Another mother yelled at me at bus stop - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

#91 of 102 Old 09-05-2006, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
if it were me i would also be calling animal control- to touch base with what her son said.. and the fact that this is an unleashed animal in the yard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 102 Old 09-05-2006, 06:21 PM

this woman is dangerous and will take this dog and make it a deadly weapon.
do you live where there are animal police? with full power like detroit has ? or arizona?

can you call anon or some other neighbor call anon to have animal control drive by?
#93 of 102 Old 09-05-2006, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Too bad that scary woman is mad at you, but of course you had to protect your kids.

Are your kids black? If they are, that boy's comment should be taken as a death threat, and the police, not animal control, should be involved.

*HUGS* So sorry you are going through this.
#94 of 102 Old 09-05-2006, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainCoastMama
From Rowansmomma's link:

Breeds Involved (in fatal attacks)

Pit Bull and Pit-bull-type dogs (21%), Mixed breed dogs (16%),
Rottweilers (13%), German Shepherd Dogs (9%), Wolf Dogs (5%),
Siberian Huskies (5%), Malamutes (4%), Great Danes (3%),
St. Bernards (3%), Chow Chows (3%), Doberman Pinschers (3%),
other breeds & non-specified breeds (15%).

Hmm. Pit Bulls are almost double that of rotties, and 5% points HIGHER than the next type of animal. Stats don't lie. You were absolutely correct in doing what you did.
But did you also read that they took into account the numbers of pits that are kept as pets? Pits are more popular than many of these other breeds that had lower percentages of "attacks". You must read the entire article.

Again, I'll say that I dont think any dog should be at the bus stop........and I wouldn't discriminate. Pit or poodle..........and btw, poodles are more likely to bite than pits. I know this from being a vet tech for 8 years.
#95 of 102 Old 09-05-2006, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellesmommy
Too bad that scary woman is mad at you, but of course you had to protect your kids.

Are your kids black? If they are, that boy's comment should be taken as a death threat, and the police, not animal control, should be involved.

*HUGS* So sorry you are going through this.
:
#96 of 102 Old 09-06-2006, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My kids aren't black, but many of our neighbors are so the comment seems very threatening to me. The family lives on the same block as a middle school with a very diverse population - there are many african american and other children of color who will need to walk past the house each day.

I found out from Animal Control that it is legal to have a dog off of the leash without a fence on your own property in my county --- this is true regardless of breed. I am not calling animal control because the dog hasn't actually DONE anything wrong.

As for the differences in breeds...I have given this sooo much thought over the past week. Rowansmommy mentioned that from her perspective working with dogs, poodles are more likely to bite than pit bulls...I guess the question is whether it matters as much if a poodle bites you??? Maybe the issue with pit bulls and other strong breeds is that they might be equally as likely to bite as a cocker spaniel or some other small high strung dog, but that they do so much more damage. All of the dogs mentioned in that article on fatalities were large...though some of the MOST popular large breeds (retrievers, labs, setters, etc) didn't make the list because my guess is that they actually are LESS LIKELY to bite. Not that I am saying they won't ever bite in any situation, but there is a chance that some breeds have "earned" their reputations.

Anyway, I will continue to not take my golden retriever to the bus stop and I agree with many of you that I really don't think it is a good place for any dog, but truthfully I wouldn't be afraid to see a poodle or other small dog there : I don't want my kids to get bite or end-up with stitches, but I don't think those dogs have the ability to kill or SEVERLY injure my children like this woman's dog does.

Thanks for all of the feedback --- I have never started a thread on MDC that so many people were interested in

BJ
Barney & Ben
#97 of 102 Old 09-06-2006, 02:20 PM

Ditto RubyV, it's up to you whether you want your kids petting ANY dog, let alone a Pit.

I do think I would explain it to her later.
#98 of 102 Old 09-06-2006, 07:18 PM

were the standard ? When I worked at the groomers I had one female that should have been muzzled when we worked on her.
I always tried to get the other bather to take her because she ALWAYS tried to bite and she had pretty big jaws and I was sure one day would be it in the arm department.
#99 of 102 Old 09-06-2006, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmonkeys
My kids aren't black, but many of our neighbors are so the comment seems very threatening to me. The family lives on the same block as a middle school with a very diverse population - there are many african american and other children of color who will need to walk past the house each day.

I found out from Animal Control that it is legal to have a dog off of the leash without a fence on your own property in my county --- this is true regardless of breed. I am not calling animal control because the dog hasn't actually DONE anything wrong.

As for the differences in breeds...I have given this sooo much thought over the past week. Rowansmommy mentioned that from her perspective working with dogs, poodles are more likely to bite than pit bulls...I guess the question is whether it matters as much if a poodle bites you??? Maybe the issue with pit bulls and other strong breeds is that they might be equally as likely to bite as a cocker spaniel or some other small high strung dog, but that they do so much more damage. All of the dogs mentioned in that article on fatalities were large...though some of the MOST popular large breeds (retrievers, labs, setters, etc) didn't make the list because my guess is that they actually are LESS LIKELY to bite. Not that I am saying they won't ever bite in any situation, but there is a chance that some breeds have "earned" their reputations.

Anyway, I will continue to not take my golden retriever to the bus stop and I agree with many of you that I really don't think it is a good place for any dog, but truthfully I wouldn't be afraid to see a poodle or other small dog there : I don't want my kids to get bite or end-up with stitches, but I don't think those dogs have the ability to kill or SEVERLY injure my children like this woman's dog does.

Thanks for all of the feedback --- I have never started a thread on MDC that so many people were interested in

BJ
Barney & Ben
Well, you are absolutely right that size matters!! Heck yeah, if you get bit by a chihuahua, its not going to be a major catastrophe.....but if a big dog bites you, you could end up in a serious situation. And of course the strength of the dog is taken into consideration too. My point was that usually smaller breeds are more likely to bite, however when a large breed bites they are more likely to do serious damage.

Regardless of all of this information, questionable dogs do not belong at a bus stop with children. I dont care how friendly the neighbor's lab is. He is still a dog. Sure, my peke would be easily controlled if she got fussy but a big dog isn't.

I think better safe than sorry in this situation. I'd have handled it the same way I'm sure.
#100 of 102 Old 09-08-2006, 12:46 PM

Sorta off-topic, but my really good buddy has an American Bulldog, which is squattier and heavier than your standard pit bull.

Anyway, I was visiting him in April with my 3 year old and one year old. Moira (the dog) kept barking at the baby every time she was on the floor, so I made sure she wasn't near the dog when I put her down. She didn't make any rushes at the baby, but the barking (accompanied by a puzzled look) made me very, very nervous.

My buddy got really offended, "I don't think she'll bite the baby!" and other comments. I finally hauled off and told him, "Dude, I don't CARE if I'm hurting your feelings, she's a bulldog and if she bites Sarah, it'll be the LAST thing she does!" He got really huffy but made no more comments.

He apparently thought that I was being "paranoid" about his dog "maybe" biting my daughter. I wasn't about to take the chance of a 40 pound bulldog up against an 18 pound baby.

This is a dog that when she makes a mistake and you swat her, she completely ignores it. He's even admitted that when she gets into something she shouldn't (say, trash or a sock she's chewing on), he has slapped her hard enough to make his hand sting for a half hour and she completely ignores him.

He's resorted to twisting her lip to get her attention. : So even he knew that if Moira decided to take a chunk out of Sarah, we'd have to club her over the head with a tire iron to get her to let go. :

So I think you did the right thing. I've had dogs all my life and they are unpredictable. Even Labs, which I own now. They're dogs, they're not people, and you have to get over yourself if people are worried they might hurt their kids...because they might!
#101 of 102 Old 09-08-2006, 01:00 PM

dunno about you but I'd be attacked by a pom any day. it's one thing to be bitten. it's another to have your body ripped apart. I had a pit bull.

Great dog. Friendly, smart as a whip, easy to train. She'd hang out with everyone in our group of teens to mid 20s and never, ever exhibited the slightest sign of aggression to any of us, or other dogs, even Chihuahuas.

Until you'd have her in the car at the gas station, and an elderly person or small child would walk by. Then she'd begin this low growl, never taking her eyes off them. Or a man in uniform- she'd flip out. Never did she have any negative experiences with any of the types of humans she found threatening. It was just in her nature.

My mom had a little bichon that could be pretty nasty when he had a bone or toy he liked. I'd rather have tried grabbing him in a bad mood before I'd pet a pit bull I didn't know. A dog on a leash feels cornered. If they are used to kids and known to be good with them, the risk is minimal. But it's still there. The vast majority of dog bites to a child are on the face. Don't know about others but my pit bull could hold her own weight by her jaw, it'd take two people standing at the end of a pole and you'd lift it off the ground, she'd be dangling there by the mouth, never letting go. She must've weighed 130, easy. Do the math. I don't want that jaw, on an unpredictable animal, on my kid. I adore balanced, trained pit bulls. Still don't trust them around kids- the risk is too high, much higher than other breeds that they will bite and much higher that the bite will be a life-threatening one.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#102 of 102 Old 09-08-2006, 01:26 PM

the poms didn't only attack they killed the infants.
I wouldn't want any dog pit, lab, boxer, poodle (standard or small), dane, collie, sheltie etc being where it shouldn't when it shouldn't like the pit in the op.
but the pit in the op is just going to end up one of those that continues to perpetuate the breed stereotype because no one is going to understand that its the owner.
a people aggressive pit is NOT NORMAL. they are dog aggressive yes. A people aggressive pit is not.
If rose ever became people aggressive for some freak reason we know that means she needs to be put down immediately.
This woman at the bus stop is going to DELIBERATELY make that pit people aggressive.
and its potentially preventable. And what could have been a good pet for someone is going to in the end just have to be destroyed.

and the OP and her neighbors are going to have worry about being safe in the neighborhood from this woman and her dog when they shouldn't have to.

And I am just wasting my breath so I will just get off the

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page