Should Dylan go see Dylan? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Should Dylan go see Dylan?
Take her to see her namesake 36 75.00%
Leave her with the grandparents 3 6.25%
Leave her with the lactating neighbor 0 0%
Stay home and listen to Bob Dylan CDs 8 16.67%
Other 1 2.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-02-2003, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My favorite singer in the entire world (Bob Dylan) will be playing about an hour from my house in May. The problem is- my daughter Dylan will only be about 3.5 months old. I have only left her about five times, once with my father and the rest with my husband. She would not take a bottle from either of them, and I was only gone for an hour and a half at the most. We havent seen Bob Dylan in concert since 1998, and there probably may not be too many more opportunities. I am torn between taking dd and leaving her. If we brought her we would sit in the lawn where it wouldnt be as loud and bring ear plugs as well as an umbrella to protect against sun or rain. But I am still worried it may damage her ears. If we left her, my parents would love to have her, but I am worried she wouldnt take a bottle all night and would be hungry and miserable. My neighbor has daughter 2 days older than Dylan, so she could watch her and breastfeed her if it came down to that, but she is pretty irresponsible. She often forgets about appointments, and I am worried that she wouldn't be around when we were ready to take Dylan over there. Or we could just not go. What would you do?

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2003, 04:07 PM

I voted to take her. I'd really make sure I was pretty far from the amplifiers though and also go with the idea that you may not get to stay for the whole show.
I think it would be neat to tell her she got to go she her namesake when she was a baby.

edited to add: if you decide you don't want to take her, wouldn't you have enough time to get her used to drinking ebm out of a sippy cup or bottle?
Old 04-02-2003, 04:08 PM

If you think your daugther would be pretty happy with going, I say take her. Sitting farther away and bringing earplugs should be plenty of precaution, I think.
I wish that more people would just live their lives and bring their children with them, rather than excluding them from adult activities.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:32 PM

i don't think i have enough posts to vote, but i say definitely bring her! i love having ds around music- especially the folky stuff i usually go see in concert. i took him w/ me to see james taylor when he was about 6 months old. . .spread out a blanket out on the lawn and it was great!
i've also taken him to folk festivals, which he seems to love.
i don't know what the venue is, but you probably don't want to be stuck in a seat that you've paid a ton of money for. . .cheaper seats at the back where you can spread out, even have a stroller or something for dylan to sleep in. . .
i was really hesitant about taking ds to that first concert too. i agree w/ mrs meg though that living your life w/ your kid is a good thing. also, if we keep bringing our kids to places like this (obviously only safe places, i'm not advocating smoky little bars or whatever), then it encourages kid-friendly attitudes around us, imo.
good luck!
oh, dylan is MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE also! i saw him when he and paul simon toured together a few years ago.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:35 PM

take her! she's still little enough where you can just hold her and enjoy the concert, as long as she's not bothered by the noise. there's no way in hell i would take my 18 month old to a crowded place like that since i would be chasing her and not able to enjoy the concert.
GO! what if it's his last one?
Old 04-02-2003, 05:19 PM

I've taken my oldest daughter to several concerts--she loved it~

Most recently, I went to a Dar Williams concert. I didn't take my kids (was pg with dd #2) but saw a wonderful couple with their three month old--they had her ears plugged up to reduce the sound. She was happy as a clam in her sling!

Do it now while she is still little and can be easily packed around!

Jesse

PS have fun, girl!
Old 04-02-2003, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Cool! We're all going will she need her own ticket? I wouldn't have been able to enjoy myself without her anyway.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

Old 04-02-2003, 06:12 PM

Take her! I can't imagine she'd need her own ticket.

I missed out on seeing The Proclaimers play way back in 1990 when I was in college. I had to study????!!!??? Egad. I've regretted it ever since.

Want to take my own 12 month old ds to hear David Sedaris this weekend, but DH says he doesn't think so. Oh well!
Old 04-02-2003, 09:30 PM

I voted for definitely seeing him with the little one!

The only thing I could think of, is what if Dylan starts crying, not interested, etc. Bring some diversions.

Oooh, how exciting!

~~~Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul...you've got to run like a lamb queen out of control~~~
Old 04-02-2003, 09:40 PM

Your dd is at a good age to take her! Just sling her and nurse her! I'm sure she will love Dylan. If she gets fussy stand up and rock her or walk around.

If you put her in a sling she won't need a ticket. She won't take up a seat!

Enjoy the concert.....I envy you!

Old 04-03-2003, 12:54 AM

I agree, this is a perfect age to take her, and Dylan is a good show to take her to - won't be too crazy. I wanted to take Cole to a Phish show this summer but upon reflection decided it might be a tad too raucous for him. But I would definitely take him to see Dylan.

Have fun!
Old 04-03-2003, 12:57 AM

Quote:
The only thing I could think of, is what if Dylan starts crying, not interested, etc.
For a second, I thought you meant Bob, not baby.
Old 04-03-2003, 01:19 AM

We took ds to see Dylan, Van Morrison and Joni Mitchell when he was 4 mos. It was quite a show. Joni sang him to sleep!

We see lots of music with the kids (summertime=outside venues) and they have never needed a ticket.

Have Fun! Don't forget to save the ticket for her baby book!
Old 04-03-2003, 01:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I took lily to see indigo girls (much louder than Dylan) when she was 6 weeks old. She was fine. A little over stimulated but fine. Just bring some ear plugs and have a good time.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 04-03-2003, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gr8flmom
will she need her own ticket?
If you call the venue they will be able to tell you for sure. Some places you do, some you don't.

Have fun!!!
Old 04-03-2003, 07:44 PM

Very cool that you decided to take her! For dh and I, it is important to take dd with us to concerts because music is something we enjoy so much. We are taking dd to see Dave Matthews Band in June. She will be 16 mos. at the time and I think she will have a blast! It will be her first big concert, except for Radiohead, which she heard in-utero! I can't imagine that you'd need a ticket for your dd. Oh, and Bob Dylan is one of dh's all-time favorites too! I think the last time we saw him was in '96!
Old 04-03-2003, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I took lilyka to two concerts when she was a baby. neither on required her to have a ticket. It never even crossed my mind. I think so long as they don't need seats.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 04-03-2003, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doodlebugsmom
We are taking dd to see Dave Matthews Band in June. She will be 16 mos. at the time and I think she will have a blast!
okay, THIS is bizarre! we took Aidan to his first concert, Dave Matthews Band, last summer (another outdoor concert) and he had a blast. i had him in the sling and he slept and i could dance!! i LOVED it! (and doodlesbugsmom, our babies are days apart in age....hmmm)

amy
Old 04-04-2003, 12:53 PM

I am glad that you are taking her. We took dd to a Janes Addiction concert when she was 5 months old. We sat in the lawn section, brought earplugs and she ended up falling asleep When I called to get the tickets, they said that children under a certain age don't need tickets
Old 04-05-2003, 05:56 PM

Totally off the subject, but I really love the name Dylan for a girl. (sorry, i'm preg and constantly thinking of names...)
Old 04-05-2003, 11:35 PM

My brother went to see Bob at five months. He loved it. She'll be fine, I wouldn't worry about her ears.
Old 04-07-2003, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by djschrader
Want to take my own 12 month old ds to hear David Sedaris this weekend, but DH says he doesn't think so. Oh well!
Go to David Sedaris!!! Surely a 12 mo old will be enthralled! I'm jealous!

We had tickets to take our boys with us to a Phish show a few years back, and wound up giving the tickets away because our older son was ill We were all bummed, our children love live music. We were all sad to discover there would be no Spring SCI show in Austin...I think the next live music we see will be the Kerrville Folk Festival. (Sorry if I'm speaking Greek)

Edited because I forgot the whole point of this post...Yes! Take her to see Dylan. Surely that would be a wonderful, mellow concert

User Tag List