a triple! All have been used and used and used but still work/look great. I got my triple on the Baby Jogger website in the sale area. I believe it was a discontinued color or something so it was cheaper. Especially since you want more kids and I know how much we LOVE walking to town you will use it!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#6 of 8 Old 03-25-2003, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

THANKS MAMAS!

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#7 of 8 Old 03-25-2003, 06:53 PM

Another thing to consider is buying a skateboard for your double stroller. It's a small wheeled platform that hooks onto the rear wheel axle and the oldest can stand on it while you push. That would be the most cost effective way to go if money is an issue.

I think you can get those skateboards at onestepahead.com

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#8 of 8 Old 03-25-2003, 11:17 PM

When my twins were born my oldest was 2. We bought a used triplet stroller, the peg perego and never regretted it. It got tons of use for walking. It's sitting in my garage now and dh really wants me to get rid of it. Where are you located? I'm willing to sell it pretty cheaply. I've also heard bad things about the JMason. It wasnt' out when I bought mine so I didn't get to consider it. I know one triplet mom who bought it and then returned it quickly after her twins were born. She had a surprise baby a year later and then bought a quad stroller.

Jenny

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page