tribe for large families/mamas of many kids? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 419 Old 09-10-2006, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
magentamomma, Congratulations on your future arrival!

When we were having four, we got a lot of the same "it'll be your last" stuff too, but after three more, we no longer get that! Now we just get, "Not Again!"

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 419 Old 09-11-2006, 01:22 AM

Location: State of confusion at just about every turn, Or Louisiana
Greetings mamas, I'm Angie, a mom to 9 kidlets. Yes, I was an only child for about 11years. Some days it is really hard doing the things that I need to do, like the laundry. But for the most part, I love being the mommy of such great kids. Dh is the nutter that wants more, I'm not so sure. I hope that we can keep this thread alive or at least have one started on a regular basis. Oh, BTW, I still don't drive. Hoping to start again soon.

angie
#63 of 419 Old 09-11-2006, 02:01 AM

Hello everyone! I saw the title of this thread and thought,"Ok, that sounds like where I would fit in!"

We have 10 kids and #11 is due next month. It will be 7 girls and 4 boys then!

My dh grew up in a large family but with me it was just myself and an older sister so having lots of kids was an adjustment for me. It just keeps getting better and better, though!

I'm loving this thread. It is soo nice to hear of other large families!
#64 of 419 Old 09-11-2006, 02:08 AM

How old was everyone when they had their first child (or children in my case)?

I was 24 when I had my twins. I'm 33 now.
#65 of 419 Old 09-11-2006, 02:09 AM

I don't fit into the big famiy yet but we will soon! I am pg with our third and we are working on adoption of a sib group so we could have 5-6 in the next year!

I just wanted to respond to the car issue. We just bought a limo! It sounds crazy but it is so much fun. It holds 9 total and all sholder belts, gets 18-20mpg. It has dark tinted windows (no sun in the eyes) and the front and back have seperate AC, heat, and sterios, but I have master controls, and it is so comfortable to drive! Best of all limos are cheap to buy because once they are a few years old noone wants them! When we out-grow this one we will just get a 12-17 person!

We might be crazy but we travel in style!!!
#66 of 419 Old 09-11-2006, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggijessie
We might be crazy but we travel in style!!!
:

About my age. I was 19 when I gave birth to my first, I was 35 when I had my last one (not my "last" baby, I hope).

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#67 of 419 Old 09-11-2006, 06:53 AM

VeggiJessie -- how cool to drive a limo!! You must get some looks!

About my age -- I was 28 when my first was born and 37 when we had the last so far

Having 5 children sounds like a small family on this thread
#68 of 419 Old 09-11-2006, 10:07 AM

I was 18 when I had my first and I just turned 32 a little over a week ago.

COOL a LIMO!! I have never riden in a limo before!
#69 of 419 Old 09-11-2006, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We only have three kids of our own. We also have a roommate with two kids where the mom is rarely home (she seems to always take jobs that are a two hour bus ride away, so she has a 12 hour workday). And I do childcare here.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#70 of 419 Old 09-11-2006, 01:00 PM

Hi all, We are a family of 6. DH and I and 4 kids. 3 boys : and finally a girl DH and I are both only children, so it was really important for us to have a big family. (not big by the standards on this thread but big for us onlys) I couldn't imagine life with out my kids. We are having issues with cars too. We have a station wagon, and a cherokee, but they only seat 5 so we never go anywhere all toghther But on the bright side my father is an automotive recycler and he is getting us hooked up with a recycled minivan. I am so excited I actually got really lucky, since the van is a luxury edition, with a tv and heated seats and all the things a family of 6 just can't normally afford on a only one paycheck. On the downside I have been waiting for it for 7 months.

I was 19 when I had my first, and am now 26.

I also get "Are they all yours?" " On the other hand, we also get nicer comments like " OH so many helpers, aren't you lucky." Definatly subbin to this one.

Later yall, Kaara

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=802589268Blissed out Mama of 4 Peace.gif
#71 of 419 Old 09-11-2006, 03:23 PM

I was 16 when I had my 1st and 21 when I had my 4th! I love being young and having the energy and craziness to have loads of fun with my kids! Also, I can remember my childhood so well it helps me to view things from my kids' perspective. It's totally cool! (except for the nasty comments. Oh well.) We drive a Ford Windstar and have room for one more. I love the limo idea! Maybe I can talk dh into it!
#72 of 419 Old 09-11-2006, 04:10 PM

What are some fun things you all do with your kids? Especially the older ones.

My mom didn't do a lot of fun stuff with us growing up so I don't have her example to draw from. She was a single mom so I'm sure that had something to do with it. Part of it was her personality. She was very serious. And got more and more so as we got older. Trying to keep us in line, I guess. Although we did do some fun activities occasionally.

I want to be more consisent with my kids, though. It's easier with the younger ones (3 and 5½) but I'm at a loss with my 8yo twins. You can only play so many card games.

Any ideas?
#73 of 419 Old 09-11-2006, 04:23 PM

Iwas 22 when our twins were born and 29 now. For 2 1/2 years dh and I tried to get pregnant I had an every three years plan. After a year I thought we were infertal Finnally just when I had come to terms with no more babies we got pregnant with this one. I feel so blessed. I fantasize about six, but four is fine if that is all we ever get.

homebirthing,,homeschooling intactalactivist mom to 3dd jumpers.gifand 2dsbouncy.gif.babyf.gifAlways busy
#74 of 419 Old 09-11-2006, 10:18 PM

Welcome to all the new mamas

Now to answer some of the questions posed

Hubby & I both only have an older sister
I've always wanted a bigger family & hubby finally started
agreeing after #3 lol he says his limit is 6
I plan to listen to my body & intution on when I'm done.

I had my 1st when I was 18, turned 19 a few weeks later.
I was 23 for my 2nd
27 (5 days shy of 28) with my 3rd.
will be 32 when new one arrives =)

The biggest reason we don't have more already is because for whatever
reason we take awhile to conceive. My plan was to have my kids
2.5 years apart. Instead their all 4-5 years apart (including #3
& one on the way) lol

~Becky

Wife, Mommy of 4, & Grandma to 1

#75 of 419 Old 09-12-2006, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentamomma
We arre pregnant with our fourth and already having some of our family and friends think we are crazy. They also assume this will/must be our last right!?! I am not dead or menapausal so I cannot guaruntee any thing LOL DH and I both want a big family but I do realize we are entering the place where it will be harder to get invitations to dinner or to be a house guest any where. Plus the car thing we only have one car so if my husband is working I have to rely on friends and it has gotten way to complicated to transport. Oh well My girls are alittle sad that we can't take their friends with us places.
Congrats!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#76 of 419 Old 09-12-2006, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofhercastle
How old was everyone when they had their first child (or children in my case)?

I was 24 when I had my twins. I'm 33 now.
I was 22 (that day actually) when I had Dominick

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#77 of 419 Old 09-12-2006, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveOaks
Hello everyone! I saw the title of this thread and thought,"Ok, that sounds like where I would fit in!"

We have 10 kids and #11 is due next month. It will be 7 girls and 4 boys then!

My dh grew up in a large family but with me it was just myself and an older sister so having lots of kids was an adjustment for me. It just keeps getting better and better, though!

I'm loving this thread. It is soo nice to hear of other large families!
You def fit in!

#78 of 419 Old 09-12-2006, 01:24 PM

Honestly, I wish we had a large family forum here.

There are so many times I have questions that I would like to direct at mamas of many. In tribes they sometimes get lost plus are harder to search for later.

#79 of 419 Old 09-12-2006, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was 16 when I had my first and 21 when I had my third.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#80 of 419 Old 09-12-2006, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofhercastle
What are some fun things you all do with your kids? Especially the older ones.
We are homeschooling so some of these things of course would be easier than if you have kids in school.

1. We go to the park, a lot. I can usually tell when the kids are restless and I will pack them up and go.

2. We have plays and shows. The kids prepare it all, including invitations, and all I have to do is show up. Easy for me, super fun for the kids. I usually make a huge deal over it, clapping and woo hooing, laughing at the funny parts, etc.

3. We play games like tag, red light green light, simon says, mother may I. I get in on ring around the rosies w/ the 3 little ones. My 2 yr old thinks it is a riot when I fall down too.

4. We have a membership to the local museum and we go there often. They have a fun kids section for the kids and this summer had an activity day w/ story time and crafts.

5. The art museum is free here on Thursdays and we go w/ paper in hand and try to recreate the art work we see there. The kids love this.

6. The older kids help me cook. They love to grate cheese, peel boiled eggs, crack the eggs in a bowl for scrambled eggs and chop veggies in my Tupperware spinning chopper thingy.

7. We read chapter books together. I try to make funny voices for the characters, but I am not too good at it. The kids think it is the funniest thing ever.

Those are a few things I can think of off the top of my head. Just enjoy them, pay attention to them. Find things in your everyday life that are fun.
#81 of 419 Old 09-13-2006, 01:59 PM

Checking in again now that we are six! Our fouth little person arrived on the
2nd September so we don't fit in our car altogether anymore but we are all so happy to have her here with us on the outside now.

I was 19 when I had my first and I'm 33 now. I've almost had 2 in my twenties and two in my thirties. Dh would like another and I might do too but ask me in another couple of years! My pregnancies are getting more complicated and my births more difficult and we are getting poorer not richer since dh started his own business!

Dh and I have one sibling each and aren't close to either of them. Dh had an older brother who died as ababy and he wonders if things would have been different in his family had there been three children not just him and his sister. We hope that our children will be able to feel close to one or other of their siblings at any point in time and will be able to have fun together.

My older boys are 13 and 9 and boy do they eat: Babies are virtually free for the first year or so don't you find? If only I could feed the whole family on breastmilk
#82 of 419 Old 09-13-2006, 03:03 PM

I really do not know how to get around this board but this one caught my eye. I am a mom of 5 and another on the way and a stepdaughter that does not live with us. So a total of 7! I was 21 with my first who is now 16.5 and my youngers is 20 months and hte baby is due March of 2007. WE use to have 2 cars and a van but we just have the van now. We need to find a 8-9 passenger van/suv,etc. I just do not know what to get and what is beston SPACE and GAs. Any suggestions? I did come across w website with snappy combacks to people making comments about large families. At my church where the usual comment is don't you know what causes that? I respond with.. I finally found something I am really good at and you want me to STOP! It normally leaves them laughing uncomfortablly. My fustration right now is dealing with different age groups..teens, preteens, toddlers, and infants. I feel like I am the only one doing any of the work arond here! Any other websites for families like ours and any on homeorganization, etc?

Michelle
#83 of 419 Old 09-14-2006, 01:47 PM

Please read my previous post need websites, books, etc.

Thank You
Michelle
#84 of 419 Old 09-15-2006, 02:54 AM

Here are few websites I came up with:

MOMYS I don't know if you've heard of it but it stands for Mothers of Many Young Siblings.

Large Family Logistics This is geared toward homeschooling families but it can still help you even if you don't homeschool.

Get Organized Now! Love this one! It has a lot of great suggestions about organizing your home and family.

Hope this helps!
#85 of 419 Old 09-15-2006, 03:05 AM

This woman in Connecticut just gave birth to her fifth child and he is HUGE! Here's the article. At this rate, the next one might just walk out!
#86 of 419 Old 09-17-2006, 04:09 PM

queenofhercastle.. thanks for the great wesbite's you posted. That is just what I needed, feeling a little unorganized and overwhelmed today!

Vicki- Homeschooling Mama to 4 girls
#87 of 419 Old 09-17-2006, 11:00 PM

Subbing too!

We have 3 with one in the making. Since the beginning we knew we would at least have 4 though dh has always said 6. I have always told everyone 6 so they can just stop asking if we were planning on having more. Of course they still ask! When I was making the round of phone calls after #2 was born my grandmother told me I should stop now. This woman a mother of 5 herself. We always get the comments but it doesn't bother me a bit. One little old lady came up to me at the grocery store and told me I needed to keep on having kids because there were so many ugly babies in the world! I'll just take that as she thinks big families are nice

I come from a family with 4 children and dh from a family of 6. Unfortunately dh doesn't talk to a single sibling and I live 2000 miles from my sisters so it doesn't feel like we have a huge extended family but I want that for my children when they are older. There is nothing like family. You just can't replace them!

Glad to have found this thread!

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#88 of 419 Old 09-20-2006, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanielayne View Post
There is nothing like family. You just can't replace them!
Amen

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#89 of 419 Old 09-28-2006, 04:24 PM

wow, I killed this thread.

What is the best tip out there for you to keep everyone/thing organized?

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#90 of 419 Old 09-28-2006, 05:10 PM

Hi, I'm new! I'm due with baby #7 (a boy!) in February!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page