tribe for large families/mamas of many kids? - Page 14 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-20-2008, 03:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Interesting!!

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2008, 09:13 AM

My kids are on the young side yet, but they have a few "chores" they help out with. Ds(8), who has his own bedroom, has his "room chores" where he is to open his curtains in the am, unplug his night light, make his bed, get dressed & put his pjs in the hamper. My two older dds tidy up their room, make their beds & put their dirty clothes in the hamper. All kids help clean up toys at the end of the day & whenever else they are asked. My 7 year old dd is the most amazing helper. She loves to help clean & has actually vacuumed for me & cleaned the bathrooms. I don't ask her to do those things though, only if she volunteers. I don't want her to do a disproportionate amount of the housework. The other two older kids have no interest in doing more. They will get more chores assigned though, as they get older.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
Old 08-20-2008, 12:17 PM

I came from a big family--10 kids. And we're planning on having a big family (more than 6, less than 10). I have three kids under four right now. Wanted to jump on board.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:22 PM

Hi guys New to the boards and I found this thread so I figured I'd jump right in!

We have 5 kiddos currently ranging from 2mo- 12yrs (a mixture of biological, adopted from foster care & foster kiddos that we are planning to adopt). It's possible we'll be adding two more to the group (7mo & almost 5yo) -siblings to our adopted daughter! I've always wanted a big family, I used to say I was going to have 20kids.. lol! DH wanted 1 kid, oops!

Can't wait to get to know you all better soon!
Old 08-28-2008, 12:44 PM

Hi! I'd like to join in too!

Right now we have 3yo bio dd and 1yo foster dd, 7yo foster dd and 8yo foster ds. We had up to 5 kids until our other foster dd left a little over a week ago, but I'm sure it won't take long to fill our other opening and be up to 5 again.

Right now we're limiting the size of the family based on the size of my van, which seats 7, but eventually I'd like to have 10 or so. Everyone thinks we're nuts since we're still young. Most of our friends are just starting out (I'm 24 and DH is 25) and starting to get married, then we've got a house, a business, and 4-5 kids!

Mom to ds 10/12 and dd 2/05 ribbonrainbow.gif

Blogging about living with xeroderma pigmentosum at www.pacificnights.org/ and about life in general at http://livingavibrantlife.blogspot.com/
Old 08-29-2008, 06:07 PM

Just wanted to welcome all the newcomers!

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:16 PM

Hello. I have four kids. They are 8, 6, 4, and 2. My dh had a vasectomy and then a reversal four months later. That was 2 months ago. I am wanting another but he's nervous about it. I'm Catholic. He's not. But he may be warming up to the idea of both! I'm 37. I'm also about to begin homeschooling the older two next month. That's me in a nutshell.

Robin and dh-Mark married 1997
Kiana - 1999, Quinn - 2002, Ciela - 2004, Carina - 2006 and Sullivan born 8-18-09
Old 09-01-2008, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi there! In the interest of limiting FYT to subjects not hosted elsewhere on the board, we have moved your tribe here. You're still a tribe, which means you're still support-only. If you have any questions about the move, please do not discuss it on the boards. Rather, contact an administrator or start a thread in Questions and Suggestions. Thanks, and happy posting!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 09-01-2008, 09:28 PM

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 09-01-2008, 10:14 PM

Hi I have 4 kids, still undecided about #5. My kids are quite spread out in age, I have trouble figuring out fun outings and activities to do with the older guys and have the little ones happy too. Like today, we spent 5 hours at the beach. The boys loved it, but it was hard keeping the baby out of the sun. We went hiking the other day. the boys were ready to go far and fast, but i wore the baby and DD couldnt go too far or fast. How do you all deal with these things?
Old 09-04-2008, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyeta View Post
Hi I have 4 kids, still undecided about #5. My kids are quite spread out in age, I have trouble figuring out fun outings and activities to do with the older guys and have the little ones happy too. Like today, we spent 5 hours at the beach. The boys loved it, but it was hard keeping the baby out of the sun. We went hiking the other day. the boys were ready to go far and fast, but i wore the baby and DD couldnt go too far or fast. How do you all deal with these things?
We have the same issue here! The ages of my kids are 13, 10, 2, and 6 months. Bowling has been a hit so far, though I'm sure it won't be as easy once the baby becomes mobile and less content to sit on a lap. We also do letterboxing, which involves hiking - but since you're reading clues, etc. you generally don't go as fast. I'm curious to see what others suggest.

A happy woman
Old 09-04-2008, 03:23 PM

How could I not have seen this thread before??

We have seven kidlets right now (12, 11, almost 10, almost 7, 6 and twin 2 year olds). We go back and forth on having another. Sometimes we are both really excited at the the thought. Other times, when we are feeling a bit selfish, we say no, we are done and looking forward to more "us time". I was an only child and I just love : having our big family. Even if it does make our families and friends (and strangers for that matter!!) question our sanity.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:36 PM

[QUOTE=Kidzaplenty;8446826 And to be quite frank, most of the arguments that are used for limiting the number of children you have are identical to the arguments used to justify abortion. And that is against our beliefs.

[/QUOTE]

Could you elaborate on this? I completely agree with everything you wrote, so I am not baiting you. I realize that you may need to word carefully or PM me because of the UA, but I'd really like to know how the arguments are identical.
Thanks!

Katie, mama to Katherine 21, Christian 19, Johannah 17, Nicholas 12, Genevieve 10, Matthew 7, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with my husband, Scott
Old 09-04-2008, 06:43 PM

I coulda swore I posted on here before, but maybe it was another thread. You can see my family in the siggy and we drive a 12 passenger Chevy Express on a 15 passenger wheelbase. And... yes, we know what causes it, whipped cream and sleeping children!

Katie, mama to Katherine 21, Christian 19, Johannah 17, Nicholas 12, Genevieve 10, Matthew 7, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with my husband, Scott
Old 09-04-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyeta View Post
Everyone in our house likes digging and climbing! Mine are 15, 11 5 and 2. We just spent a week at the beach (Welsh beaches - not very warm!) and they all spent a long time digging holes, burying themselves and other things, finding crabs and rescuing fishes. One day we went to a special beach where the river comes down to the sea so you can walk across the river and also paddle in the sea. The boys moved huge flat stones around and skimmed a bucket-load of stones while the girls paddled in the river and splashed about. We stayed for ages and everyone was happy.

The other week we went out with a friend who has children 14, 11, 8 and 5 and after hunting and catching crickets for ages they all spent about an hour climbing along a tree which has half fallen and is now growing horizontally, took it in turns to sit right on the end and bounce it up and down and try not to rock each other off the branches. They all helped each other out and we were just amazed that they didn't complain or want drinks or anything the whole time we were out.

Looking back at this and other things we have done over the summer I think that when we find an outdoor place where everyone can choose the thing they want to do, be it running around, hiding, digging, hunting small creatures or just wondering at the world, we have a better time than with things that are more 'formal'.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:56 PM

I just realised that the last time I posted on this thread I was asking about trolleys (carts) I ended up buying this mauve one and it is a truly amazing addition to our day to day. We use it almost every day for something or other and it is so great to put every kind of clothing you think you might need during the day and not worry that you are going to be festooned like a donkey.

The car woes we had back then are also cured with a Honda Odyssey imported form Singapore. After 18 months of having a car we couldn't all fit in, having this beauty has meant that we have been on lots of adventures and despite the now even more scary cost of fuel we are still loving it.

No-one asks us what is causing it. The last person who said anything about us having four also asked if we might have any more and then replied himself before I could say anything: "Never say never eh?" Exactly!
Old 09-04-2008, 11:33 PM

Hello, I'm Amy with 5 kiddos 13, 11, 7, 5 and 7 weeks.
Yes, we've been to theme parks with the older 4, I've even braved Busch Gardens several times with just myself and the older 4 It really helps that the older two are fairly responsible for themselves.
I drive an Explorer w/a 3rd row but would love to go back to a mini van. It can be a pain in the rear to have the kids climb back into the 3rd row.

Quote:
did you KNOW you wanted a large family?If so,was it something you ALWAYS knew or were you back and forth or what?What's it like having lots of kids?
I always said that I wanted 4 kids. What's it like? hectic, crazy, fun, exasperating, fullfilling...

Amy - mom to Anna-Rebekah 14, Logan 13, Christian 8, Ethan 7 and Adan 07/15/08
Old 09-05-2008, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewaggonerfamily View Post
Could you elaborate on this? I completely agree with everything you wrote, so I am not baiting you. I realize that you may need to word carefully or PM me because of the UA, but I'd really like to know how the arguments are identical.
Thanks!
My statement :
"And to be quite frank, most of the arguments that are used for limiting the number of children you have are identical to the arguments used to justify abortion. And that is against our beliefs."

"Why get an abortion?"
Here is one link that lists reasons why women get abortions:

Why do women seek abortions?

Now:

"Why use Birth Control?"

~They do not have the financial resources to bring up a child.

~They are not ready for the responsibility of raising a child.

~They feel their life would be changed too much. She might have a plan for her future (education, developing a career, etc.) that does not allow for having a child at the present time.

~Her relationship with her partner is in difficulty.

~They are too young.

~The children are grown and they do not want to start another family.

~They have all the children they can handle, or all the children they want.

~They are afraid that they will have "too many" children.

Oh, and don't forget the old "over population" thing.

Sound familiar? The "reasons" are almost identical. And most of them come back to selfish reasons (MY lifestyle is more important than having another child, My career is more important, it is just the wrong time, I just don't want any more, I paid my dues and now it's time for me to have my life back, etc.) or fear and lack of trust in God (I can't handle more, we can't afford more, etc.).

I think when a person strips away all the excuses they have and go all the way to the core of the reasons for not having a child, in almost all of the cases selfishness or lack of trust in God are the root causes. (I can hear my child asking, "But why?" as I explain something, and I have to keep going deeper until there is no more "why's" left.)

And since selfishness is a sin, anything that springs from selfishness is wrong. And lack of trust in God is also a sin, therefore the same thing applies.

I won't judge anyone for their choices, but most people just accept it as "normal" and never give it a moments thought.

And I am not saying that there may not be a legitimate reasons for preventing a child, but I really believe it is something that should never be taken lightly and that before one does so, they should dig really deep to find the core of their reasoning.

Why are they really opposed to trusting in God for their fertility? What are they basing their decision on? Because a decision in a Christian's life should not be based on sin or fear.

Anyways, that is my "theology" behind my comment. Hope it answered your question.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:14 AM

we're a good-sized family now ... 4 little ones 5 and under! i don't know if there will be more - probably not, but never say never!

since mine are as close in age as they are it's easy to find activities that work for everyone. what's not easy: getting my house clean! do all of you have an issue with that? mine's not horrible, but i can never get it all clean at once any more.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:23 AM

I just love the part of house cleaning where you spend hours making it look really nice, and then the children enter the room, and poof! In five minutes, it looks like you haven't cleaned in weeks!

Most days, I am just happy if I can see the floor!

Old 09-05-2008, 01:38 PM

Jenny, thanks for your birth control-related post ... that is how I have felt for years but dh and i are struggling with it at the moment - even our pastor feels that bc is not a big deal. and it's scary to be that trusting!
Old 09-11-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post
I just love the part of house cleaning where you spend hours making it look really nice, and then the children enter the room, and poof! In five minutes, it looks like you haven't cleaned in weeks!

Most days, I am just happy if I can see the floor!
I could have written this post!!

Yesterday I spent over an hour in the bathroom. Taking all of the elastics, hair products, brushes and other assorted crap (WHY is the light saber in the bathroom???!?!) off of the counters and back where they go. Picked up the clothing, bath toys and shoes off of the floor too. Left to go grab the detangler in my room, got sidetracked with bum changes (and some other stuff) and came back to A HUGE MESS. Serious, I came back in and the rolls of TP were all over the floor. The elastic/clip bin was emptied on to the counter between the sinks, the brushes were IN the sink and my cloth pads were all over the floor (they were dumped out of their basket in the search for the brushes). Sigh.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMeOhMy View Post

Yesterday I spent over an hour in the bathroom. Taking all of the elastics, hair products, brushes and other assorted crap (WHY is the light saber in the bathroom???!?!) off of the counters and back where they go. Picked up the clothing, bath toys and shoes off of the floor too. Left to go grab the detangler in my room, got sidetracked with bum changes (and some other stuff) and came back to A HUGE MESS. Serious, I came back in and the rolls of TP were all over the floor. The elastic/clip bin was emptied on to the counter between the sinks, the brushes were IN the sink and my cloth pads were all over the floor (they were dumped out of their basket in the search for the brushes). Sigh.
: just writing to say I can relate!
some days I can barely see the kitchen table, when its time to eat diner I am tempted some days to just take the whole table cloth and whatever is on it and dump it in the garbage!

~Susan
widowed from Marc Nov. '09(love you more babe) mom to Sophia (9) Emma (8) Lily (5) :

Old 09-11-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMeOhMy View Post

I only have three kids, so I am a lurker here...but I just wanted to say I can relate to this too! I KNOW that when relatives enter our home they think to themselves that I suck at housecleaning...when in fact I spend several hours doing it every day. But both my older kids are so messy, they just go right behind me and mess up what I've cleaned! The bathroom is especially bad. It never smells fresh no matter how much I clean, because my 3 year old ds likes to pee on the floor! :

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif
Old 09-11-2008, 01:24 PM

OMG I know! My DH, and my friends without large families have no idea about how fast the mess gets made. It can literally happen in the 5 minutes I am showering, or taking a potty break and then !%#*KABLOOEY!&$@#! the hour of work I just did is obliterated.

homebirthing,,homeschooling intactalactivist mom to 3dd jumpers.gifand 2dsbouncy.gif.babyf.gifAlways busy
Old 09-11-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentamomma View Post
!%#*KABLOOEY!&$@#!
I'm just : over here over that word/sound.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillpicklechip View Post
The bathroom is especially bad. It never smells fresh no matter how much I clean, because my 3 year old ds likes to pee on the floor! :
i have 4 boys. i have yet to figure out how it is that 5 minutes after i scrub the entire bathroom -walls, floors, toilet and all- it smells like a cage at the zoo again! i keep swearing that the next toilet we get, i'm gonna paint a bullseye in the bowl. dh doesn't believe me. i keep telling him "you just watch me!"

as far as the rest of the house... i am sick right now and i just don't care. obviously, dh doesn't either, as he is snoring, loudly, on the couch behind me, rather than pick up the cr@p off the living room floor. oh well, as long as i can get to the kitchen and the bathroom, i'll worry about the rest of it later

"give me life, give me pain, give me myself again" - tori amos
30yo SAHM of 4 DS's: 10/98, 6/01, 2/03 and 11/04, wife to DH, 33
Old 09-12-2008, 09:00 AM

I am glad to see these housekeeping posts. I fell like I am cleaning All. The. Time. and am never done.There are 6 of us, plus a big dog, all in a small house - it's a never ending battle. The worst for me is the floors - ceramic tile & hardwoods upstairs, carpet downstairs. I vacum the whole house about every other day, and wash the floors about once a week, but it could use so much more. And yes, I too get very annoyed w/cleaning up everyone's mess in the bathroom! Oh, and the crumbs (all over the table, chairs, floor) everywhere after a meal or snack is a big pet peeve. (I must say "please eat over your plate" 10x/day!) I work pretty hard at teaching the kids to clean up after themselves, put one toy away before they get out another, clean up the playroom before bed, etc. For the most part they do pretty well if I stay on them about it. But sometimes it's just quicker & easier to do it myself.

Thanks for letting me get that vent out!

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
Old 09-12-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewaggonerfamily View Post
And... yes, we know what causes it, whipped cream and sleeping children!

That made me laugh out loud.. too funny

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)

User Tag List