De-Ferberize Them? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 08-12-2006, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Most parents have heard of the ‘Ferber Method’. If you happened to miss it in every parenting book ever published , then you probably saw a humorous rendition of this concept in the Blockbuster hit, Meet The Fockers. Basically, the Ferber Method was created by Dr.Richard Ferber who, more than 20 years ago, told parents to let their child go through incremental periods of crying while trying to fall asleep. In addition, Ferber also wrote, “Sleeping alone is an important part of [your child’s] learning to be able to separate from you without anxiety and to see himself [or herself] as an independent individual.” People took his advice as gospel and for the past 20 years parents all over the world have been agonizing whether or not to give into their parental instincts and nurture their child or let their frantic cries go unnoticed. Well guess what? Without any kind of apology, Ferber has changed his mind. In Ferber’s new book, “Solve Your Child’s Sleep Problems – New Revised and Expanded Edition,”, he writes, “What ever you want to do, whatever you feel comfortable doing, is the right thing to do, as long as it works.” Well so much for credibility from the experts. So many parents have followed this method even if it meant suppressing their own instincts, just because some Doctor they never met before told them to do so. I hope the world has learned a lesson from the ongoing inconsistent advice given by the professionals. Every day a new trend emerges and once again parents are left to themselves wondering which path to follow. Personally, I try to avoid reading baby book at all costs, for this reason in particular. My husband and I have created our own method of parenting; I guess you could call it Jazyking. And guess what? It works for us!
Please share your thoughts. I love hearing peoples opinions about Dr.Ferber!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page