Curious - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-15-2006, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies
Ppl in poverty don't have the money nor the means to purchase drugs/alcohol.

Wow, talk about a blanket statement. This is untrue for a fairly large portion of people.
My next door squatters (who are not on Section 8, as they are squatting) are in poverty and seem to have come up with money for drugs and alcohol every time I see them.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2006, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies View Post
I highly doubt you know any truly poor ppl. If they have zero money at the end of paying bills, where is the money for alcohol or drugs coming from? Just magically appears?

I know for me, the lease I signed says that if I get any disconnect notice it is grounds for immediate eviction. I can't not afford to pay all my bills.
Do you really need an explanation for how low income people get drugs and alcohol?

Contrary to what you seem to think I know far too many people who have little to no money at the end of paying bills.

Rebecca wife of Megan...moms to six crazy kiddos! Seth (15), Madison (13), Zachary (12), Trevor (12), Alex (10), and Nicholas (9)
Old 10-15-2006, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I guess our definition of poor is different. Some ppl are so poor they cannot afford alcohol or drugs, not even a decent hairbrush.
Yes, if you are an addict, you will find a way, but not all poor ppl are addicts.

You are absolutely correct MITB and noone on this thread said all poor people were addicts.

Rebecca wife of Megan...moms to six crazy kiddos! Seth (15), Madison (13), Zachary (12), Trevor (12), Alex (10), and Nicholas (9)
Old 10-15-2006, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland42 View Post
OnTheFence: You repeatedly say that if you rent to people with Section 8 you don't get to screen the tenants. THIS IS AN UNTRUTH. Because you said this, I downloaded the landlord handbook for Alabama and looked through it. On page 3, in bold, there is the following statement:

Owners are encouraged to carefully screen prospective tenants.

Here is the link: http://www.habd.org/LandlordHandbook.pdf

It took me all of 5 minutes to find this, why did you not do any research before you went shooting off your mouth about being required to rent to druggies by accepting Section 8 housing? You know that there are people on this board who are on Section 8. Don't you think it is bad form to make sweeping generalizations like that? It's not as if everyone in a group of people are all the same. Or just because some are druggies all are.
Okay, I see where it say that I get to screen the tenets -- so clearly I am wrong on this point, still I live in a place where it restricts me from renting to anyone who has section 8 vouchers. I chose, yes I said that, CHOSE to live in a place with this restriction. I have clearly put WHY the restriction is there, and I AGREE WITH IT because historical and statistical evidence is there to support it.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I highly doubt you know any truly poor ppl. If they have zero money at the end of paying bills, where is the money for alcohol or drugs coming from? Just magically appears?

I know for me, the lease I signed says that if I get any disconnect notice it is grounds for immediate eviction. I can't not afford to pay all my bills.
When we were growing up we were friends with people who lived in their truck. Six people lived in a truck with a covered bed. None of the parents worked, but the father always had alcohol. My DH comes from extreme poverty -- yet his father always had alcohol too. The list goes on and on -- even in extreme poverty people can get drugs and alcohol.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:51 PM

Quote:
I guess our definition of poor is different. Some ppl are so poor they cannot afford alcohol or drugs, not even a decent hairbrush.
Yes, if you are an addict, you will find a way, but not all poor ppl are addicts.
That is what we have been saying.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellinghamCrunchie View Post

Section 8 housing didn't CAUSE these problems. Section 8 came in to already-troubled areas because no one else consistently wanted to live there.
This isnt true for where I live. I can actually pin point areas in our city that were perfectly safe until people began buying up properties in those area as "investments" during the early 80s when interest rates were higher and a lot of people lost their jobs and decided to take section 8 vouchers to have "guaranteed" occupants in the homes. My city isn't the lone one in America this happened in.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viewfinder View Post
I do understand your desire to protect your property, and your property values. But the government would not be choosing a tenant for your house, should you be open to that... only YOU can do that. Only YOU can decide WHO will reside in your house.
Just so you know, its not just about the personal control over my particular property, but the entire neighborhood. That is one of the reasons for the rule too. Just call us all snobs and what not, but here is one thing we know -- if our neighbor sales their home, we know that the person purchasing it 1)must qualify for the loan or 2)can pay full price for the home and 3) will abide by all the covenants and restrictions. If my neighbors lease (and yes several do lease their home) we all know that 1) they can afford the rent and 2) they check your credit, employment, etc. and 3) they will abide by all the covenants and the restrictions AND IF they don't they can easily be evicted for breaking their contract. (and yes, renters here have been evicted for not abiding by the covenants and restrictions)
Old 10-15-2006, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viewfinder View Post
Again, let me offer my sincere condolences, On The Fence, for your tragic loss. I have several brothers, and if I lost any to such a crime, I would probably be on a lifelong rampage.
Actually the guy lives not far from me in a half-way house. We do have halfway houses out here believe it or not. (not in our neighborhood, but we actually have one outside our neighborhood on a main road) I've seen him several times and even spoke to him. I forgave him a long time ago, even though he got away with murder.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
Just so you know, its not just about the personal control over my particular property, but the entire neighborhood. That is one of the reasons for the rule too. Just call us all snobs and what not, but here is one thing we know -- if our neighbor sales their home, we know that the person purchasing it 1)must qualify for the loan or 2)can pay full price for the home and 3) will abide by all the covenants and restrictions. If my neighbors lease (and yes several do lease their home) we all know that 1) they can afford the rent and 2) they check your credit, employment, etc. and 3) they will abide by all the covenants and the restrictions AND IF they don't they can easily be evicted for breaking their contract. (and yes, renters here have been evicted for not abiding by the covenants and restrictions)
So could a Section 8 vouchered-renter proudly abide by the CC & Rs in your snobby neighborhood, and they might even be snobbier, and turn other people in for violations. They may be smarter, own a better car, and finer silver and china than you have ever seen or known could exist, handed down through four hundred years of family, and their forebears may have signed the Declaration of Independence, and they may get invited to the White House, and your son may fall in love with and marry their daughter, someday, and your son could be seen as having "married up."

I know you are being attacked, but you represent so many people who's ill-informed attitudes are just horrible, so I am using you as a whipping boy for all the bs that is 'out there.' You just can't imagine the heartbreak of the seeing the stigma of relying on a degree of public assistance trickle down to your children. Because I am in this position, people LIKE YOU are making my life and my child's life less pleasant, because your attitudes are pervasive.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:57 PM

I did ask that this thread remain on topic. I'm going to close it now because it is no longer answering the OP's question.

Thank you.

User Tag List