I’m so happy I was raised in different culture… - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-31-2006, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh man . . I want her to come babysit us . . . .

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2006, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We also had a fantastic Russian babysitter for a time in NJ. Much better than my MIL (also Russian) actually. Unfortunately we haven't been able to find anyone like her here for the occasional baby sit.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:29 PM

Russia is an enormous country, and the US is a pretty large one as well. Perhaps there are many different childraising/birthing ideas throughout both countries...I've found just as many AP mamas as supposed "mainstream" mamas here in the US...I don't know, I don't know anything about Russia but it was just a random thought...
Old 09-02-2006, 02:23 PM
EVC

Quote:
The other thing during pregnancy was wierd was that almost every woman in my due date club living in Russia was either hospitalized at some point or threatened with hospitalization for "low fluid". One woman was induced at 39 weeks for "big baby" (he was around 10 lbs, so that would have happened here also) and an "aging placenta". She ended up with a c-section. Many women were induced by AROM. My Russian friend who lives nearby us here in VA was also induced by AROM in early labor, though she had a very straightforward birth.
Yes, medical interventions are very much on the rise--especially the sokhranenie--and it is pretty much impossible to get decent care now without paying bribes. I actually gave birth in Armenia, not Russia, but I lived in Russia and later Ukraine for several years and have heard real horror stories about giving birth from friends there

Definitely breastfeeding is more common (although my Ukrainian SIL didn't breastfeed, but said she had wanted to) and circ is only done for religious reasons, but babywearing still gets you some nasty looks (my Ukrainian MIL actually yelled at me for it), very few people use carseats, etc. So there are certainly pluses and minuses. As for nutrition, I think it has changed a lot. Generally they probably still eat better (less processed foods), but many people still have very limited understanding about basic health and what actually does and does not cause illness.

Quote:
I LOVE that they still don’t use dopplers routinely as it’s done here.
This is probably changing too--I know they are already routinely used in Armenia, for example.

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)

User Tag List