Question about toys and gender - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-02-2003, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there
I have an 18 month old son. He is very energetic and loves playing with balls, blocks, colouring, and reading. He will have a brother or sister arriving in about 5 months. I am just wondering about toys. I know that he loves to imitate what dh and I do. He loves to help us clean, garden, etc. Many of his toys seem to be related to 'boy things' like sports or construction... Should I get him a doll? I know this might sound confused - I am confused. Thanks in advance to anyone who can share some wisdom.

Emma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2003, 07:13 PM

I'd get him the things he likes. If you think he'd like a doll, then get one My ds has a doll named "Jack". He loves to dress/undress him, but doesn't really 'nurture' him like many girls do. He also likes to give him rides in the little stroller. He also loves kitchen sets, doll houses, paper dolls - but also loves Tinker Toys, Legos, trucks, Rescue Heros, etc. One of his favorite toys is plain old padlocks! He loves locking/unlocking them

If your son is anything like mine, he won't play with something he's not interested in So I'd just take him to the toy store and check some stuff out

I'm probably not much help - sorry about that.
Old 04-02-2003, 07:33 PM

I'd get him a doll as well. Even if he doesn't play with it now, he may when the new baby comes.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

Old 04-03-2003, 01:10 AM

I vote to get him a doll too. You may as well have one because even if he never touches it your next child may. So, I would get one and see if he likes it. I think it is good to expose them to a little of everything.
Old 04-03-2003, 01:20 AM

We've sort of taken the path of exposing 4yo dd (whose name is also Emma) to a little of everything, as 2much2luv mentioned, without placing higher value on any one category of toy. Dd has a pretty good balance of toys stereotypically favored by both genders... but tends to prefer role-playing toys - babies, kitchen stuff, cash register, etc.

And I vote for the doll in light of the arrival of the new baby...
Old 04-03-2003, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone - I will get him a doll. My gut sense tells me that it might help with the transition (to not being the only centre of the universe in the house!) AND I hate the idea of only having 'boy toys' around

THanks,

Emma
Old 04-03-2003, 06:37 PM

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes --- get him a doll. This was how we got our son ready when I was pregnant with number two. We waited until I only had about two months left, simply because kids that age have no concept of time and I didn't want to be talking about the new baby for six months. If you can find one, get a doll that is about the same size as a real dol. It doesn't have to be 20 inches and 8 pounds, but not one of those really tiny ones either. It is a bonus if it is all plastic or rubber so you can do things like dress it, and bathe it. We got one from Target that was 15 inches, though it had a cloth body and rubber arms. We couldn't submerge it in the tub, but we would let him wash it's arms and legs with a damp washcloth. It also came with a little foldable stroller and baby items.

It was such a good way to get him ready for the baby. I showed him how to do all the things with his doll that we would do with the baby. He nursed his doll, fed his doll, bathed his doll, pushed it around the mall, slept with it, etc. It went with us everywhere. Then he wanted more dolls and a double stroller. He is now going through a nuturing period again, and one of his dolls goes with us everywhere, as does his little brother and his doll. I am the only mom around pushing my stuff in a stroller with my two boys hauling around their big dolls. Their favorite doll is the Miracle Baby which coos, cries, takes a bottle, but thankfully the batteries are dead and the boys don't seem to care.

Funny thing is that my 4 1/2 year old has been so much more caring of his little brother since he has started taking his "maggie" with him everywhere. He is so caring of the doll, talking to it, telling it he loves it, and it has carried over to how he treats his 2 1/2 yo brother. He is telling him how much he loves him, sharing his toys with him, his snacks with him, hugging him, you get the idea. I think the love my boys have for their dolls is wonderful.

User Tag List