chocolate in the basket - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 04-15-2003, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I have had two phone conversations today one with my father and the other with my mil about no candy in my ds's Easter basket...and they both are throwing a fit. I suggested books and clothes....
My son is 3 BTW....

So are you ok with chocolate in your little ones Easter baskets?
Or am I just being to much.....lol..

(hope this is not a repeat thread)

Free To Be~
Traci
"Living is learning and when kids are living fully and energetically and happily they are learning a lot, even if we don't always know what it is."
~John Holt 

#2 of 30 Old 04-15-2003, 11:41 PM

Our DD is only 10months old, but we also do not approve of candy in the basket. This is your decision, not theirs. Whatever you say is what goes, IMO. For DD's basket, we're putting a couple of toys and books in there. As she gets older, we'll keeping doing the same thing. I think one or two goodies is okay, but I'd try to lean on the healthier side (maybe cookies made w/ whole wheat flour and fruit juice, etc). Anyway, don't be afraid to put your foot down. If they don't like it, that's their problem.
#3 of 30 Old 04-15-2003, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am sorry. I think candy is a nice treat every now and then. As a child it was the only time we ever got candy and we loved it. for dd we will put mostly stuff in the baskets ut there will also be a small chocolate bunny. It is just fun to have a little candy every now and then. Although this should be your choice and not theirs.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#4 of 30 Old 04-16-2003, 12:23 AM

I agree with lilyka. We give ds chocolate on occasion - the good, high quality stuff (partly because I don't have issues with him having sugar on rare occasions and partly because I have to have my occasional fix and don't like to sneak around :LOL).

I don't know if this would help you feel any better about the possibility of it (because ultimately it is your decision - not the grandparents') but there have been some studies recently showing that chocolate may have some great health benefits. Here's an article for starters:

http://www.immunesupport.com/library...e.cfm/ID/3464/

(We need an easter bunny smiley!)
#5 of 30 Old 04-16-2003, 12:55 AM

Or perhaps a smiley with a guilty looking smile and chocolate smeared on his face :LOL

I bet you can guess the real reason I like to put chocolate in my childrens basket . . .

"hey, there, can mommy have a bite of that bunny . . . "

The bunny, the bunny, ooo I love the bunny. i don't love my soup or my bread just the bunny, the bunny the bunny . . .

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#6 of 30 Old 04-16-2003, 01:26 AM

As a child, the most disappointing things you could put in my easter basket were Chocolate bunnies, Cadbury Cream Eggs and Peeps! Talk about gross.

I think it's YOUR decision. My mom wanted to have DS hunt for eggs. Like he's going to care at all? And then she wondered if I'd let him eat them? WHAT? She asked about chocolate too.

It's your choice. Maybe the grandparents need to find some healthier snacks...maybe some of the neat fruit chewies found in the baby aisle at the grocery? At 3 years old, you'd think he'd like the all natural ones and they are fun to play with. There's also the fruit and snack bars that are like treats, but a bit (not much I reckon) healthier.

It's really up to you!
#7 of 30 Old 04-16-2003, 02:22 AM

Actually those fruit chewies will rot their teeth much faster than chocolate--and the preservatives in them are much more icky!

I think moderation is the key--I am always appreciative that my parents care so much that they want to buy for my kids (they spend hours trying to find the right things and planning surprises--it really is sweet) but have to always remind them to cool it with the candy. I think one good, high quality chocolate bunny and maybe even an evil marshmellow peep (what would easter be with out a dayglo chick?) along with a soft stuffed animal is wonderful.
#8 of 30 Old 04-16-2003, 02:40 AM

Are they the only one's making baskets? Are you doing one too? With my kids I put a few chocolates, a book and a bunny. I wouldn't want them to get 3 baskets full of chocolate... way to much!!!!
But it is up to you!

HEATHERH

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#9 of 30 Old 04-16-2003, 11:27 AM

I put candy in the baskets. I don't think there's anything wrong with a special treat once in a while.
#10 of 30 Old 04-16-2003, 02:00 PM

We are doing a small basket for dd with no food- just colouring books and such. Dh's are doing a basket for her, too. Theirs is pretty much the same as ours, plus one chocolate bunny, which we agreed would be ok.

Amy, mom to Tsuneo, 09/12/01
#11 of 30 Old 04-16-2003, 06:10 PM

You don't really do Easter baskets here in the UK, so we're off the hook (at least until mine are old enough to discover the big chocolate Easter eggs that everyone else is having!), but...

My mom did the 'mostly toys' Easter baskets, but did put in a few treats. Dad always insisted that she got the SMALLEST chocolate Easter bunny she could find to give us...

We were VERY grateful for the bunny, but always disappointed because all of our friends had huge bunnies...

Not sure what my point is! Yes, it is your choice, but I do think that completely denying a child any kind of sugar throughout their childhood can cause more problems than it solves (my dh and his sister weren't allowed any sugar growing up because their dad was diabetic, and they are both horrible now about chocolate and sweets).
#12 of 30 Old 04-16-2003, 06:15 PM

My parents do things like stickers, goldfish and popcorn in eggs and hide them around their yard for the kids to find.

My inlaws give us pounds and pounds and pounds of candy. We tell the kids that it belongs to the whole family, we give them small amounts each day for awhile, and then throw a lot of it out. After I've eaten out the chocolate, of course.

We ourselves give them cool little things -- this year, wood puzzles for the younger one and a flower press for the older one. Along with a very minimal token amount of candy for the novelty factor.
#13 of 30 Old 04-16-2003, 07:54 PM

i think that they should follow your wishes, however, i don't think a little chocolate would hurt. it would be a special treat for a special holiday. however, you offered alternatives-books, toys, stickers, crayons, etc., and that gives them PLENTY of alternatives. you could also suggest that they at least buy organic chocolate. good luck
#14 of 30 Old 04-16-2003, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Oh thanks everyone for your responses....

I agree with everyones views here....

Yes, he is going to be getting mulitple baskets from my mom, dh's mom, my Dad(parents divorced), and books will be coming from fil (we did not even ask...he always shows up with boks no matter what the holiday...lol...cool!) and we have one for him too .....
so I just did not want baskets all over the house with candy overflowing and no other treats....which is what they want to do all candy and nothing else....

I got chocolate in my baskets when I was growing up too but not at 3 y/o I do non't think....hhmmm..

I do not deprive him of sugar all the time; he gets "treats," cookies(sugar free/organic) and chocolate ice cream(sugar free) and we did let him have chocolate on valentines day, so I guess I could bend a little here and let him have a smitten of choco bunny. I don't know....... I will see what happens...

thanks all

Free To Be~
Traci
"Living is learning and when kids are living fully and energetically and happily they are learning a lot, even if we don't always know what it is."
~John Holt 

#15 of 30 Old 04-17-2003, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by apmamma
I do not deprive him of sugar all the time; he gets "treats," cookies(sugar free/organic) and chocolate ice cream(sugar free)
I am wondering what you mean by "sugar free"? Do you give sugar substitues like sacharine or nutrasweet (or splenda)? Or is their honey in there to sweeten it? Chocolate would be very bitter with no sugar--but I have seen *diet* chocolate with artificial sweetener in it. I am not a fan of giving artificial sweeteners to kids. Things that are sweetened with fruit sweeteners (like juice) are actually about the same health wise on our bodies--but are a bit more likely to cause dental cavities.

I could be totally in the dark here and not know about these particular sugar free products, so please enlighten me...

#16 of 30 Old 04-17-2003, 04:00 PM

Yes, we are putting some chocolate in, but not as much as my family "thinks" we should We didn't put any in last year.

My dd has already gotten 3 baskets from family - wow! - and dh and I eat most of the chocolate and give her the toys and books (and some chocolate).

Frankly, it didn't occur to me to tell them what to put in the baskets. But my dd is only 1.5 yrs old so I know we can get away with eating her stuff. Is it harder when the kids are 3???
#17 of 30 Old 04-17-2003, 07:13 PM

Nah - you can still get away with not giving the kids most of their candy when they are 3 (not sure about when they get older).

I still have most of the girls' Christmas candy in our fridge. Funnily enough, I bought most of it for them myself, but I just haven't been able to bring myself to dole it out! : I think we have four candy bracelets and a couple of bags of coke bottles (which were dh's actually) left...

If they are still around this coming Christmas, maybe they'll do as stocking fillers again?!
#18 of 30 Old 04-18-2003, 03:15 AM

DD already brought a basket with candy home from school last week! She is picky so the candy is still there-except for what Iate! lol Our "problem" is 20 month old DS who has been known to find candy and chew through the wrapper! See, it was never an issue if she got much before b/c it would just sit there, but now with DS we have to reassess our situation!lol Keep in mind, the boy likes soda (sure we let him try when he begged, DD did and has hated it since, wouldn't he? NOPE!) Wine-DD spit it across Grandma's dining room table, kids hate tha tstuff right? NO WAY< GGrandpa (the only alcohol drinker DS is around) often) has to hide his glasses of wine when DS is around now!

All that said, I buy last but will avoid too much candy for sure now. It was much easier havign a one kid who loved to get it, but never ate it!!
#19 of 30 Old 04-18-2003, 03:52 AM

I admit that my daughter loves dark chocolate and we will be putting chocolate in her basket. It can be hard to find organic dark chocolate bunnies though! (at least where I am at.) We spice it up with some Playmobile people, the farm set with the bunnies etc. She seems to not care as much about the amount of candy as long as she gets what she deems "cool candy." The toys also help because here cousins eat as much candy as they can in one day and then have nothing to do so we have started adding the toys and that seems to help the family gathering progress smoother. (granted i now bring extra toys as our family's additon to everyone's Easter)

Lula
#20 of 30 Old 04-18-2003, 04:43 AM

Exactly what bad thing will happen if they have a little chocolate? When my first son was little, I was fr3eaked out about evrything. Now, I have three boys ages 6, 4, and almost 2 and I am much more philosophical about things. My boys have a terrible reaction to food coloring, so there is a zero tolerance policy to that. Their behavior gets really bad with a build up of corn, soy, or dairy, so they can have some, but not alot. but, I do not usually deny them food. I do not want food to become a big deal to them. Also, the child, grandparent relationship is so precious that I am quite a bit more lenient with it. I want them to have good momories of each other, not memories of resentment or deprivation.
So, her is what I would do in that situation: After gps went home, I would sit the kids down and talk about how nice it was of the gps to give them so much candy. Then, I would remind them that a lot of candy isnt good for them and that there are other little kids in town who dont have any candy. SO, I would let them choose a weeks worth(maybe two per day) and tell them that whatever they dont choose we will take to a food bank or to a widow in the neighborhood. Then they would choose adn we would put it in the basket and put the basket up. Then, every night after supper, we would have a splendid treat and talk about the treat that grandpa gave us. We would probably call grandpa at some point during the week, while we were enjoying our treats, and thank him again for the treats, and tell him how much we are enjoying them and tell him what we did iwth the rest of them. If gd gave me grief for giving it away, I would thank him for giving us SO much that we did have enough to give away,a nd spread the true Easter spirit around some.
#21 of 30 Old 04-18-2003, 04:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by lula
I admit that my daughter loves dark chocolate and we will be putting chocolate in her basket.
Mine too! I'll put a little bit of candy in her Easter basket, just so I'll have something to eat. A little really goes a long way, and she really loves stuffed animals, so she is getting a big one of those and a few candy treats.

I remember as a kid that I just didn't like most of the candy in my basket. We would get those solid milk chocolate bunnies that were so big, and my mom would put them in the fridge. My dad would trim a piece of each night with his pocket knife, and eventually it would go away. I loved the malted milk eggs and the Reese's peanut butter eggs, but some of those marshmallow things were disgusting, and I never liked jelly beans (my dad's favorites).
#22 of 30 Old 04-18-2003, 09:08 AM

i'm making my ds an easter basket as well.. not too much candy.
i put in some stuff i picked up at the dollar store.

2 board books
popcicle molds
bubbles
small chocolate bunny
and a few orange jelly beans (only ones he will eat)

i think he'll enjoy those

peace mamas

~mary
#23 of 30 Old 04-21-2003, 01:47 PM

Unless a child is allergic to chokolate or has problme with sugar, having a good qulity chokolate candy will not do any harm. Chokolate is actually good for you becuase it raises your serotonins levles and had tons of anti oxidants. It is nice to have a treat once in while and break rules on the holidays. I can never forbid chokolate to my kids becuase I love it myself. I am against junk candies with red food coloring inthem, but chokolate? It is practically health food. Make your relative buy the good staff and teach you kids about moderation,i.e. we are not going to eat allt he chokolate at once, a piec after dinner or lunch and you will be fine. Remebr, forbidden fruit alway tastes sweeter
#24 of 30 Old 04-22-2003, 12:23 AM

I don't put chocolate or candy in my dd's Easter basket as I know her grandparents give her plenty. From us she gets, some sort of stuffed animal, books, bubbles (dd LOVES bubbles), hair thingies..ect ect..

I don't get too excited about deviant grandparent behavior..it would be a waste of breath with my dd's grandparents (my parents included :LOL)

Not all those who wander are lost 
#25 of 30 Old 04-22-2003, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by LisainCalifornia
I am wondering what you mean by "sugar free"? Do you give sugar substitues like sacharine or nutrasweet (or splenda)? Or is their honey in there to sweeten it?
Sweeten with honey or they are gluten free cookies(dehydrated cane juice).
I do not give sugar substitutes...
hth

for all those who are wondering...yes, I did give my ds one hershey's kiss...he loved it and hasn't asked for any more since....
thanks for all your reponses it has been fun!

Free To Be~
Traci
~John Holt 

#26 of 30 Old 04-22-2003, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I am wondering what you mean by "sugar free"? Do you give sugar substitues like sacharine or nutrasweet (or splenda)? Or is their honey in there to sweeten it?
hth

for all those who are wondering...yes, I did give my ds one hershey's kiss...he loved it and hasn't asked for any more since....

Free To Be~
Traci
~John Holt 

#27 of 30 Old 04-22-2003, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
hth

Free To Be~
Traci
~John Holt 

#28 of 30 Old 04-22-2003, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
hth

Free To Be~
Traci
~John Holt 

#29 of 30 Old 04-22-2003, 06:10 PM

Quote:
[BThings that are sweetened with fruit sweeteners (like juice) are actually about the same health wise on our bodies--but are a bit more likely to cause dental cavities.

I could be totally in the dark here and not know about these particular sugar free products, so please enlighten me...

[/B]
I use a 3 "P"s sweetener...peach, pear and pineapple juice concentrate syrup, as a sweetener and my body responds way better to that than any cane or beet sugar product, it simply takes longer for it to get into my bloodstream. I'm not worried about cavities, give me my chocolate (which is very tasty sweetened with rice syrup)
#30 of 30 Old 04-23-2003, 12:09 AM

My son got chocolate, but I had phoned MIL in advance and asked her to take it easy, and fill up the little plastic eggs with things like pretzels, small crackers, and dried fruit as well.
I think he had about 30 plastic eggs to find and all together there were probably about 5 or 6 tiny chocolate eggs. (he ate two)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page