What is a good present for a 4 yr old girl? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-25-2003, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm going to visit my friend who has a 4 year old daughter - what's a good present for her? Any book recommendations? Thanks!

"We shape the clay into a pot but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want" Lao Tzu
#2 of 8 Old 03-25-2003, 01:34 PM

My daughters all love the Magnadoodle. Yes, it's plastic, and yes, it has a limited life span, but it's a great toy. They can use it at home, in the car, in waiting rooms, anywhere.

Art supplies are always a nice gift. Right now my girls are at the kitchen table using Magic Nuudles. Great fun, not too much mess to clean up afterward.

http://www.magicnuudles.com/home.htm

As far as books, anything by Eric Carle is a hit in my house. Another favorite here for pre-readers is Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. (A child who is reading might think it's too babyish, though.)

Hope this helps,
Diana
#3 of 8 Old 03-25-2003, 02:38 PM

Sam and the Firefly is my all time favorite kids book!

Stellaluna is awsome too.

Have you looked at www.magiccabin.com for "natural" toys?

I love to give summery gifts at this time of year. how about roller skates? they have the ones that attach to your shoes. You could get her a litting jump rope that's just her size or a hoola hoop (they make them for little people too).

You could get her a bug catcher kit! A little net and a mesh "cage" to keep her bugs in for a little while. just make sure she know she has to let them go. I think a Firefly lantern could be cool!

Don't know how much you want to spend. You could get her a CD of fun dancing music...or how about BUBBLES??? Bubbles are always a hit!

Etch-a-sketch, Sit N Spin, a mini tent she could set up in her room and camp out in. how about a sleeping bag? They have great sleeping bags for little people.

Hope this helps!
#4 of 8 Old 03-25-2003, 02:47 PM

Little animal figurines -- they're usually made of plastic or resin but sometimes you can find wood or felt ones. Whatever they are made of, they are what my 4-year-old's grubby paws are always clutching, LOL. She can't get enough of them. She uses them for everything.

For books, anything recommended for that age group on http://chinaberry.com/ is wonderful. Anything.
#5 of 8 Old 03-25-2003, 03:12 PM

I second the art supplies. Maybe get a cute little basket or bag and fill it with paints and brushes glitter glue and glitter pens.
#6 of 8 Old 03-25-2003, 04:02 PM

I have a 4 year old. She loves art supplies -- blank paper, stencils, markers, pencil crayons, tape, glue, anything along those lines. Inexpensive picture frames with materials to decorate are a fun craft project. She also loves puzzles, she does one's that are 60 - 100 pieces. Other favourites are sidewalk chalk (warm weather is coming!!!), books, workbooks (she loves to do mazes, connect the dots) and CD-Rom games.

It's a fun age to shop for!

Peace.
#7 of 8 Old 03-25-2003, 04:09 PM

I have a four-year-old girl!

Our all-time favorite author is Kevin Henkes. Some of his books are Chester's Way, Wemberly Worried, Owen, A Weekend With Wendell, Jessica, and Chrysanthemum.

My daughter loves anything small she can give a personality to and use to act out stories. She plays a lot with dollhouse dolls, and not necessarily in the dollhouse. She also loves to draw, so I'll add my vote for art supplies. And dress-up clothes are a huge hit, especially for playdates - we have a whole trunkful of stuff, from firefighter hats to princess costumes.

Games are great at this age, too. We have the usual Candy Land, Chutes and Ladders, Hi-Ho Cherry-O, etc., but also some less common ones like Sequence for Kids and some German made games that can be found in "natural toy" catalogs like Magic Cabin.

And last suggestion - outdoor play stuff - balls, sidewalk chalk, bubbles, hula hoops, gardening tools, bug collecting kits...

Happy shopping!
#8 of 8 Old 03-25-2003, 04:16 PM

Felt boards and pieces. She loves these. Telling stories, making up different picture games. She has two boards and a variety of pieces -- farm, people, ocean, Madeline, etc. I think it's FeltKids makes really cool sets that have a zippered pouch that clips to the board for easy clean-up, storage and travel. We also buy felt and make pieces for certain things (pumpkins, ghosts, etc. at Hallowe'en). Hours of fun!!!

Peace.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page