Should I replace my car seats? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-17-2003, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was in an accident yesterday. There was a freak snowstorm and we skidded out, spun around 2 times and ended up backwards in a deep ditch. There is no damage to the car whatsoever. I really don't want to replace the seats if I don't have to because I just bought both of them 2 months ago and we are REALLY broke.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#2 of 13 Old 04-17-2003, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, yes, yes. Even if you can't see any damage on them, and even if the car wasn't damaged, you need to replace them. It is my impression that your insurance will cover them. I have spoken to people whose insurance company fought them tooth and nail on most of the accident claim but didn't blink when it came to replacing the car seats. I hope that is the case with you.

Good luck, and hopefully no more accidents!
#3 of 13 Old 04-17-2003, 05:01 PM

I'm sorry but yes, imo. They could have invisible cracks inside them where you can't see the stress that would split apart in another accident with serious consequences to your children's safety. And when you toss them out, make sure no one can steal them from your trash and reuse them. Give the insurance company a call and see what they say.

#4 of 13 Old 04-17-2003, 05:05 PM

Is there no way they can be inspected? From what you've described, your car did not actually hit anything, it just spun around a couple times, right? I can't see how that puts any strain on the car seat (and if it did, it might not be a very good one!!).

Honestly, I may be a rotten mama for this, but I probably wouldnt replace them. Two car seats? Wow. Mucho $$.

[However, if insurance would cover the costs then go for it!]

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#5 of 13 Old 04-17-2003, 05:24 PM

Definitely call your insurance co.
#6 of 13 Old 04-17-2003, 06:04 PM

Not only do you need to replace them but you have to do it in a way that makes sure no one else can get their hands on them and use them. Call your local fire station or public health office. They can help you with this.

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#7 of 13 Old 04-17-2003, 06:12 PM

Some insurance companies will pay to have the carseat replaced.

I had my seat inspected and I was told I did not have to replace the whole thing but the seat belt part of the car seat. Just like your seat belt should be replaced after an accident.
#8 of 13 Old 04-18-2003, 05:58 PM

I'm going to back you up here, Piglet68. I'd say that if no one was injured AT ALL (including small brusing and achy muscles), then the seat going to be okay as well.

On the other hand if you can get the insurance company to cover it, by all means act on the cautious side. For most of us though, $120 at the cheapest is a lot of money.
#9 of 13 Old 04-18-2003, 11:46 PM

I usually agee with militant car seat replacing, but I don't think you need to if the car didn't hit anything. I think there are places that will inspect them for you, but IMO it sounds safe not to. I know your insurance will go up if you try to get them to cover the seat, if you do replace them, I would just do it on my own. I know, I know, what's the point of insurance anyway?
Lauren
#10 of 13 Old 04-19-2003, 12:05 AM

Of course, after you pay the deductible, you likely wouldn't gain anything anyway.

I am a militant car seat person also, but I likely wouldn't replace my seats unless there was an impact of some sort.
#11 of 13 Old 04-19-2003, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wouldn't replace them and I am a millitant car seat replacer. You didn't hit anything and it doesn't sound like you even came to a really sudden stop (no more than if you slammed on your breaks at a stop sign probably) Consider it a little off roading.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#12 of 13 Old 04-19-2003, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Piglet68
Is there no way they can be inspected? From what you've described, your car did not actually hit anything, it just spun around a couple times, right? I can't see how that puts any strain on the car seat (and if it did, it might not be a very good one!!).
if she spun around and ended up in a deep ditch, she at least hit hte ditch.

i would not take chances with my childs only line of defense in an accident.
#13 of 13 Old 04-19-2003, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BathrobeGoddess
Not only do you need to replace them but you have to do it in a way that makes sure no one else can get their hands on them and use them. Call your local fire station or public health office. They can help you with this.
what i did when i was in an accident was take the seat totally apart, padding, belts, everything, and got a big black permanent marker and wrote ACCIDENT CAR SEAT--DO NOT USE all over it and then put it all i the garbage can.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page