Is the time change wreaking havoc for anyone else? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-10-2003, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds has had a consistent bedtime, between 7:30-8pm, for a few months now. It was working so well. Brush teeth, pjs, read book, nurse, walk with dh, out in about 20 minutes, no later than 8:00 or 8:15. This left dh and I a couple of hours to do dishes, pick up, start laundry, watch a movie, have a conversation, etc.

Well, ever since Sunday, it is a struggle to get ds to sleep before 9:00 or 9:30. This is unheard of for him. His naps are roughly the same, but it is taking us over an hour of hard time to get him to sleep, and it's leaving no time for dh and I to do anything. By the time we recover from the bedtime exhaustion, do the dishes and pick up, it's time for dh to go to bed. This really sucks. And I can only assume it's going to get worse as it stays lighter later.

Is anyone else having a problem with this? How do you solve it? Is our alone time just over until winter? This is really depressing. We've been hoping and waiting for his nightwaking to get better, but at least we had an easy and consistent bedtime. Now bedtime is late, hard, and he's still nightwaking. Help!
#2 of 13 Old 04-10-2003, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Icedentally I am the one having a hard time adjusting to the change. i have been late for everything this week because it doesn't feel like it is that time already.

Your DS sounds like he is right on schedule. Only poroblem is that the schedule shanged. I would relax for a week and put him to be at 9-9:15. Then start gradually moving it back (5 minutes earlier ever few days) until it is back up at 8:00 - 8:15. If you try to do it suddenly he will resist. His body ois into the groove unfortunately the clock says his groove is supposed to be an hour earlier. Internal clocks have to slowly be reset. Good luck.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#3 of 13 Old 04-10-2003, 01:10 AM

Yup. We finally got DD in a routine of going to bed at 8:30. The last two night she's been going to sleep around 11:30. Oh well, the later she stays up, the later she sleeps in, which means I get to sleep in too.
#4 of 13 Old 04-10-2003, 01:16 AM

ditto! Let me put it to you this way, for the past 3 nights my 14 month old will sleep from 8-10 or 11, then get up (and I mean up in a good mood singing and dancing) and stay up until 4am. I get to watch the early bird news every morning now!!!!!! And, get this, he slept today until 2:30pm. I used to keep these hours in college!
#5 of 13 Old 04-10-2003, 01:23 AM

I find after every time change (fall or spring), it throws off our groove for a few days, sometimes up to a week. Plus, having it stay light so much later, I like to go with the shift. I'd rather have them in bed at 9 and sleeping later I am a night person by nature. And, when (if???) it gets warm here, I like going out after dinner to a park or for a walk and I find that if we do, there's no way we can make an 8 o'clock bedtime. Especially since in the summer, baths everyday are a necessity.

Peace.
#6 of 13 Old 04-10-2003, 01:03 PM

It has been very difficult for us. Dd usually goes to sleep at around 9:30 and wakes up at 8:30. Well, since Sunday she's been staying up until 12-12:30 and sleeping until 10:30! We've missed a couple of activities this week because she won't wake up! She slept until 11:00 this morning, so we won't do a nap today. Hopefully that will get her back on track.
#7 of 13 Old 04-10-2003, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I need to give him a bit of time to adjust. Like so many other child-related things, I guess I just need to surrender to the moment and quit trying to force my agenda. I will try gradually reducing his bedtime, so hopefully we can get it closer to 8 someday again, rather than 9:30.

Wow, a lot of you have some late sleepers! My ds has never slept past 10am in his life, and that hasn't happened since he was a baby. The latest he ever wakes up is 8:30, and that's only if we've had a particularly bad night. He has also never stayed up past 10pm. He's pretty much always been an early to bed early to rise kind of guy. Which works out well for me, because I would rather have some alone time in the evening than extra sleep in the morning (I'm sick and twisted I know).
#8 of 13 Old 04-10-2003, 02:00 PM

Things have changed for us too but I actually like it. Ds used to go to sleep around 8 and now he is going down at 9. He was waking in the morning at 8:30 and now he is waking at 10 or 10:30. I don't mind him going to bed an hour later, dh does not get home until 7 and it gives them an extra hour together. I love sleeping til 10 though. It is heavenly. We don't really have any activites going on though, besdies church on Sunday. I will just set the alarm for that I guess. He is also napping later but that is also better for me because I seem to be more willing to do more housework later in the afternoon.
#9 of 13 Old 04-10-2003, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Try putting heavy blankets or dark sheets over the windows. I put fleece blankets over my kids windows and it is nice and dark in there and they are both going to bed at their normal time again (7-8).

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#10 of 13 Old 04-11-2003, 02:11 PM

I've been exhausted all week! I think it's a combination of things (brother's wedding last weekend, driving to far away rehearsals this week, ds not sleeping well, sick cat sleeping on me. . .)

All I can think about is the nap that I'm going to take when dh gets home this afternoon!
#11 of 13 Old 04-11-2003, 04:26 PM

The time change has messed us up as well.... but it is getting better. We are still putting ds (18 months old) to bed at the same time. We always lie down with him until he falls asleep. Before the time change, we would lie down with him at 8:00 and he was fast asleep by 8:10. Alas... this week has been hard. The first night we were with him until 9:30 ... last night he was asleep by 8:00. I think the key is consistancy.

Good luck

Emma
#12 of 13 Old 04-11-2003, 05:59 PM

Dd has blackout shades over her windows so the bedtime issue isn't a problem, but she has been sort of cranky and out of sorts, so maybe the time change is the reason. Sometimes I wish I lived in Arizona!
#13 of 13 Old 04-11-2003, 06:36 PM

OMG!!! We are having the hardest time and now DD is taking long naps at saycare so it is getting worse. Only her naps are the same lenght as the other kids now so my DCP thinks its normal. I told her to wake DD up! I know, I know never wake a sleeping child, but comeon! Last night DD went to bed later than I did!

and she has blackout shades too. After lying sown with ehr for an hour and a half I just go about my business getting ready for bed, and ignore her. She does her thing, and finally went to bed

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page