Wool or Wool/Silk Long Johns - Which do you prefer - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-25-2006, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had ideas of where to put this thread, so I hope it's okay here...I'm getting ready to purchase some long johns for my boys but can't decide between 100% wool or a wool silk blend...all of the descriptions I can find make either sound nice, but I can't find a good comparison of the two...anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 10-26-2006, 12:12 PM

Well, for me it would totally depend on the wool being used in both blends... how soft is it, how well will it wear, etc.

Also, do you want it to be absorbent at all? If that's a big factor, you'd want to stick with the pure wool, probably, since it will absorb a little better. When DS was in diapers, we used wool longies (knitted wool pants) and they absorb quite a bit.

Also, is there a difference in caring for the two? You MIGHT be able to find some washable wool long johns, I think that might be less likely with a silk/wool blend.

All things being equal, if I didn't care much about the above factors and was just shopping online, I would probably get the wool/silk blend because they would probably have a bit more luxurious feel. That's my $.02. Hope this helps!
#3 of 4 Old 10-26-2006, 07:33 PM

For myself I have had WinterSilks silk long underwear and a kind of long underwear called Cuddle Duds. The latter were better. To me the benefit of silk is it is really thin under your clothes, and not bulky at all, but it is not as warm as other long underwear. I have had ruskovilla wool onesies for my kids. They are really soft and comfy. I love them. If the long underwear you are looking at is that kind of quality I would love to have that. One nice thing about wool is you don't have to wash it very often (at least I don't --just air it out when not being worn).

I have never had a wool/silk combo.

Sorry I am not more help! Just curious--where are you considering buying your long underwear from? We could use some.
#4 of 4 Old 11-12-2006, 01:46 AM

:

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page