Don't cops have anything better to do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 205 Old 11-02-2006, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't want to debate peoples opinion's of booster seat laws and ages I just want to vent about a cop being ridiculous.

The booster seat law in Oregon is 6 years old or 60 lbs. I have yet to figure out if it is which comes first or last. Regardless DD is going to be 8 in six days and weighs 67lbs. DH just got pulled over because she wasn't in a booster seat. : Hello!! Couldn’t you find someone who was actually breaking a law to harass??? DD is by NO MEANS small for her age either. DH is 6'6" so she is among the tallest of her age group.

DH was told since she was borderline she should be in a booster seat. Two years over the age is boarderline????
#2 of 205 Old 11-02-2006, 02:54 PM

Nice

In washington your child wouldnt even be required to be in a booster seat

. 1 year of age or under or weighing less than 20 pounds:
a rear facing infant seat

. Between 1 - 4 years old or 20 - 40 pounds:
a forward facing child safety seat

. Between 4 - 6 years old or 40 - 60 pounds:
a booster seat with a lap and shoulder belt

. 6 years old or 60 pounds and greater:
a seatbelt or a booster seat with a lap and shoulder belt

Partner to :Jessica(??) papa to Jake(7) and : Kaiya (2)
#3 of 205 Old 11-02-2006, 02:55 PM

If the law is 6 years and 60 pounds, I'd fight the ticket. It's all about perception, I suppose, but when it comes down to it, the law's the law and since your husband was following the law, he deserves no trouble.
#4 of 205 Old 11-02-2006, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarinet View Post
If the law is 6 years and 60 pounds, I'd fight the ticket. It's all about perception, I suppose, but when it comes down to it, the law's the law and since your husband was following the law, he deserves no trouble.
Did he get a ticket?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#5 of 205 Old 11-02-2006, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Did he get a ticket?

Oh, I don't know. I just assumed.
#6 of 205 Old 11-02-2006, 02:59 PM

I know you're venting, but since you put it out there...

no, I can't think of a better thing for them to be doing. Making sure a child is properly restrained is part of their job... I guess you'd be surprised how many people DO NOT abide by the carseat laws. I'm happy to know that if my husband sees someone with a child that appears to need to still be in a carseat/booster, he'll pull them over and check. A few minutes of wasted time for your dh, but for the next person, it may save a child's life. I think if you asked anyone that has scooped a child up off the street after an accident what they thought, they'd agree.

I think that making sure they are good with the weight & age limit is the best way to go. If my daughter is less than 60 lbs at 10, she'll still be in her carseat.

ETA: My dd is 4, right at 40 lbs and she's in her Marathon.

I don't want to argue, just wanted to add another viewpoint.

One more thing, I don't think he should have gotten a ticket.
#7 of 205 Old 11-02-2006, 03:00 PM

I'm in Oregon too and that law irks me. I have a house full of skinny kids. My ds is also 8years old but he only weighs 50lbs. It could take him until he's 10, or longer, before he's 60lbs at the rate that he gains weight. He's the only one of his friends who's still required to sit in a booster seat and he gets embarrassed. Not that safety doesn't come first, but still...

I don't know if your dh got a ticket, but I'd definately fight it if he did. I can't believe that he even got pulled over for that.
#8 of 205 Old 11-02-2006, 03:05 PM

it does suck that he got pulled over, when i see babies in arms or tiny kids standing in backseats of cars, but as long as he wasn't actually ticketed, i think it is a good thing that the cops in your area actually care about making sure the kids are safe.

my ex is giving me a hard time at the moment that joe is still using a booster seat. he will be eight in feb. and weighs somewhere between 55-60 pounds. there are commercials airing here that say 4'9'' is the magic number- but i am just committed to keeping him in the booster till feb. when he turrns eight.
#9 of 205 Old 11-02-2006, 03:06 PM

I think it's 8 and 80 lbs here. I don't think it's a big deal, DS2 is going to be 8 this month but is about 50 lbs. He sits in his booster seat, he's not tall enough for the seatbelt to fit him properly without it. I don't think weight should be the issue but rather height, a lot of little people meet the "requirements" but still need a booster for safety reasons.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#10 of 205 Old 11-02-2006, 03:13 PM

80 pounds? I didn't reach 80 until 8th grade!
#11 of 205 Old 11-02-2006, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm sorry but I don't think that's a bad use of police time. I understand your annoyance, though.
#12 of 205 Old 11-02-2006, 03:15 PM

I've been pulled over by an Oregon cop for the same thing (no ticket). I'm sorry, but after being failed so miserably by the Oregon police when I was getting beat up, I can't help but think they don't have anything better to do. Donuts and harrassing moms, that's their job.

(hoping no one here has an Oregon cop DH If so, we'll exclude him for the sake of saving me from tomatos being thrown at me)

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#13 of 205 Old 11-02-2006, 03:21 PM

Ok, here is the law here (I guess they can be out of a booster seat if they are 4'9 and less than 80 lbs) DS1 is only 4' ish so he has a long way to go still

Effective August 28, 2006, Missouri law will require children to be transported in a booster seat
if they:
• weigh at least forty pounds, regardless of their age, or
• are at least four years of age but less than eight years; or
• weigh at least forty pounds but less than eighty pounds; or
• are less than 4 feet 9 inches tall.
If there is no combination lap and shoulder belt to accommodate a booster seat, then the child
otherwise required to ride in a booster seat may be transported in the back seat with only a lap
belt.
When there are more children in the driver’s immediate family than available seating positions,
their children who are not able to be restrained using a child safety restraint device must sit in
the back seat.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#14 of 205 Old 11-02-2006, 03:24 PM

It's 8 and 80 lbs here too. My almost 12 yr old TALL daughter is only 67. She is not about to sit in a booster.
#15 of 205 Old 11-02-2006, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshua View Post
Nice

In washington your child wouldnt even be required to be in a booster seat

. 1 year of age or under or weighing less than 20 pounds:
a rear facing infant seat

. Between 1 - 4 years old or 20 - 40 pounds:
a forward facing child safety seat

. Between 4 - 6 years old or 40 - 60 pounds:
a booster seat with a lap and shoulder belt

. 6 years old or 60 pounds and greater:
a seatbelt or a booster seat with a lap and shoulder belt
She is not required to be in one in Oregon either, and only until June Yoshua:
Quote:
Washington's New Child Restraint Law
The Washington legislature also updated their child passenger safety law with House Bill 1475. This is a primary law and the fine is $101. It will take effect June 1, 2007.

The law has three provisions:

Requires children to use a child safety seat or booster seat up until age eight unless they are four foot nine inches tall.
Requires children under 13 to be seated in the back seat when practical to do so.
Provides liability protection for Child Passenger Safety (CPS) technicians.
The liability protection for CPS Technicians reads: A person who has a current national certification as a CPS technician and who in good faith provides inspection, adjustment, or educational services regarding child passenger restraint systems is not liable for civil damages resulting from any act or omission in providing the services, other than acts or omissions constituting gross negligence or willful or wanton misconduct.
Until I read the effective date I thought we had broken the law several times. DH works in Vancouver so we go up there occasionally. But since it is not in effect yet, and DD#1 recently turned 13 and DD#2 is soon to be 8 I don't think we have a problem. The little ones will be in car seats for some time to come yet anyway.

And no DH did not get a ticket but DD was late for school.
#16 of 205 Old 11-02-2006, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmom View Post
it does suck that he got pulled over, when i see babies in arms or tiny kids standing in backseats of cars, but as long as he wasn't actually ticketed, i think it is a good thing that the cops in your area actually care about making sure the kids are safe.
ITA. I wish cops around here would pull people over for the "little" things - what, it's been three, four years since the "no cell handset while driving" law was enacted here, and I STILL see idiots every day yammering away on their : cells and doing 75 on the highway. : But of course the cops aren't gonna see them, 'cause they're going *85* (non-emergency). Argh.

And then I see the unrestrained kids climbing around in cars, the moms driving with their babe in a Bjorn, the carseats that are NOT properly installed and/or buckled (loose straps, chest plate threaded wrong)...

Ugh, I digress. OP - if your H didn't get ticketed, I see nothing wrong with the cop being extra cautious.

But then, 1/2 of my family was involved in a bad accident and I know firsthand the utmost importance of proper restraint (not to mention, smaller kids being in the back seat whenever possible).

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#17 of 205 Old 11-02-2006, 03:38 PM

we have the same law in Cali..I have no idea what the law is here in TX..Anyone know?? but hello 60lbs or 6y/o..i would fight it...my son was out of his booster sit when he was 5 cuz he weighed 65lbs.. i would have asked to cop to pulll a scale out of his car and weigh DD..but thats just me.

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all , Loving their daddy, my hubby, our soldier
#18 of 205 Old 11-02-2006, 03:38 PM

He sounds like my kind of cop. He cares enough to pull people over for driving around with unrestrained children.

Children really need to be in booster seats until 4'9" and 80 lbs, minimally. Regardless of what your law is, please consider the officer's advice. Please put your dd in a booster seat.
#19 of 205 Old 11-02-2006, 03:38 PM

Sharlla ~ Do you have a link? My Doc had a poster up in her office that Missouri is now 8 & 80lbs. Perhaps the poster is simplified? Just curious. I'd love to witness a legitimate pull over for lack of carseat use. Just the other day I saw three intelligent, fun loving young women driving along. The woman in the back was holding a tiny baby and the carseat sat alongside her, empty. I'm not even sure if the carseat was installed. : They were chatting, smiling, having a great time. It really takes so little to injure a baby, just a fender bender :

When I worked as a bank teller we'd see people come through the drive through with unbelted children of all ages. : We had an 800 # we'd call to report, not sure if the reports were ever followed up on though.
#20 of 205 Old 11-02-2006, 03:39 PM

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...ient=firefox-a

It's on page 3

#21 of 205 Old 11-02-2006, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellbelle View Post
ITA. I wish cops around here would pull people over for the "little" things - what, it's been three, four years since the "no cell handset while driving" law was enacted here, and I STILL see idiots every day yammering away on their : cells and doing 75 on the highway. : But of course the cops aren't gonna see them, 'cause they're going *85* (non-emergency). Argh.

And then I see the unrestrained kids climbing around in cars, the moms driving with their babe in a Bjorn, the carseats that are NOT properly installed and/or buckled (loose straps, chest plate threaded wrong)...

Ugh, I digress. OP - if your H didn't get ticketed, I see nothing wrong with the cop being extra cautious.

But then, 1/2 of my family was involved in a bad accident and I know firsthand the utmost importance of proper restraint (not to mention, smaller kids being in the back seat whenever possible).

I'm in 100% agreement with you on this. My motto, better safe than sorry. They were just doing their job. This is how we reduce the amount of fatalities in children in fatal car crashes.

Kylin 10/14/2002

Aja 8/13/2004

Evie 3/11/2010

2 angels in Heaven (Alexis & Bryson)

Currently NTNP for baby #4 dust.gif

#22 of 205 Old 11-02-2006, 03:47 PM

I just looked our laws up b/c I thought they were 6 yrs and 60 lbs. Apparently, they are 4 and 40. They are looking to change legislation in our state to 8 and 80.

My crew are in boosters still. My oldest is 11 and weighs under 70 lbs. My nine year old is the only one who is out of the booster some as she is 82 lbs. My eight year old is around 73 lbs. They are the same height and the seat belts in our van don't fit right unless they are sitting still at all times, which rarely happens. My five year old is still in a five point car seat.

Rebecca wife of Megan...moms to six crazy kiddos! Seth (15), Madison (13), Zachary (12), Trevor (12), Alex (10), and Nicholas (9)
#23 of 205 Old 11-02-2006, 03:47 PM

Yes I do think it's a waste of police time. If the child was completely unstrapped then go for it. But clearly this was at most a borderline judgement call on even questioning it since the child was strapped in and is over the weight and age limit.
#24 of 205 Old 11-02-2006, 03:51 PM

I wish cops around here would stop for improperly restrained children as well. I see it all the time, and I'm reminded of one accident on the highway recently. A woman rolled her car and had her 2 year old daughter in a properly fitting carseat in the back. Mom was flown away in critical condition. Daughter was FINE, except for some facial lacerations due to glass. Incredible.

It's not so much the law that you have to worry about... it's the safety of your children. Your kids could be within the parameters of the law, but if the seatbelt is fitting improperly, it could cost you their health, or their life. For your almost 8 year old, and inexpensive $20 backless booster will make her seatbelt fit better.

Just chalk this up to 'information is power'.
#25 of 205 Old 11-02-2006, 03:51 PM

i agree too.. i wish the cops around here would care enough to stop cars..I se cars with ppl piled in them.. like 4 ppl in the cab of a truck..and ppl rideing unrestraind in the bed of a pick up..in cali you aren;t allowed to do that.. i was shocked..her you don't have to wear a helmet either...:

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all , Loving their daddy, my hubby, our soldier
#26 of 205 Old 11-02-2006, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houdini View Post
I just looked our laws up b/c I thought they were 6 yrs and 60 lbs. Apparently, they are 4 and 40. They are looking to change legislation in our state to 8 and 80.

My crew are in boosters still. My oldest is 11 and weighs under 70 lbs. My nine year old is the only one who is out of the booster some as she is 82 lbs. My eight year old is around 73 lbs. They are the same height and the seat belts in our van don't fit right unless they are sitting still at all times, which rarely happens. My five year old is still in a five point car seat.
You rock!
#27 of 205 Old 11-02-2006, 03:54 PM

you can send those police here, i see kids out of seatbelts everyday! i call 911 everytime, but i can't imagine they always respond.
#28 of 205 Old 11-02-2006, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAMACITA* View Post
i agree too.. i wish the cops around here would care enough to stop cars..I se cars with ppl piled in them.. like 4 ppl in the cab of a truck..and ppl rideing unrestraind in the bed of a pick up..in cali you aren;t allowed to do that.. i was shocked..her you don't have to wear a helmet either...:

Yeah here there are ALOT of ppl (mainly soldiers) who ride w/out helmets. The dealers here are even selling cycles without a license...thats why there are so many wrecks here.

Kylin 10/14/2002

Aja 8/13/2004

Evie 3/11/2010

2 angels in Heaven (Alexis & Bryson)

Currently NTNP for baby #4 dust.gif

#29 of 205 Old 11-02-2006, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDSmomma6 View Post
It's 8 and 80 lbs here too. My almost 12 yr old TALL daughter is only 67. She is not about to sit in a booster.
I make my 9 year old sit in a booster. If they don't weigh enough the seatbelt won't lock ( quick enough) in case of an accident. I don't care if it's uncool.
#30 of 205 Old 11-02-2006, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannarachel View Post
He sounds like my kind of cop. He cares enough to pull people over for driving around with unrestrained children.

Children really need to be in booster seats until 4'9" and 80 lbs, minimally. Regardless of what your law is, please consider the officer's advice. Please put your dd in a booster seat.
I agree. 15 pounds to go ...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page