When does one call the police on carseat issues? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-20-2006, 11:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess I've seen it when visiting relatives in other parts of the country. I know that in Oklahoma I saw three young children just bopping around the back of a pickup truck, and I was shocked. I just do not understand why people who know better (like Potty Diva's coworker) let their kids ride that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2006, 12:21 AM

I live in south central Indiana and see unrestrained children quite often. Today I saw a 2-3yo child sitting in a regular seatbelt.

Several weeks ago my friend saw a child strapped into one of these in a car.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:14 AM

Uh, Michelle...

It DOES have a 3 point restraint system, duh.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:31 AM

Just playing a bit of devil's advocate here.

Even though I am truly horrified when I see children unrestrained or improperly restrained I have to wonder where the line should be drawn at.

I know that this isn't the best comparison... but it shows the slippery slope...

It has been shown over and over again that carseats are safer than not being restrained. It is generally accepted by american society that this is best.
(I have first hand experience...DS would have died too if he had not been properly restrained.)

American society also generally accepts what is fed to them about vaccinations and western medicine. CPS/Police are called far too often because some of us don't accept.
(and yes I have first hand experience on this as well)

I guess I am having a hard time making my exact point.
Why is okay for one and not the other? What perspective are we truly looking at this issue from? Are we being just as discriminative as those we claim to discriminate because we don't follow the mainstream and accepted society.

Car seats protect children and we all want all children to be protected. But some argue that vaccinations protect children and want all children to be protected.

Am I making any sense?

Nina
Old 10-21-2006, 12:58 PM

I live in a small town in south central Iowa, it's TERRIBLE here. I've called the police on unrestrained kids probably 10 times, just since DS was born.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
Old 10-21-2006, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busybusymomma View Post
I live in south central Indiana and see unrestrained children quite often. Today I saw a 2-3yo child sitting in a regular seatbelt.

I feel really bad for those parents. It is not surprising to me. I truly believe that someone, somewhere at sometime suggested that their 2-3 year old go into a booster seat, and this is what they thought it meant. I have seen MUCH MUCH worse. Oh, I am sad. : Now I won't be able to get them out of my head. :

DC
Old 10-22-2006, 12:04 AM

I would call without a question. I nearly lost my mom and little sister in a car crash. I have lost an uncle and several friends to car crashes. This is not a debate about parenting philosophy or choices. Car crashes kill people, they kill children. They are the leading cause of death for children and adults ages 1 to 34. This is a very serious issue. I find it truly hard to believe that CPS is interested in hunting down parents who get a car seat violation and taking their children. I don't think it is more than a ticket (if that) in any state. These threads are suprising to me... I find it hard to defend not putting your child in a car seat.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Old 10-22-2006, 01:00 AM
Banned

I think the difference between carseats and vaccines is that (to the best of my knowledge), no child has ever died from simply being strapped in a carseat. The same cannot be said about vaccines - and I do have firsthand knowledge of that unfortunately.

That said, I don't see children freely roaming around the backseat, in fact I saw it once and was so shocked by the time I got over the shock enough to think about talking to the parents, the car was gone. If I saw a child of any age in the back of a pickup, I would call the cops. -I saw a dog perched on top of metal doors in the back of a pickup once and I got out at the light and yelled at the driver. If I saw a child unrestrained in the back of a car, I would just say something to the parents.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslmere View Post
Car seats protect children and we all want all children to be protected. But some argue that vaccinations protect children and want all children to be protected.

Am I making any sense?

Nina
You're making sense to me. I hear you Nina.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busybusymomma View Post

My dad put me in one of those when I was little, because he didn't understand the "booster seat" thing.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:20 AM

it is really common to see kids not in carseats where I live. (I am on the border of Mexico and I don't think it's a law there, but lots of people cross the line daily). I mean how do they ticket and enforce it when the car is registered in Mexico? I'm not sure the police here would do much to tell you the truth.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 11-04-2006, 04:11 AM

I always call. Quite frankly I am shocked that people are comparing car seats with vaccines. As the partner of an ER worker, I don't want her coming home ONE MORE TIME to tell me the story of some kid who got killed because they weren't restrained properly. It breaks my heart every time she tells me, and I let her because obviously she needs to tell someone her heart is broken from witnessing the whole thing, at least I don't have to witness it first hand. I always tell these two stories, about the 12 yo told by her aunt to hold her baby cousin in the back seat, they were in an accident, the baby was ejected. No one in the family wanted to tell the girl the baby died, I am sure it will weigh on her mind for the rest of her life "if only I had held her tighter", the aunt should be prosecuted for manslaughter imo. Or the story of an unrestrained baby ejected from the car during a crash, it was dark, the EMS workers and police spent an hour trying to find the baby by the side of the road. Imagine how difficult that would be...... call the police if you see children unrestrained, seriously.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:05 AM

I always call.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:33 PM

It's not very common to see children unrestrained here, but the few times I have, I've called the police. Talking to the parents is a nice idea, in theory, but I'm not willing to chance confronting someone who might shoot me (which is always a possibility).

User Tag List