Collective Living with a baby? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-08-2003, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey. Dp and I live in a collective household with 3 other adults. Our dd is 5 months old and loves our flat mates. We want to move, 'cause our apartment is crappy and expensive, and are hoping to move with the whole crew.

I wonder how it'll work, and I wonder if other folks have lived collectively with their kids, and how it went. Dd is the only child; dp and I are about 5 years older than everyone else.

I guess I'd love to commiserate and also hear about things to watch out for from those who've been there.
#2 of 3 Old 04-08-2003, 10:56 AM

If it works for you....go for it
I had roomies with kids and we laughed about co-parenting and "us" being married. but we really were able to function quite well. i could shower or run to the store and it was nice to cook on my night and be "off" on the others. We all took care of the kids. I miss the friendship and lifestyle. The hubby and I worked and his wife (my best friend)was an "extra mom" when needed.
something like an x-files marathon on tv became an event! we would wait for a commercial and run around like maniacs and do a "chore" like run a load of laundry or a sink of dishes and dash back when the show came back on.
we still talk about building a co-house and getting back "together" someday!

#3 of 3 Old 04-08-2003, 11:50 AM

My parents lived in a house with my mom's sister and another married couple when I was little. I was the only kid until my brother and the other couple's daughter were born. THe babies shared rooms with their paarents and I coslept with my aunt. It was really great. There wwas always someone to play with or to watch me if something came up or my mother's night job overlapped with when my father was getting off of his day shift. I enjoyed and miss the communal lifestyle. Unfortunatly, my dh doesnt like the idea of anyone but us living at our house. We have an extra room and no $$$$$$$$. I would love to rent the room to a good friend and be able to enjoy a roomie again (well, an adult one anyway) as well as make some extra dough.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page