when did you start reading to your child? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-13-2003, 02:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have read to dd on and off since she was born, but in the last month have added Goodnight Moon to our bedtime routine (she's 4.5 months) and tried to read more during the day. Now when we lay down for bed, we both lay on our backs and I read to her and she pays attention the whole time. As soon as I say The End and put the book down, she rolls to her side to nurse, but not before the book is over! DH also found Goodnight Moon on HBO the other day as part of some 1/2 hour kids story thing and Tivo'd it. Now if she's having a hard time calming down at night we play the goodnight moon segment and she settles to watch it. She doesn't watch any other tv, so I think she recognizes this story (the pictures are like animations right out of the book). She has some patience for board books during the day. 2 days ago she surprised me by not only sitting through the Cat in the Hat and paying attention, but jabbering along with me through the whole book (and that's kind of a long book!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2003, 04:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I actually read the entire book "Little Women" to Chase while he was still in the womb. He came out loving to be read to and still does at 17 months. He actually brings books to me several times a day saying "Ree, ree!" (Read) He has an awesome vocabulary, as well, which I contribute partially to loving books so much and partially to the fact that I am about the most talkative person on the entire planet. :-)

My suggestion to you would be to give your baby a book to look at, rip, whatever (a board book, like you said, if you don't want it completely shredded), while you read to her from another. It works with my wild-child niece!

I do think that reading can help with vocabulary and speech, but as long as you are talking to your baby a lot, that probably has a similar, probably even better effect.
Old 04-13-2003, 04:38 AM

Piglet, don't feel guilty! Dd #2 is the same age as your dd and loves to eat books. As for reading them, she's so different to her big sister, who would sit and listen avidly from birth, it seemed. The baby hears stories and language all day long (dd# 1 is never quiet, and I try to read board books to her, but she's so cheeky that it usually becomes a battle to grab the book from my hands and throw it at her sister!

We'll keep trying and I know she'll settle in the end, but all children are different and you can take a horse to water, and all that.

The interesting thing for me is that although the baby isn't having the same language experience as my first child (how could she, as I'm looking after a toddler 24/7 now), she is hitting language milestones at exactly the same age. Although 'Mama' was about word #20 for my first dd, it was the baby's first real word - because she hears her sister say it all day long!

I guess what I'm trying to say is, relax, and enjoy reading when it feels right and your babe starts to enjoy it. They change so fast, one day it may be a disaster, and the next, she will discover the joy of reading with you. I'm sure my baby will eventually decide that books have another use other than as a teether!
Old 04-13-2003, 04:59 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LunaMom
[B]I started at birth. You know how we often read to her? We used to lie on the bed with her alongside us, and hold a book up above our heads! It sounds weird, but she loved it!

We did exactly the same thing Now Gabe is nearly 2 and absolutely adores books.

User Tag List