Question about delayed speech evaluation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-08-2003, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For anyone who has had this done with their child, what exactly did it consist of? How do they determine if your child just isn't ready to talk yet, or if they have a delay that needs treatment?

Ds will be 2 in May, and doesn't talk yet. I don't think there is anything wrong at all, but am considering doing an evaluation just to make sure. But he can very shy around strangers, especially those that try to interact with him, so I'm wondering how they would even go about evaluating him? I know his hearing is fine, he understands complex directions, and he expresses himself well. So what would they be looking for?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 04-08-2003, 02:32 PM

They will ask you a lot of questions, to make sure that there is not the issue of them just being shy. They will ask him to do thigns to make sure he understand. A good SLP will take a while to allow the child to warm up, and the testing will feel like playtime to the child. They are quite used to dealing with kids like that, so don't worry too much.
#3 of 13 Old 04-08-2003, 03:01 PM

A friend of mine had her dd evaluated (per request of dr. on 2yr check up). The girl barely said anything but by the time of the evaluation she was talking much more and the lady told her she was just fine.
Which is what I said all along...
They came to her house so that her dd would be more comfortable.

My 22mo doesn't say much of anything either.
I think mine will be just fine, he's just not ready to talk.
#4 of 13 Old 04-08-2003, 03:32 PM

Hi there
My son is 18 months old and has just finished his second appointment iwth the speech therapist. She is great. I debated for a long time contacting her, but I am SO glad I did. The first visit she did an assessment and assessed him with a comprehension level of a 24 month old, but with the oral ability of a 9-12 month old. From what she has said, early intervention is key. My son will likely only need weekly visits for a few months. If I had waited, he might have needed years of help. Even after just two visits, I feel so much more positive. She is giving us really helpful suggestions and tasks to help encourage him.

I know that every child is different, but I htink if you are at all concerned, it doesn't hurt to contact someone... even just your family doctor.

Good luck

Emma
#5 of 13 Old 04-09-2003, 12:31 AM

I agree totally with Emma...if you are at all concerned you should check with a doctor, just to set your mind at ease if nothing else. I had to go outside of my dd's regular doctor to see a speech therapist because he didn't think she needed one but I was still very concerned. Turns out she did and spent years in therapy. Of course she was born with a fairly large cleft palate and had many ear infections. Because of the nature of her cleft palate, she was a candidate for speech problems. BTW, the doctor was wrong about dd's needs another time too. He said she didn't need glasses...she did. Then the doctor on call yelled at me one night for calling him because her ear was bleeding. He said that it was not important enough to call after hours for Needless to say, I switch doctors. : Sorry OT
#6 of 13 Old 04-09-2003, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
As a babe, my parents told me that I stopped talking when I was
a years old b/c my little sister was born. I did not talk for another two years.

Look for some personal trauma; maybe your child is trying to process it.

Looks like that is what I was doing.

I was kind of quiet when I went to school - I did alot of listening and learning.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#7 of 13 Old 04-09-2003, 10:22 AM

My Ds is 25 months old and babbles constantly but only has about 15 words and only my Dh and I can understand them.

We have an evaluation scheduled for April 22. Just found out yesterday. Ds is NOT a quiet child. He wants to communicate but it seems like something between his brain and mouth isn't working right because EVERYTHING is still coming out in gobbledyguk. The evaluation will be done in our home as will any speech therapy he may require. The evaluation itself will mostly be structured play and take about an hour.
#8 of 13 Old 04-09-2003, 10:24 AM

If you don't mind my asking, what prompted you to contact a speech therapist, and what kind of "intervention" is he/she doing with your child?

My daughter is 16 months and doesn't talk at all, except for the occasional and always-coaxed "mama." She does babble all sorts of sounds and she understands everything we say, so I've been trying not to worry.

I can't even imagine what intervention would mean at this point. How do you get a 16-month-old to talk if she just doesn't want to do it?
#9 of 13 Old 04-09-2003, 11:59 AM

#10 of 13 Old 04-09-2003, 12:06 PM

Kristaciel,
I contacted a speech therapist because of a combination of reasons... My gut sense had been telling me that something was wrong - I started speaking when I was 9 months old and my dh started when he was around 12 months old. Mac has lots of friends that are the same age and all of them say more than he does. He has used signs since he was about 10 months old, but lately has just seemed more and more frustrated. Like your daughter, Mac babbles a lot, and does understand most of what we say, but just doesn't try and imitate our sounds or use actual words. My mum, who is a gp, also suggested that I have him assessed - she thought there might be a problem with his hearing. I don't know - I just felt like I should have him checked.

"Intervention" is a strong word... Basically the speech therapist comes here and sits down on our living room floor and basically plays with Mac. She is totally non-threatening and he warmed to her immediately. The first visit she asked me a lot of questions and basically just watched Mac and I interact and played with him a bit. On Tues, when she was here for his second visit, she came in and sat down and pulled out a few toys. Basically she controls the play in a way to encourage him to use words. It is all done in a very positive way. She also gives us strategies to use to encourage him to speak. She did say that he had above average (for what that means) comprehension and motor skills, but that his oral ability is a little delayed.

I don't know I just feel so much better now. Nothing is forced about the process. She did say that because Mac is very confident and because we are so attached (close), that I am able to anticipate all of his needs so he doesn't really have to talk. Most of what we are doing is trying to wait a minute before doing things - just putting in a 'pause' ... giving Mac the chance/opportunity to ask for things.

Feel free to ask any more questions.

Emma
#11 of 13 Old 04-09-2003, 12:54 PM

Thanks, Emma, I appreciate your response.

According to my mom, I was a late talker too--I never babbled much, just started speaking in sentences at around 2. But I also had a very chatty older sister! I'm wondering if Mallory will follow my pattern. We have her 15-month checkup on Friday (a month late!) so I'll see what the pediatrician has to say. I'm inclined to give her a few more months and see what develops.

I have become more aware of the way I talk to Mallory; for example, if she points at her cup, instead of handing it to her and saying, "Here you go," I'll make a point of saying, "Here is your cup," and so forth, just to emphasize the names of things.

One funny thing, though. She used to play the "roll call" game at meals...she'd point at everyone in the room and wait for someone to name the person she was pointing to (Mommy, Daddy, Grampa, etc). One day she was pointing at me and I said, "YOU say it," and she said, "Mama!" I got very excited and said, "Yes, that's right!" And ever since then her enthusiasm for the roll call game has diminished considerably. Maybe she outgrew it, maybe she doesn't like having to do the work herself!
#12 of 13 Old 04-09-2003, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences.

I really do feel like everything is fine, and to be honest, I only worry about it when someone else brings it up.

Quote:
She did say that because Mac is very confident and because we are so attached (close), that I am able to anticipate all of his needs so he doesn't really have to talk. Most of what we are doing is trying to wait a minute before doing things - just putting in a 'pause' ... giving Mac the chance/opportunity to ask for things.
That is totally us. Dh and I know what every little different grunt and point means. And ds is very clear in his communicating - he is persistent and focused. We have tried to start pausing a moment, and saying "tell me what you want", even if we know he wants a cracker. I mean, I don't torture the poor kid or anything, but I've been trying to give him a second before just handing it to him.

And about the roll call game: Every time we are nursing, ds does this with my face. My lips, my eyes, my eylashes, my eyebrow, my hair, my ears, etc. He does it over and over, pointing and saying "uhhhhh" in his high pitched, question like way. Sometimes I ask him what it is, but he doesn't say anything. If I ask him where it is, he can point them all out on me and him. But so far no luck in prompting him.
#13 of 13 Old 04-09-2003, 04:14 PM

My oldest son only had about 50 words in his vocabulary at two -- that includes signs and words. Unfortuately, no one but us knew what the words meant, and often it took us a while to figure them out. His regular doc wasn't worried at all. However, she was out for his two year appt so they squeezed him in with another doc. He about flipped out that he wasn't talking in sentances, and that others couldn't understand the words he was saying. He told us to make an appointment to have his hearing and speach evaluated.

We went in when he was 25 months. We had to wait in the hall for about ten minutes before we started. They attempted to do the hearing check, but he didn't cooperate. She said she was sure he was fine. The speech therapist wasn't there that day, but she told me she would have her call me. I wasn't ever worried and the only reason I did it was because it was free.

I kid you not, literally the next day he started speaking in 5 and 6 word sentances. It was bizarre! He spoke pretty clearly when he said things like, "can I have juice please, mommy?" and "take blue ball outside play?" One day I had a kid who didn't talk, and the next day I had an articulate child who used nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs -- in the proper way. We haven't been able to shut him up since, and he is now almost five with an amazing vocabulary.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page